E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #1,548 of 1,955
How do you guys store your Emu’s? I just got my pair and only now noticed the huge cans are hanging off a single tiny screw. If i use a headphone hangar (that carries all the weight on the band) will it subject the screw to too much gravitational pressure (over time)?

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,549 of 1,955
IMO, issue with screw is overrated - you just need to keep an eye if it becomes loose and screw it back with some loctite, i don't think it will break under normal circumstances when the screw isn't loose or headphones don't take abuse

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #1,550 of 1,955
How do you guys store your Emu’s? I just got my pair and only now noticed the huge cans are hanging off a single tiny screw. If i use a headphone hangar (that carries all the weight on the band) will it subject the screw to too much gravitational pressure (over time)?

For actual storage, I use a case. Otherwise, I leave it on a padded surface like a deskpad on a desk or padded liners on a shelf.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,551 of 1,955
I keep mine on a headphone hanger. I can't see the screw part breaking from gravitational pressure, the headphones are pretty light despite the cup size. My Stanton Dynaphase weighs like 2lbs or something and their cups are also held by a single screw to the headband. If those don't fall apart from gravity then I can't see how the E-MUs would.

The discussions I've seen about the screw being a weak point are it loosening or breaking clean off, which I can really only see happening from rotational force since the cups swivel on that screw (either that, or the screw parts were f*ed up in the first place).

Personally, I'm more concerned about scratches to the wood cups since they're pretty large and can bump against my shelf when I'm taking it off the hangar.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #1,554 of 1,955
I'm curious what pads people are using. I currently have the ZMF Oris and really enjoy them, but at time I think I would like a little less bass. I don't use the stock or Dekoni pad since the ear hole size is way to small. I'm curious if anyone switches out pads to change the flavor of the sound at times.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #1,556 of 1,955
I'm curious what pads people are using. I currently have the ZMF Oris and really enjoy them, but at time I think I would like a little less bass. I don't use the stock or Dekoni pad since the ear hole size is way to small. I'm curious if anyone switches out pads to change the flavor of the sound at times.
Try sheepskin TH900 pads by Dekoni, no attenuator

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #1,557 of 1,955

I am using sheepskin versions of the stock pads from China. They seem to be exactly the same shape wise and even have the tuning ring inside. Before that, I was using the Ori which both sounds and feels fantastic, but it's a bit bigger than the cups and can shift as a result.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,558 of 1,955
Just an update since I wasn't having the best experience with the Teaks a couple weeks ago:

It seems like a "sealing issue" was the crux of the problem. Ordered the ZMF Ori pads and finally got them in a couple days ago and now after listening for a while I can say they're much much better. Overall there's more of a surrounded by the instruments feeling and vocals (esp. female vocals) are improved. I did lose a little more of that deep rumble on the low end, but it seems like there's more "punch" to the bass if that makes sense so I think it's worth it overall.

They're definitely more fun now in addition to sounding better. I don't know if I even need to try different cups at the moment. Ordered a new cable (the stock one with 1/4 adapter keeps cutting out) but other than that it seems like it's a winner in my book.

Thanks to those that recommended the ZMF pads, you saved me a bunch of money and hassle :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,559 of 1,955
To the two questions posed above, I always recommend the Hart Audio cables and their interconnect system. I found the NewFantasia cables to be really brittle and frustrating and the Harts are about the same price, to my recollection.

For pads, ZMF were nice but I have ended up on the Lawton angle pads. I think it's the best of both worlds (bass and soundstage) but it does accentuate the treble more than the others I've tried. Also keep in mind that the Lawton Angle pads are 'made' for people who have the Lawton mods, like I do. That said, I liked them so much so much that I got a 2nd pair for my Denon 5200s. I think some people think they're single-purpose pads, but I think they're standout pads on their own, for any similar-sized can.

Now for my question - can anyone talk about Tube Amps that have great synergy with these drivers? They're low-impedence, so Bottlehead Cracks are not recommended. They sound quite nice on my DarkVoice, but I guess I'm looking for something one step up from that. I have a Shortest Way 51+ coming in on the next run, we'll see how that works out, but I think that will still sound hybrids, not full-on tube. And I tried them on my new toy, the Jolida Glass FX DSD. They do not really work well with the Jolida, though that is intended as more DAC than amp (curiously, though, the Sundaras sound amazing on its built-in amp). I want something super tubey that has synergy with the EMUs. Maybe a WA2 or a Musical Paradise, but I'm open for suggestions.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #1,560 of 1,955
White Bird Amplification Tzar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back