E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 8, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #301 of 1,481
So for whatever reason, when I have SoundflowerBed @16/44 I'd get a slight 1/2 second ripping/record needle jump type sound randomly...now switching to 24/44 for output seems to have stopped it on MacOS playing bandcamp stuff through web browsers which is 16/44...weird stuff...anyway problem solved...and I hope that setting is remembered on reboot...was annoying.
Not heard anyone else getting that issue though, just adding this to user impressions for anyone who comes across this...happened with both mode 1 and 2 on 9038s

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-6-03-17-PM.jpg

EDIT : I think it is web pages loading and scrolling causing the audio on websites to glitch. Does not seem to happen with no surfing on other tabs. Must be way MacOS is prioritising cache/multi-tasking.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #303 of 1,481
me too!
-At home on a computer its beats the 9038s because of the HP Toy EQ App.. its like RTX ON on a grafix card.
-Mobile the 9038s is perfect..

Get both and have the best for the situation.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #304 of 1,481
So for whatever reason, when I have SoundflowerBed @16/44 I'd get a slight 1/2 second ripping/record needle jump type sound randomly...now switching to 24/44 for output seems to have stopped it on MacOS playing bandcamp stuff through web browsers which is 16/44...weird stuff...anyway problem solved...and I hope that setting is remembered on reboot...was annoying.
Not heard anyone else getting that issue though, just adding this to user impressions for anyone who comes across this...happened with both mode 1 and 2 on 9038s

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-6-03-17-PM.jpg
Yeah setting is saved

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #305 of 1,481
Sorry for confusing. I mean between power DAC V2 and The more portable 9038s. Details, soundstage, layering beside preferences of warmer power DAC and more analytical 9038s.

Do they have plan to comeout with balance 4.4?

Im looking forward to the D version which is 3.5mm jack unbalanced since I can use it more with my collections actually

I have both PDV2 and 9038s gen 1 - I don't think it's worth comparing them really. The PDV2 is all about the app settings, if you generally EQ your sound, that's the one to get. If you prefer to not EQ, then the 9038 might suit you better as it's smaller and almost as powerful. I find myself mostly using the PDV2 because of the app. I love using the 9038S to test and compare headphones - it's the most transparent DAC I've ever had (though I have no real experience with $1K+ totl equipment). If you want to hear music how the artist/engineer intended, and hear a headphone how the headphone maker intended, 9038S is great.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #306 of 1,481
The 9038s measures better, but the designer himself says he prefers listening to the V2, fwiw.

Yeah I know, he also prefer a warmer and more colored sound so that makes perfect sense to me.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #307 of 1,481
9038S excellent with darker planars and darker gear in general...makes Sony N1 closer sounding to Sony N3 for a start.
It gives a "high quality speaker-like presentation" with darker gear. None of that old school brittleness/thinness of 9018 series stuff present.

From memory... similar to Chord Mojo's presentation, though there will be subtle differences side-by-side AB'ing them...the price being the most obvious one. Can almost buy the new single-end 9038 coming and a Project Sunrise 3 tube amp new for same price as Mojo for some interesting SQ dialing with tube rolling out in front of 9038...technically double-amping - but the things that usually mess up with double-amping are not in 9038...
1) magnifying distortion from first device
2) excessive tonal colouring from first device
3) super-low output impedence helps.

Experimenting with double amping with another lower voltage ES9038 device with SE-out, (dac/amp+ SE amp) you can control what I would call bite/attack on the first dac/amp and body/fullness on 2nd amp if you are running below full volume on first dac/amp..is only way I can describe that to get some synergy with the cans/IEMs to avoid sluggish or over-aggressive attack....volume spot on first device affects that "edginess" noticeably...
Not a purist audiophile chain by H-fi standards, by not using line-out behind an amp, but its interesting...(not sure how the higher voltage -4-volt ?- on coming 9038 SE will interact with gear up chain though vs lower voltage device I currently have.)

Just thought I'd add those observations, as I guess that is what some will use E1DA9038 single-end for when it comes out... on its own for desktop/phone use + powering another amp to spin the flavour.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #309 of 1,481
I can not build a Bluetooth-connection between the PowerDAC and the Note 9.
I changed the pairing code to 0000.
Nevertheless, he does not set up a Bluetooth connection...

But with the Neutron Player, you can optimally control the volume of the PowerDAC.

The Combo of P1 and PDV sounds awesome!

20191111_185548.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #311 of 1,481
How do you identify if a 9038s is a Gen1 or Gen2?
Thanks
It won't have mode 4 for IEMs in Gen1.
3/4 modes are indicated by an LED.....Gen 2 has "softstart" and can power directly from phones.

They are advanced forward to next sound mode 1/2/3/(4) by interrupting it (pulling it out of the USB) when it starts up from USB power.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #312 of 1,481
I can not build a Bluetooth-connection between the PowerDAC and the Note 9.
I changed the pairing code to 0000.
Nevertheless, he does not set up a Bluetooth connection...

But with the Neutron Player, you can optimally control the volume of the PowerDAC.

The Combo of P1 and PDV sounds awesome!

Hi BowWazoo !

Its simple with the bluetooth connection.

here is what Tyson wrote and TL/TR .. the HP Toy app is making the bluetooth connection :wink:)

Q: I have trouble connecting PDV2 Bluetooth to HPToy app on my phone. Help!
A: 1. DO NOT connect from phone's Bluetooth settings.
2. Connect PDV2 to source and ensure normal playback operation (non Bluetooth, USB wired connection).
3. Ensure PDV2 is as close as possible to phone (less than 1ft).
4. Open HPToy app and wait. Bluetooth mac address of PDV2 will appear on the top of the app usually within 5 seconds (example 77:f3:4k:22). Click its Bluetooth address to connect phone to PDV2.
5. If it doesn't appear after maybe 20 seconds, kill the HPToy app from task tray and restart the app. This should normally solve the BT undetected issue.
6. Ensure close proximity between phone and PDV2 when you are adjusting settings/pEQ. This will minimize chances of losing connection. Close proximity is not needed after saving your adjustment as a preset. Last saved preset will be present in PDV2 and BT connection is not required for playback using the latest saved preset.
7. Smart home IOT appliances may disrupt BT connection between PDV2 and smart phone. Please minimize 2.4G noise to ensure stable BT connection.

and in your case:
11.11 drink some lecker Kölsch :wink:

greetings from cologne nearby and youll be blown away with the "filter" EQ in the app and using and making presets.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #313 of 1,481
Thx.

"Bluetooth mac address of PDV2 will appear on the top of the app usually within 5 seconds "

Unfortunately the PDV2P address does not appear for me.
I killed the task ten times.

(Ja so ein guten Morgen Kölsch, wäre jetzt was feines. Am besten Hellers :wink:)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #314 of 1,481
Hmm thats strange.. should be visible diretcly or after 1-2 app kills.
Bluetooth generally active again on your phone. otherwise check the discord and ask E1DA directly.
and you have your cellphone next to the pdv2 i guess i hold it right over that thing when i use HPtoy. i have so much smart lamps and crap at home that make electronic warfare on 2,4frequency.

(Prost)

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #315 of 1,481
I am surprised how relatively quiet this thread is. In my view, both the PDV2 and the 9038s are genuine "game changers" for portable audio. I have not touched any of my daps since I got both the 9038 and PDV2. Why listen to a dap when I can listen to one of these instead? The 9038s is the ultimate portable solution. I connect it to an old sony phone I use for transport and get excellent sound quality with an excellent UI. I am not aware of any dap that has the speed or has a polished UI of a smartphone. The PDV2 is less portable, but the HPtoy app is pure genius. The only draw back to both is that they can get a bit hot, more so the PDV2 than the 9038s.

I am listening again to headphones I have not listened to for a year +. The app has the ability to optimise any headphone to the best of its abilities. Granted it does take a bit of patience if your headphones aren't ones in the preset list, but the results are nothing less than stunning. I am currently listening to my Sony Z7's as I type and they sound like I have never heard them before. Perfect clarity, no muddiness or bass emphasis to my ears. I find the main problem with these devices is "where do you go from here?". Buying a dap becomes redundant, as what is the point? Similarly, the urge to buy new headphones and iems is reduced because the ones I already have sound so good out of both, but especially out of the PDV2 after adjusting the sound. I feel like I suddenly have loads of excellent iems and headphones I want to listen to. The best bit is the price. Buying both the 9038 and PDV2 is less than $150!!!!! It seems people want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for sound they could get for $150 plus the cost of the transport device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back