E2c vs E3c
Jun 2, 2004 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I plan to use them a lot in the gym, walking to/from work, and possibly in other miscellaneous situations (eg at work when I want really good isolation, or very occasionally on planes). I have decided on the E2C and ordered them, but because of delays I cancelled the order.

Are the E3C worth the extra $$$? They don't look as stupid, but I was wondering if they sound much better, or if they're more comfortable?

I'd prefer replies from people that have used both, if possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 22
It really does depend on what you want. I found the E3s uncomfortable and too lacking in bass. Despite what anyone says the over ear cable doesn't work as well as the other Shure earphones.

The E2 are excellent. Good sound if you don't mind missing a little of the highs and the comfort is so much better than the E3s.

You can sleep with the E2s, but with the E3s this is a definite no. The E2 may appear bulky but they fit in the outer ear perfectly.

Jun 2, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 22
in my opinion, no.

i have NOT heard the e2's, but the e3's will NOT get you going at the gym due to their low end frequency reproduction capabilities, or lack thereof.

the e5's would be great for the gym, if you really think you'd want to use iem's there.

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 22
I'm not too worried about sound quality at the gym - I enjoy my bass, but mainly i'm after comfort and isolation. I'm just thinking for other uses it might be better to have accurate reproduction rather than bass heavy reproduction, if indeed the E3 is better.

Big D - are you saying that the E3 cable isn't as good as the E2 cable?

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Big D - are you saying that the E3 cable isn't as good as the E2 cable?

If you look at the design of the E2 the cable comes out by the tragus (the little flappy bit nearest the eye). It automatically goes up and over the ear in this position.

With the E3, because of the design, the cable has to go back in toward the head before it can loop over the ear. It doesn't feel as natural, though the E3 can be worn in opposite ears and then not worn over the ear. Left in right ear and vice versa. This means the cord dangles down and they can be worn conventionally.

As far as the cable goes I think both are sturdy.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 22
I have the E2 and they are all around the best. I have the ER4S to and they are like the E3 in design and are not as good for mobile use. I use my E2 while cutting the lawn or painting around the house with my Sony network and it sounds wonderful in a small fairly durable to take anywhere.......finally!!!
etysmile.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
It really does depend on what you want. I found the E3s uncomfortable and too lacking in bass. Despite what anyone says the over ear cable doesn't work as well as the other Shure earphones.

The E2 are excellent. Good sound if you don't mind missing a little of the highs and the comfort is so much better than the E3s.

You can sleep with the E2s, but with the E3s this is a definite no. The E2 may appear bulky but they fit in the outer ear perfectly.

I had the opposite experience from a comfort standpoint. I sold my e2s and bought the e3s. I find the e3s to be infinitely more comfortable. The new soft flex sleeves make a world of difference for my ears and they are smaller and lighter as well. I didn't like wrapping the cord over my ears and with the e3s, it's much easier not to. I couldn't keep the e2s in for much more than an hour at a time. Of course the fit issue is not as big if you use the same tips on both.

I'll agree on the sound quality. The e3s have better, more detailed highs but the e2s have better bass. As some have mentioned, I would consider the e2s to be a better "gym phone" as they are cheaper (you don't want to sweat all over expensive phones), seem more durable (thicker cord), and have better bass (which is a plus in the gym, I would think).

But I find the e3s to better overall for everyday listening.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 22
I've read that the ER-4 have a bad case with microphonics, you might want to consider this.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
I've read that the ER-4 have a bad case with microphonics, you might want to consider this.

I've read the same thing. The questions for me is should I get the Etys for work/portable listening and put up with the microphonics in the gym, or get the cheaper E2C's. The reason i'm considering the Etys is that they could be good for work - sound quality approaching that of my CD3000s, but with isolation. Am I right about this?

Edit - bah - i've just read that the CD3Ks are definitely a step above the ER4s, so they won't replace them at work. I'm having such a hard time trying to choose in-earphones... I had settled on the E2Cs but then I start to consider the Etys... bah, I give up.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 22
don't even think about using the etys in the gym.

microphonics...and terrible ergonomics.

they stick out of your head a few inches and there's no way you're not gonna snag them on something while you're working out.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 22
If it helps at all.....

Even in normal sitting down use I found the ER4s liked to work themselves a little loose over the course of an hour or two. If you were running or working out I'm sure they'd get looser quicker.

Besides if you are keeping your CD3000 for work use then it makes the choice of the E2c even easier for the gym. I would definitely take the E2c over the E3, E5, and ER4 for using in the gym.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 22
i would have to agree with d.

the e2's make the most sense for the gym.

they've got the bass, and if something happens to them, it's not a big deal.

sure the e5's are *better* but if something happens to those...

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Thanks for your advice people. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, but apparently that's not going to work very well. I guess i'll get some E2c's for the gym, but that still leaves me with my other dilemma... what do I use at work when I want more isolation? The loud air conditioning drives me crazy at times, and the CD3K has no isolation at all
frown.gif

I have another thread about this somewhere... but I don't think there is a closed version of the Cd3K to be had
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back