E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #946 of 1,482
Well i have wrote this one page ago.. sometimes its easy to check whats already written to find the answer :wink:

Krassi said:
Staticv3 from the discord compared it pretty good and that was with the 9038s G2

PDv2: smooth, forgiving, slightly warm/vintage but you can change the sound to whatever you want
9038S(g2): clean, modern, razor-sharp, incredibly detailed even with EQ,

the PDv2 will never sound as detailed as the 9038S but the PDv2 can make only ok sounding headphones sound great. The 9038S cannot.

The 9038S is also not as forgiving for poorly recorded/mastered tracks.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #947 of 1,482
IMG20201015102420.jpg

New toy arrived!

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #949 of 1,482
My prefence is towards a warmer signature, hence why I chose the PDv2 over the 9038.
After 4 hours of listening my mind is boggled.
How can something at this price sound so good?

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #951 of 1,482
Hey guys, my first post in the E1DA thread. I am an IEM user, was interested in PDV2 to use with my laptop but since they are for headphones I am thinking to get the 9038s V3. Can somebody tell me if they can handle iem's? Are these suitable for low impedance iems like Fearless S8F?

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #952 of 1,482
Hey guys, my first post in the E1DA thread. I am an IEM user, was interested in PDV2 to use with my laptop but since they are for headphones I am thinking to get the 9038s V3. Can somebody tell me if they can handle iem's? Are these suitable for low impedance iems like Fearless S8F?
I have s v3 and it does a fantastic job with t800s (9 ohms official, bass armatures @ 4 ohms). I run it from a phone in aeroplane mode though, not a laptop. V3 OI is 0.1 ohms fwiw.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #953 of 1,482
I have s v3 and it does a fantastic job with t800s (9 ohms official, bass armatures @ 4 ohms). I run it from a phone in aeroplane mode though, not a laptop. V3 OI is 0.1 ohms fwiw.
That's good to know. I heard T800 is very picky with its source. Do you have any hissing issues? I am planning to use them with my laptop and R3pro DAP
Also are these just plug and play or do you have yo install any particular software for it to work?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #955 of 1,482
That's good to know. I heard T800 is very picky with its source. Do you have any hissing issues? I am planning to use them with my laptop and R3pro DAP
Also are these just plug and play or do you have yo install any particular software for it to work?
I've never noticed any hissing on t800s, just checked again and all I can hear is the amp clicking off when I pause a track (very softly, if I switch to dk2001 it's even quieter). If there's any other noise it's above my hearing threshold...I've had t800 hiss with other sources (dx120) as well, 9038 is definitely clean enough.
And it's all plug and play afaik, there is meant to be a tweak app coming on Android tho.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #956 of 1,482
I've never noticed any hissing on t800s, just checked again and all I can hear is the amp clicking off when I pause a track (very softly, if I switch to dk2001 it's even quieter). If there's any other noise it's above my hearing threshold...I've had t800 hiss with other sources (dx120) as well, 9038 is definitely clean enough.
And it's all plug and play afaik, there is meant to be a tweak app coming on Android tho.
Thanks for that, will be ordering mine soon!

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #957 of 1,482
The 9038s g3 is a nice little device. Volume control is quite wonky, though - no volume controls on the device, relying solely on source volume control. Not a problem except the default config for the g3 is high power, so if using it with IEMs even low volume on the source is VERY loud. The hack is to load a new fw and go through the voodoo dance with the 9038s connected to a pc to adjust the max voltage... An app that would allow a cleaner way to do this would be most appreciated, but I thought I heard there were problems and may not actually happen... but my info might be out of date.

A nice device, but quirky. Other options to consider are the Lotoo S1 (more expensive) or the upcoming Hidizs S9. Both of these have volume control buttons on the device, and they both support balanced and SE (9038 will support only one, which one depending on the model you get).

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #959 of 1,482
The 9038D has been on Aliexpress for some time now. Any owners who can share their opinion?
I'd be very grateful :)
I've been following these for a while but was never interested in balanced so I kind of skipped them until now. Just got the 9038D delivered a little while ago from hifigo. Currently listening from my pixel 4a on 64 audio nios.

First impressions are quite. No hiss as far as I can tell (though I don't normally pick up hiss on the nio). Sounds is very clean and seems to compliment the nio well, which is already a very warm iem.

Volume may be an issue with these though. I'm just a few "clicks" above the bottom on volume on the phone and they are already plenty loud, and notifications come through even louder (since notification level is higher by default and gets fed in). Will need to try something like usb audio player pro for a true but perfect output of just the music though as I'm just listening to spotify right now.

But, as with the warning on the e1da page, there's a huge amount of interference when on mobile data. Probably the most I have heard. Significantly more than the lotoo paw s1. Don't hear any on wifi though.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #960 of 1,482
I've been following these for a while but was never interested in balanced so I kind of skipped them until now. Just got the 9038D delivered a little while ago from hifigo. Currently listening from my pixel 4a on 64 audio nios.

First impressions are quite. No hiss as far as I can tell (though I don't normally pick up hiss on the nio). Sounds is very clean and seems to compliment the nio well, which is already a very warm iem.

Volume may be an issue with these though. I'm just a few "clicks" above the bottom on volume on the phone and they are already plenty loud, and notifications come through even louder (since notification level is higher by default and gets fed in). Will need to try something like usb audio player pro for a true but perfect output of just the music though as I'm just listening to spotify right now.

But, as with the warning on the e1da page, there's a huge amount of interference when on mobile data. Probably the most I have heard. Significantly more than the lotoo paw s1. Don't hear any on wifi though.
I can’t remember exactly where on the E1DA site it is, but there are instructions as to how to adjust the volume range... they are, well, as I note above, a little like vodoo, but they work (at least on the 9038s g3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back