E2c initial impressions + Question
Apr 3, 2004 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my E2's today, so I thought I would give a bit of a mini-review w/ initial impressions, then I have a quick question.

Opening the package:
--Wow! Shure really goes for the presentation. The ear-phones look good. The package catches your eye nice and quick, and the accessories they give you are very generous. 3 sizes of 2 different types of sleeves. The case they give is quite nice too, but I doubt I will be using it much.

Which sleeves?:
--I tried the ones that came on them first, which happened to be the medium-sized plastic ones. They seemed to fall out a bit quickly on me. Remember, this is all subjective depending on how your ears are. I find that the large-sized foam sleeves seem to give me the greatest deal of comfort and seal, closely followed by the small plastic ones (odd huh?).

The sound:
--Well, this is what matters right? Since these are portable phones, I will be using a 2G iPod un-amped as my source. I can honestly say, IMHO, that these are the exact opposite of what I expected from reading @ Head-fi.com. I was expecting a not-so-clear, bassy sound, which was OK for me. What I got is a clear, but less bassy sound. The mid-range, IMO, really shines, but the bass is lacking. The bass-booster, which some people seem to use w/ the E3 sound muddy, and to put it bluntly, poo-poo-ey.

Initial verdict:
--"Gigidy-gigidy-gigidy" -- Quagmire (Family Guy). I love dees! The sound is, not what I expected, but great for the price, none-the-less. The accessories are very generous. In short, a great value. I give them, after about 30 min. of playtime, an 8/10.

My question:
--What kind of a break-in do these have? How long does it usually take, and how dramatic are the changes?

Thanks
--Justin

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 14
KyPeN
HI: Congrats on the E2s. I use the small plastic tips and get great bass. When I put them in I give them a slight twist fore a good seal. From what I have read burn in is not necessary. I did burn in my E2 but they sounded great at first and still do after lots of use. To take the E2 to another lever I use the super mini amp
V 6.2D. After you get used to the E2 sound the bass might grow on you and seem to be great bass. Good luck.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 14
thanks for the small review. I'll be gettin' mine on monday, I should have gotten them today though (the slow norwegian mailsystem)

I'm a bit curious on how they will fit my ear. at first, was it weird to put something that far into your ear KyPeN? and was it easy to get a good seal?

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 14
The E2 is well worth the money. It provides the best balance of features and performance. The highs are not there, but the bass and mids are sweet for the price. These are built very well. They provide excellent isolation which is what I need primarily and you can pick up these for about $75.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

--What kind of a break-in do these have? How long does it usually take, and how dramatic are the changes?

I had my E2 for 8 months and never noticed burn-in or amps to change their sound. The most change you will notice (or not notice) is that you will acclimate to their sound and fit over a short time. They may simply sound better to you as you use them more for this reason. They are nice phones and should last you a long time.

Good luck!

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 14
iPod <- theres your problem right there, pathetic lame bass. Upgrade to iRiver, Rio or Creative.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lervold
thanks for the small review. I'll be gettin' mine on monday, I should have gotten them today though (the slow norwegian mailsystem)

I'm a bit curious on how they will fit my ear. at first, was it weird to put something that far into your ear KyPeN? and was it easy to get a good seal?

The feel when having a good seal is like having water in your ear. What you say or when you tap on your head or something resonates alot. But I mean this in a good way. Hard to explain w/out you trying them. Enjoy!

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by White Knight
iPod <- theres your problem right there, pathetic lame bass. Upgrade to iRiver, Rio or Creative.

With my 2nd gen iPod, I found the Shure-iPod combo to be very nice. The iPod presents a neutral sound but the Shures liven it up. The Shure e5cs supposedly has better bass though.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

all i can say to you is...try the shure e5c with any ipod and lemme know if you still think the ipod has "pathetic lame bass."
wink.gif

when i listen to my e5c's i hear the best bass response i have ever heard hands down. speakers/headphones. it truly must be heard to be believed.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I've only ever seen three posts from you, and they've all said this.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 14
Ha ha
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back