e2c/e4 and amp?
Jul 9, 2005 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

japa

Head-Fier
Is there noticeable benefit from using an amp, say PAV2 with shures?
I know amps are used generally because the amps in portables aren't that great and especially if the headphones are hard to drive right. But what about shures? Aren't they designed to be used with portables, so I'd assume there is less need for amping?
My source is Karma, which should have OK amp. So all you karma
and shure owners, is there any use for amp or is it just another piece of equipment making your portable setup less portable?

I currently have E2c and I'm thinking about upgrading to E4. I'm also thinking about getting an amp.

You know, hea-fi-upgradeatis has hit me too
etysmile.gif

-Japa

PS. you may have belt clip for the karma, but where do you carry your amp?

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 12
I do not believe there is a significant difference, but others will tell you the bass is better or there is more detail. I believe that they sound better without another component in their audio path. Through the line out may be a different story though.

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
I use ipod+pocketdock's lineout+pa2 v2 with my e4c and yes there is a significant difference.

Almost same thing here: iPod Mini + PocketDock + Total Airhead + E4c. Difference is noticeable, especially in bass response and overal clarity. Soundstage, that's normally meager on canal phones, also widens a bit but not very much. Similar, even more pronounced, effect when I use my home Creek amp. Still amp effect on E4c is much less than on most full-szie cans, even effcient ones like my SR-225, not speaking of K-501.

Personally I don't bother with portable amp while running, at the gym or commuting. I take it with me only when I'm travelling and have long stretches of critical listening time to really appreciate it. Naturally at home I don't bother with canal phones at all - difference in sound (fullness, soundstage, etc.) compared to cans like K-501 or SR-225 is too great even for such excelent and ballanced canals as E4c.

Jul 9, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 12
IMHO significant difference on my e2c (and my KSC75 for that matter).... well worth the $65 for the amp.

But its all relative, depending on how much current capacity your portable player has. For certain, my creative players benefeit from an additional amp, dynamics (note I didnt say volume) increases noticeably.

it depends on your ears too, if you cant detect differences in dynamics then it will not be a value-add. Some folks are more sensitive to dynamic changes than others.

Garrett

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I just listened to my iPod with a Sik line out and a Pimeta with my E4Cs and while the bass was better with the amp on some songs, I would not call it significant. If I am enjoying my music and not critically listening for the extra bass, I would not know if I was using the line out or not.

Since the E4Cs are meant to be portable I think it defeats the purpose to carry an amp. I have not heard the Karma, but it supposedly sounds great on its own. The significant difference is from the E2Cs to the E4Cs. You will love them.

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 12
IMHO, that bit more of bass, soundstage and things like that really isn't justifiable...We're paying 90 bucks for something that gives at most a 15~20% increase in listening experience? Also, I doubt you would be listening to your music that attentively when you're out in the streets bustling with cars and human traffic. Well, of course I may be wrong but thats my opinion...Plus, the iPod and the pocketdock and the PA2VS isn't that portable...of course maybe your idea of portable is different from mine....Imagine lugging the amp with an iPod that's got a white thing sticking out from its end...There's no way everything fits into an average sized pocket. Even if there is, where would you put your wallet, keys and cellphone? Of course, if you're carrying a backpack, then its a different story.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 12
This has been a bad weekend for me. Temperature has been really high and sunny weather. Perhaps that has totally mixed up my head...

I've kind of decided to surrender to upgare-itis. E4 will be quite s(h)ure purchase. I also spotted used Sennheiser HD600 cans for 200euros and I'll go to test listen them tomorrow and perhaps... (200eur, cheap?)

But back to the topic. Thanks for the replies, I suppose the amp is not needed for shures with Karma. Situation surely will be different with the Senns, but then again, that's not meant to be the portable setup.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 12
When I amped my e2 I felt there was significant difference. The bass was much cleaner and more impactful. I highly recommend it.

Jul 11, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Wow...200 euros for a pair of used senn 600s ?? Thats not very cheap at at..Try Amazon, they've got great deals for refurbished senns.

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #12 of 12
The little bit of difference on my E4C's (Pocket Amp V2) does not justify the huge bulge in my pocket (get your mind out of the gutter!).

Even better; try the E4C's on a Pocket Amp V2, then on a Headamp GS-1. Does not seem to do anything,
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back