E2c or ER6 a better choice for iPod Mini?
Jun 1, 2004 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've heard both of these phones before, but have never tried either pair with the iPod Mini. Which would be a better choice? The iPod is a little on the bright side, so I was wondering if the E2's would tame some of that brightness and add a little more body. I don't use any of the EQ settings on the Mini right now, as it doesn't really seem to need them.

But then again, the E2's are bigger than the ER6, which I feel would be a great choice for more detail without having to drop $200 on the ER4's... Plus, since the ER6's are more neutral, perhaps they would pair better with the Mini's EQ settings, should I decide to use them more.

Has anyone actually used either of these two phones with the mini? If so, can you offer your opinions on both?

thanks!

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard that the Minis EQ was an improvement over the regular iPod, so I'd kinda forget about that even being a possibility (though future firmware could play a part here). It's a useless feature on the iPods except in very rare situations. Too bad.

Haven't heard either of your choices, but will say although the iPod does seem a bit bright for me with V6s, lower Grados, etc. (yeah those phones can with many sources), it never does with the ER4S/P. If there is a sonic similarity with the ER6, you may not have to worry about that there. Will have to see from those with experience though.

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffie
Out of the ER6's, you'll need a head amp.

The E2's will give you everythign they've got
right out of the box...

The iPod can drive the ER6, no problems. My vote is with the ER6 because of excellent isolation and sound quality.

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 11
my 5mw sony e720 minidisc player can drive the ER6 without any problems. I have used the er6 and e2. to me, the er6 is better than the e2. the shure has a fuller sound to it but i still prefer the er6 because of its clarity. also the er6 fits better for me and the cord is much more thinner and flexible than the e2 cord. you never feel like you are missing any detail with th er6 whereas the e2 i find myself trying to turn up the volume to hear more detail. the e2 is much more sensitive though than the er6 but i doubt volume would be a problem with the ipod mini.

Jun 1, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 11
what type of music do you listen to?
if you listen to vocals/classical/jazz/soft rock, you will probably like the er-6's
if you like rap/rock/trance, you'll probably like the e2's

both offer comparable isolation.

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

what type of music do you listen to?

I may be way off, but I am going to guess that he likes Marilyn Manson. Just a guess though.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
I may be way off, but I am going to guess that he likes Marilyn Manson. Just a guess though.
biggrin.gif

If so, I think the E2's would be the better choice
cool.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 11
I actually like quite a few different types of music (although Marilyn Manson is in the list). Some of the stuff includes: Prince, M. Manson, Rollins Band, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Cibo Matto, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Taking Back Sunday, Yngwie Malmsteen, Thursday, Eminem, Fiona Apple, Dream Theater, Jane's Addiction, Pumpkins, Saigon Kick, etc. So even though alot of the stuff I listen to is rock, there's a good deal of it that relies on good detail (Yngwie, Dream Theater, Prince--> for all the vocal harmonies and weird extras in the background).

I keep thinking the E2's would be cheaper, but that I would be struggling to get more detail out of my rig. I'm guessing that the increase in clarity in the ER6's would mean that I wouldn't need as much volume-- which would be a good thing for my ears
280smile.gif

Perhaps I should sell my HD280's to finance the ER6's?

Jun 2, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 11
yea, go thursday and taking back sunday! woot! i must say if detail is what your looking for, then u shuld go with the er-6. i find the e2c's actually quite detailed, but this is only compared to the ms-1 and mx500. the highs are a bit lacking, tho.

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Skitlets-
What are you using your E2's with? The reason I'm still considering them is that perhaps the bright sound of the iPod mini would mate well with the mellow high end of the E2's-- I was hoping it would provide good synergy. Plus the E2's can be had for arounf $65-70, versus the $100-110 of the ER6's... With the extra money saved I could get an iVod mini case (black leather... mmm.....)

So you would consider the E2's detailed as compared to the MS-1? I would have thought the MS-1 would have more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back