E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #1,370 of 1,482
Hi guys, i've been using 9038D model for 3 months and then one day it started to stutter everytime i touch and move the dac ( i was using with my laptop ). I bring it to the distributor for rma then they decided to replace the new one, but the problem is that i don't see the Calibrated text on it. Is there any difference between them in terms of sound quality and which one is better? Thank you so much !

20211020_083923.jpg

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,371 of 1,482
You surely can, it is intended for use as DAC, too. The A90 can be noise sensitive over single ended input, though.

This is such an old myth and I hate it. Pretty much every modern device has an 'amp' or line level stage at the end of it for compatibility with upstream devices. Unless you are jamming a 1/4TRS to RCA splitter into a traditional head-amp's quarter inch output I really don't see the problem.
Well said! Kudos to you. A little off-topic: I am a kind of "black sheep audiophile". These are the 3 types of sacrilege I do: ->1st sacrilege: Since many years I connect standalone DACs or dongle DACs straightly to power amplifiers (amps without gain or volume control, just pure powerful dual mono blocks) recently by 4.4mm Pentaconn to dual XLR, earlier, until recent years, by 3.5mm S-E to dual RCA only, due to the grounding issue. Never had any issues of hum, short-circuiting, you name it. -> 2nd sacrilege: I trust in Windows Mixer and I am happy user of Windows volume control, despite all these myths of "audible truncating". Works in WASAPI exclusive mode, too. I can't hear anything truncated, using 2x Audiolab 8300MB with (deliv' 2021-12) Falcon Acoustics IMF200. ->3rd and worst sacrilege: As a security measure not to blow away my speakers by accidentially setting volume to 100% I normally use in-line-attenuators, both XLR and RCA type. There are enough dongle DACs out there with close to 120 dB SNR right now. That's enough for me. Just need amps still, a Windows tablet and a dongle. That's it. Currently using a battery powered (backed up by power bank) Hidizs DH80s (Pentaconn -sure, grounded- to XLR). I couldn't feel any happier with my setup. That dongle happily powers my CANs, too when required through that unused S-E output. With the DH80s I was able to abolish the in-line-attenuators due to hardware(!mandatory!) low gain setting <0.9V possible of the DH80s.
Owners of the E1DA v2.1, would be happy hearing from you how it performs in a home setup, just set it into S-E-mode, plug that 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter in, take a quality 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter and report.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,376 of 1,482
HI PDV2 owners out there - has anyone else experienced problems with just-above faint levels of background hiss / pink noise? I get it at all volumes, regardless of source or HPToy volume control. I hear it as soon as I plug in a set of headphones; most of them chifi between 25-32ohm. Same for my over-ears sets, which are single ended 32 ohm.

For the limited time I've had with it (intermittent use over the past 2 weeks) I find that it's not a problem for pop/rock, and a jazz snare brush tends to wash it out with volumes at moderate and higher levels. Unfortunately it's so distracting at lower volumes and on choral and chamber music that I can hardly stand to use it for those genres, which is disappointing. The HPToy app is brilliant, and for a lot of jazz and symphonic pieces I've noticed a distinct improvement in imaging and soundstage over my FiiO BTR3k. I just wish I could get rid of that darn hiss. The BTR3k is dead silent as soon as the music stops, even when using it in LDAC USB mode (and on the same port from my laptop).

Fixed: (mostly ... edit x2)

ha!! I found some older threads here on Head-Fi and it turned out I have a noisy 5 port USB bus adapter. Unplugging that got rid of the hiss for most of my pairs except for two of the more sensitive ones, CCA NRA and GK10. I will look into a ground loop insulator of some sort for my USB port. It's especially noisy on the NRA for some reason, despite having an upgraded balanced cable. *shrug* Having said that, the FiiO doesn't have any problem filtering out interference from the other accessories, and the NRA is dead quiet on that amp.

Still open to hear about any more experiences / battles! cheers

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #1,378 of 1,482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back