E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,142 of 1,482
sure..
accounted for that in my previous msg..
Is pre-amp/dac out's only difference ( compared to line-out) adjustabily , or the added circuit degrades sound quality ?
With each additional component that you add, you also add a certain variability of degradation of the sound , or at least alteration of it. That is why if your amplifier has a volume of its own, you will use the fixed line out on your DAC. Otherwise you are sending the audio signal through two volume devices instead of one.

for the maximum SQ, do I keep volume lowest possible or turn the volume pot up all the way?

If you are using a variable out as your only option you want to set the volume in the earliest device (source) to the maximum level .
On occasions that maximum level is too high for the next component down (amp), you would want to adjust the level as high as you can go before any sign of clipping occurs

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,144 of 1,482
Is there anybody who's using the 9038s with a dap? Like Shanling Q1 or Hiby R2? How does it affect the battery life?
I tried the 9038D with the Shanling M0, and it is not capable of driving the 9038D, with the Hiby R5, the minimum volume is to high, and with the A&K SR-25 it doesn´t control the volume at all, it is always set to maximum.

It works very well with my Samsung S20, specially with Tidal, and with the UAPP app. It also works very well with my notebook using Audirvana

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,145 of 1,482
Sorry for posting here but the site wont let me make a question. Can someone please help me with my issue?

I just got a Fiio BTR5 and im trying to find a balanced cable to take advantage of the higher power. My headphones have a detachable 3.5mm cable and i want to know if this cable will work for me? It has one end 3.5mm and other end 2.5mm jack. I read its dangerous to use one that isnt balaced so i want to make sure before buying it that it will work without worry of damage.
Thank you very much for any help.

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...ed+cable&qid=1610578126&s=electronics&sr=1-18

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,147 of 1,482
Sorry for posting here but the site wont let me make a question. Can someone please help me with my issue?

I just got a Fiio BTR5 and im trying to find a balanced cable to take advantage of the higher power. My headphones have a detachable 3.5mm cable and i want to know if this cable will work for me? It has one end 3.5mm and other end 2.5mm jack. I read its dangerous to use one that isnt balaced so i want to make sure before buying it that it will work without worry of damage.
Thank you very much for any help.

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...ed+cable&qid=1610578126&s=electronics&sr=1-18
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but no, that cable won't work and will likely damage the Fiio unit. I'm guessing you have headphones that have one 3.5mm jack where the cable hooks in? If that's the case, without knowing what headphones, it's most likely they're not wired to be able to go balanced. You have to be able to use a balanced cable with the matching wiring in whatever you're connecting. Just changing the plug size does nothing but likely fry your equipment.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #1,148 of 1,482
I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but no, that cable won't work and will likely damage the Fiio unit. I'm guessing you have headphones that have one 3.5mm jack where the cable hooks in? If that's the case, without knowing what headphones, it's most likely they're not wired to be able to go balanced. You have to be able to use a balanced cable with the matching wiring in whatever you're connecting. Just changing the plug size does nothing but likely fry your equipment.
I see. My headphones are a crap budget pair. The are called OneOdio Dj pro and they have a cord that has a 3.5mm on one can and the other is 6.35 on the other can. You can sawp them around if needed. I was reading on a page explaining balanced and thought it said only the cable is balanced and not the actual headphones so i thought i could use it to get more power from the port. I don't know much at all about the balanced so i know you know better than me.

My whole issue is that I got my Fiio BTR5 today and i can max the vol on my phone and the Fiio and its not super loud or punchy? My Topping NX1s with the same headphones would shake my head at about 70 percent vol. Im confused as why my Fiio isnt as loud as my cheaper Topping amp?

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,149 of 1,482
I see. My headphones are a crap budget pair. The are called OneOdio Dj pro and they have a cord that has a 3.5mm on one can and the other is 6.35 on the other can. You can sawp them around if needed. I was reading on a page explaining balanced and thought it said only the cable is balanced and not the actual headphones so i thought i could use it to get more power from the port. I don't know much at all about the balanced so i know you know better than me.

My whole issue is that I got my Fiio BTR5 today and i can max the vol on my phone and the Fiio and its not super loud or punchy? My Topping NX1s with the same headphones would shake my head at about 70 percent vol. Im confused as why my Fiio isnt as loud as my cheaper Topping amp?
You probably want to move this line of discussion to the BTR5 thread. Having said that, the rated output power of the NX1 is more than 2x that of the BTR5 in the single ended output.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,150 of 1,482
You probably want to move this line of discussion to the BTR5 thread. Having said that, the rated output power of the NX1 is more than 2x that of the BTR5 in the single ended output.
Oh well no wonder. I could have sworn i read it was less. Sorry i didn't mean to jack the thread it just wouldn't let me make a new post since im a new user.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,151 of 1,482
I tried the 9038D with the Shanling M0, and it is not capable of driving the 9038D, with the Hiby R5, the minimum volume is to high, and with the A&K SR-25 it doesn´t control the volume at all, it is always set to maximum.

It works very well with my Samsung S20, specially with Tidal, and with the UAPP app. It also works very well with my notebook using Audirvana
Thanks for the input. I wonder if it will be the same with 9038s, I heard it requires less power. They said as long as the dongle is getting atleast 100mA current through the USB, it should work.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,152 of 1,482
E1DA gifted a usb c cable to my order of the 9038sg3 and it came with that thing too!, what is it?

20210117-213546.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back