E3C worth the extra $$ over E2s?
May 7, 2004 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

modestninja

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to get some canal phones for when noice cancelling is needed and can't really afford to be spending more than $150 (and even that is stretching my budget as a student). I considered the etys in the price range, but I'd trade some analyticity for a stronger low-end. Anyway, for the most part I listen to indie music (or whatever you call bands like modest mouse), punk, ska, some hip-hop and rap as well as some folk. So having a decent low end is worth more to me than very analytic highs.

To you guys are the E3c worth the extra $50 you have to spend to get them? What does the extra $50 bring? Thanks.

May 7, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 33
I think you should stick with the E2s, especially if bass is important to you and given your musical tastes. From what I understand, the E3s sacrifice a prominent low-end for the midrange. I have the E2s and find them perfectly acceptable for listening to "indie rock."

A general comment about upgrading headphones, if you likie stuff like Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, etc... especially their older stuff, going for more expensive and presumably more revealing headphone might be counter-productive. It will only show you the flaws in the recordings.

BTW, saw Modest Mouse live last month. They certainly do rock in person!

May 7, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 33
I agree with the consensus, stick with your E2's. I was gonna make the upgrade to the E3's, but I would miss the lower frequencies too much. I'd only upgrade to the ER-4's or E5's, which cost considerably more.

May 7, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 33
Well I wouldn't say that bass is really important to me in my music, it's just that I like having some bass and from what I've read the stys in this price range ER-6 have little bass but excellent highs.

Out of curiosity, which of these two phones has more of the Grado sound. I really like my MS1s and would use them for everything if they weren't such a b*tch to carry around and provided some noise cancelling...

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 33
the e3's have major issues with presenting the lowend frequency spectrum.

i am gonna say it again. the er-4s have more pleasing bass response than the e3's. this means they have more bass audible to lower ranges, and more visceral impact overall. it's true.

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 33
new record - 7 post.

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 33
new record - 7 post.

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 33
new record - 7 post.

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 33
new record - 7 post.

May 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 33
new record - 7 post.

May 8, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 33
wow, what...just...happened...

May 8, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 33
When I had the E3s, I also thought they were worth the extra money over the E2s. I sold my pair to move onto some full-sized headphones, but I'm now going back...reordered a pair of E3s a couple of days ago and cannot wait to receive them.

May 8, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 33
i love my E2s ......

Looks-wise

well call me weird but i do prefer the look of the E2s to the E3s. As i could no find a place to test out the phones before purchase, i got to base a small percentage on looks and to add i wanted the phone cable to go behind my back as as to give me bigger ease of use
biggrin.gif

IMHO, E3s may give off the impression that you are trying to imitate the stage performers behind the ear stage monitors look with normal ear phones. I mean, be honest, how many non-serious "headphiles" will know that we are using a Shure ? Their first thought will most likely be that "hey he's trying to look cool but acting cool aint cool man"

At least the e2s look as if they are meant to go behind the ear an dwould not give out such impressions.

Sound

hmm.... well i listen to a lot of jazz and pop.

i can basically feel the base notes on the jazz recordings . it feels exactly like how i feel when i am in a jazz lounge. i can feel the vibration ( for lack of a more appropriate word) of the base note hitting me.

consider me a very satisfied customer of E2
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back