E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 29, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #1,831 of 1,955
I know, right?
Man I've tried a dozen freakin pads on these over the better part of the last six years - and I just have to come back to my stock ones for the sound eventually. I was b!tching just a month or so ago, I had ditched stock and put on Dekoni Elite Angled Velours (got those with an He-4XXs) and when I put back stock again, after months, man I started hating the other pads.
Besides those, I have tried Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin (radio sound, bad, lost bass), Brainwavz Regular Sheepskin (radio sound, bad, lost bass), Brainwavz Hybrid Velours (lost bass, highs increased), Fenestrated (AE Hifiman) Angled pads (lost bass impact - those now are great with my M1060cs), Sheepskin Angled (AE pads) (still losing bass there), Brainwavz XL Sheepskin (what a fail, that one), Hifiman Stock Pleather (lost bass, treble high), Beyerdynamic Velour Pads (nice pads, but smaller, and lost bass impact), Cheaper AE Pleather pads (too mushy, closer sound, but still lost bass impact somehow).

For the life of me, I can't find an alternative to stock pads. I have finally ordered these now: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004161760873.html

If these can do 90% of what stock can, cuz maybe they'd be comfortable as it's going to be sheepskin. Anyhow, fingers crossed - will come back on these.
Something tells me, the smaller, uncomfortable holes may have to do with the most optimal sound delivery. Something also tells me that the actual attenuation rings GLUED INTO the stock pads may also have something to do with the sound. That's two attenuation rings on each side in stock form - I wonder if there's an actual play there. Also, the stock pads are just not sloppy and tight and firm - maybe that also plays a role with just the best bass impact delivery of all the pads I (or most other folks) have tried.

Let's see - will figure out things a lot better once I get my hands on these. Will surely post here with my findings - this crap is important. Bout time we put this dilemma aside for good.
The holes definitely make a difference. I've tried the other Fostex earpads, which are basically the Teak pads but with larger ear holes. The smaller ear hole on the Teaks helps in reducing the treble and shifting the balance to something warmer and more "liquid" sounding. Also seems to contribute to the intimacy of the sound. The TH-610 pads lose that warmth and sounds more dry, while the TH-900 pads sound noticeably more open and spacious, but start getting too aggressive in the highs.

The Accessory House sheepskin pads are very close to the dimensions of the stock Teak pads and also have attenuation rings, but they sounded a bit brighter than stock. So that makes me think the attenuation ring and perhaps the foam density they use also affect the sound.

Question though, you said there are two attenuation rings on each of the stock pads? That surprises me because I took apart the TH-900 pads and I only found one attenuation ring sewn in for each pad, so I assumed it'd be the same for the stock Teak pads.

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #1,832 of 1,955
The holes definitely make a difference. I've tried the other Fostex earpads, which are basically the Teak pads but with larger ear holes. The smaller ear hole on the Teaks helps in reducing the treble and shifting the balance to something warmer and more "liquid" sounding. Also seems to contribute to the intimacy of the sound. The TH-610 pads lose that warmth and sounds more dry, while the TH-900 pads sound noticeably more open and spacious, but start getting too aggressive in the highs.

The Accessory House sheepskin pads are very close to the dimensions of the stock Teak pads and also have attenuation rings, but they sounded a bit brighter than stock. So that makes me think the attenuation ring and perhaps the foam density they use also affect the sound.

Question though, you said there are two attenuation rings on each of the stock pads? That surprises me because I took apart the TH-900 pads and I only found one attenuation ring sewn in for each pad, so I assumed it'd be the same for the stock Teak pads.
Oh sorry - that was a wrong observation (corrected in my post now). You're right - just the one sewn into the pads. I've been printing and using attenuation rings, my mind got that mixed up there for a moment.

Yes the ring and foam density must also be playing a role here.

What are these pads you talk about? Links? Would want to see.

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,833 of 1,955
Oh sorry - that was a wrong observation (corrected in my post now). You're right - just the one sewn into the pads. I've been printing and using attenuation rings, my mind got that mixed up there for a moment.

Yes the ring and foam density must also be playing a role here.

What are these pads you talk about? Links? Would want to see.
The Fostex ones are the stock pads for the TH-610 and the TH-900 (EX-EP-61 and EX-EP-91, respectively). They're quite expensive, though I found them a little cheaper from a Canadian retailer (though it took quite a while for me to receive them as they had to wait for supply to come in). The Accessory House ones I tried are these.

Aug 30, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #1,834 of 1,955
The Fostex ones are the stock pads for the TH-610 and the TH-900 (EX-EP-61 and EX-EP-91, respectively). They're quite expensive, though I found them a little cheaper from a Canadian retailer (though it took quite a while for me to receive them as they had to wait for supply to come in). The Accessory House ones I tried are these.
I see - well the pads I ordered from AliExpress are (at least in the photos) exactly the same as the Accessory House ones you linked. Let's see - I expect them to be exactly like in the picture, but I can see the folks on Amazon have received something different (thicker pads), which, I must agree with one seller, will mess up the sound.

Ah the Fostex's own are way off the price one should pay. Who's going to shell out almost a $100 for pads for cans that are $500. Stupid.

I'll wait for my order and update if they mess it up - then I'll claim false advertising, claim a refund, and be in the market again for something closer to stock. Otherwise, there's a chance I can submit a happy feedback. Fingers crossed.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #1,835 of 1,955
Ah the Fostex's own are way off the price one should pay. Who's going to shell out almost a $100 for pads for cans that are $500. Stupid.
Well, in my experience, buying a nice headphone and then putting cheap earpads on them can be like buying a sports car and using the cheapest tires you can find.

There's definitely the possibility that a random cheap pair of earpads will be perfect, but there's just as much possibility that an expensive pair of pads is perfect, too. And spending that kind of money on expensive earpads does feel pretty stupid, but sometimes it's the only way take a headphone that's an 8 or 9 and elevate it to a perfect 10.

After all, something like the Fostex earpads were designed by professional acousticians and audio engineers. The AliExpress pads were designed by accountants with tracing paper. Not saying it's impossible that they're good, I've got plenty of Brainwavz earpads that I enjoy on certain headphones. But it's at least less likely.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #1,836 of 1,955
Well, in my experience, buying a nice headphone and then putting cheap earpads on them can be like buying a sports car and using the cheapest tires you can find.

There's definitely the possibility that a random cheap pair of earpads will be perfect, but there's just as much possibility that an expensive pair of pads is perfect, too. And spending that kind of money on expensive earpads does feel pretty stupid, but sometimes it's the only way take a headphone that's an 8 or 9 and elevate it to a perfect 10.

After all, something like the Fostex earpads were designed by professional acousticians and audio engineers. The AliExpress pads were designed by accountants with tracing paper. Not saying it's impossible that they're good, I've got plenty of Brainwavz earpads that I enjoy on certain headphones. But it's at least less likely.
I understand. But I've received great quality $20 a pair sheepskin pads (w/shipping) from AE (regular sheepskin and fenestrated) for my Hifiman XS with a great fit. One was even with mounting rings (the mounting slots on Hifiman Arya/Anana/X/XS are just too proprietary and no easy feat to match the spec, yet they did). One with mounting rings and fenestrated sheepskin is $17 - with shipping (and my absolute fav of the three pairs of pads I have for my Hifiman)!

I'm only saying, if they can do pads for $15 or $20, the Dekoni ones and a couple of others look 2-3 times overpriced for not a lot of differences. Yes Dekoni are nice (I do have sheepkin and velours for Focals and Hifiman), but with AE you get like 90-95% the same pad for 70% less money.

I'm just glad AliExpress exists, otherwise we'd be stuck with nothing besides $50 to $150 earpads. I've had a variety of pads from AE now, with very satisfactory results - unless there's a unique shape and size which only Dekoni has...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,838 of 1,955
Ok after spending some quality time on these. I've come to the conclusion I am not a bass head, no where near. I like bass, but not like this and not all the time, I do like everything else about the E-mu Teak tough. So I went ahead and got the perforated version of the pads I was using:

1662075181927667531220581943361.jpg

So far, it's spot on. The bass was taken down a notch, but it stills delivers when called upon. I gained a bit more clarity and the hedphones handles congested songs so much better, I still have the same mids and overall tonality. The bass seems to be more...clear, but it no longer pounds my head nonstop.

The effect of these perforated pads was miles better than my experience with the Dekoni Fenestrated pads, don't know why...at any rate I'll use the Teaks for another week and see it goes.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,839 of 1,955
@jpierre @plmon
Hi buddies.

So I got my pads in under 10 days from AE, these for $22 incl shipping. Inner holes: 37mm wide, 62mm tall.
Thickness:: thicker side: approx. 25mm, thinner side: approx. 17mm.

So far they look fantastic - they also have the sewn-in attenuation rings like the stock pads!
The fit and finish is stellar - with their fit, they beating the stock EMU fit (EMU and Fostex best take notice, how flushed down, low profile the fit can be and how better it looks).
Anyhow, I will now try them with the originals and compare. I'll update my findings soon. For now, take a look at them for your perusal:

UPDATE 1: Okay, so the stock pads are stock. These are almost the same in sound. Sometimes I can't tell, sometimes I can. Stock still have a slight edge in bass impact and speed.
This is as closes to stock sound that I've come to - with improved comfort, yes. Leather is leather.
The fit is almost the same (so still smaller holes - for those looking for larger openings, as is the usual feat, may be disappointed). But remember - you don't lose anything in sound with these pads in comparison to any other more comfortable, better fit options but not as close to stock sound.

So - I, APPROVE!

UPDATE 2: Okay so I have some marginal driver channel imbalance with my cans which is why I originally thought These are different from stock. These pads sound just as stock ones, any sonic differences are negligible at this point!

(you're looking at the ones with the worn veloury-edge ones - those are stock flaked pads, the clean ones are the new sheepskins). Also, ignore the cans' looks - they're modded:

Sq8CPuR.jpg

Cwzb5Me.jpg

idbOQtL.jpg

ZYVLsFC.jpg

XjROzjn.jpg

9NBucFh.jpg

8dMYZV2.jpg

Ea4pnYa.jpg

gceRTuz.jpg

cdDxgMY.jpg

4U7D3kd.jpg

tx2jCmr.jpg

ywhDrT8.jpg

khsSCCg.jpg

@Darksoul Yes I have these pads too, and non-perforated ones also. I'm using these on my M1060cs with great results (and the non-perf for my He4XX) but I found them a bit bass-lacking for my EMUs:
4HD075g.jpg

@dstarr3 this is what I was talking about. Look at the photos above - these Chinese guys are ahead of their game now. The EMU pads fit better than stock.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,843 of 1,955
What would be the Open-Back of EMU Teak?
Emu teak is leaking like crazy just use the cups to get epic bass boost. No true open back can achieve that just get emu teak if you want emu teak

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #1,844 of 1,955
What would be the Open-Back of EMU Teak?
Something like the Focal Elex. Its bass slams quite well for an open-back and the sound is more on the intimate side. It's not as warm or smooth-sounding as the Teak, but can't really think of anything else that has that addictive slam among open-backs.

Oct 17, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #1,845 of 1,955
Emu teak is leaking like crazy just use the cups to get epic bass boost. No true open back can achieve that just get emu teak if you want emu teak
From my experience, the Ibasso SR2 is about as close as you're going to get. Has the bass and similar warmth. Technically not an open back though, more semi open. Teaks can be considered a mild semi open. The SR2 definitely sounds more open, but not like a Hifiman, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back