E2c compared to the Sound Magic PL series
Sep 7, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I have had a pair of Shure e2c's for a couple years now and have been quite satisfied with their sound, comfort, and isolation in casual use. However, as I am back in school, I have been wearing them for much longer periods of time and get some sore ears after a while.

What I was wondering is how the sound quality, comfort, and isolation compare to the Sound Magic series, as they have gotten a lot of fairly good pub in these forums and their prices are certainly appealing. The sound signature of the e2c are pretty good do my ears, although something that sounded a little more open and lively would be nice. I thought about the Kramer mod, but I don't want any more treble. I seem to be fairly sensitive to the higher frequency and couldn't imagine enjoying too much more treble. My fathers set of Sony MDR V6's actually hurt my ears.

I listen to all genres so something that represents well over a broad range of sound would be nice.

I would also consider any other recommended IEM's for under $50. I have a pair of Shure SRH840's coming to me (one of these months) that will handle home listening duty so anything I get now will be for a portable rig directly plugged into my Sansa Clip or perhaps through an amp once I save up enough. Isolation both ways is important as I often study in public places. And of course, I need to be able to use these for hours at a time.

As I wait for some suggestions, I might try some Comply tips to address the comfort.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 10
I think the PL50s would work pretty well for you - I never found the treble tiring, yet it extends higher than the shure SE310 and is more detailed. Bass is less boomy (some would consider that to be less bass). Other things you may want to look at are the Meelec Ai-M6 (perfect in nearly every way except the cables of death) and used ADDIEMs. They are all very balanced but after the boomy shures you may find the bass lacking. Very comfy, too, at least compared to the Shures.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't find the Shures to have too boomy bass, but it could have been partially my Sansa Clip being a little reserved, and the fact that I originally came from some $30 Sony earbuds that farted all over the place with their "bass." I also haven't heard any highly regarded headphones yet so I don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense.

Thanks or no thanks to this forum, I just purchased a used pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's to try out as my studying set. I am pretty excited. If these don't work out (not easy enough to carry around or comfy enough to wear for hours at a time), then I will definitely be taking another look at a pair of comfy IEM's.

Heck, the way my wallet itches everytime I log in to this forum, I might end up trying those Sound Magic or other recommended IEM's anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, |joker|, it was your portable headphone roundup that got me addicted to this website, so thanks a lot!

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't find the Shures to have too boomy bass, but it could have been partially my Sansa Clip being a little reserved, and the fact that I originally came from some $30 Sony earbuds that farted all over the place with their "bass." I also haven't heard any highly regarded headphones yet so I don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. I haven't tried the E2c but I have tried the Se115 and Se310 and owned the E4, and I found them all to have a house sound that wasn't to my liking. I think you may find yourself liking more accurate and subdued bass if you give it a shot - HD25's are a start as they aren't too bassy.

Quote:

Heck, the way my wallet itches everytime I log in to this forum, I might end up trying those Sound Magic or other recommended IEM's anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

It usually good to have a set of IEMs as they are more portable and isolating than even the most portable cans. TBH I've been very impressed with the $21 PL21s lately, but it may be the New Toy Syndrome.

Quote:

BTW, |joker|, it was your portable headphone roundup that got me addicted to this website, so thanks a lot!

Thanks, I try
biggrin.gif
. Hopefully I will be adding higher-end cans to the roundup when I get some free time as well as expanding the budget lineup.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks again guys. On a matter of finances, if I were to spend ~$20 to address the IEM issue, do you think adding Comply tips to my e2c's or getting something like the PL-21's would be a better bet (or any other good ones from the PL-10 through PL-30 range) for comfort while getting good sound from my Sansa Clip?

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Ack! My HD25-1's have ruined my E2C's! I don't know if I have forgotten how to get a seal, but after listening to my HD25's even with the velours, I feel like there is no bass at all anymore. They seem lifeless almost. I finally got in an E5 and it helps a smidge, but barely. I read the E5 bass boost gets a little better after a burn in so I am running some pink noise through it now and will check back periodically. I ordered some Comply's to see if I can get a better (and more comfortable) fit, but if that doesn't do it, I may have to sell for a few bucks and look for something else.

Can anyone who has owned the e2c's do a comparison on sound quality with the RE2's or the PL-21, PL-30, and anything else that can currently be had for $40 or less? I still think they produced fairly decent sound and don't want to take a step back.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Can anyone who has owned the e2c's do a comparison on sound quality with the RE2's or the PL-21, PL-30, and anything else that can currently be had for $40 or less? I still think they produced fairly decent sound and don't want to take a step back.

The RE2s have very low bass response, so if you find the E2C's lacking, they are definitely not for you. TBH I think the PL21 is your best bet if you're a fan of big bass - for $22 they do not disappoint. I posted some impressions of them in a separate thread a week or so ago.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks Joker. I will find and read your comments on the PL-21s. I have some Comply tips coming that cost nearly as much as the PL-21's. I am really hoping I can get some love back for my E2c's. They have served me faithfully for 2 years and I would hate to see them go because I have become a snob
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back