E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,516 of 1,955
I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't think about listening to my 6XX. They're different. There will be times I prefer to listen to a 6XX over the Teak. But so far so good. Really potent bass, and warm, well balanced character without too much treble.

Listening to both balanced. I have to see if one of my SE cables works for the Teak.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #1,517 of 1,955
I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't think about listening to my 6XX. They're different. There will be times I prefer to listen to a 6XX over the Teak. But so far so good. Really potent bass, and warm, well balanced character without too much treble.

Listening to both balanced. I have to see if one of my SE cables works for the Teak.

It really just comes down to the EMUs/TH-X00 being exciting and the 6XX being laid back IMO. For me, the biggest shortcoming of the 6XX is the bass extension and to a certain degree, bass slam. The EMUs/TH-X00 has that in spades. The 6XX is noticeably superior in vocals oriented songs though.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,518 of 1,955
Man, the 6XX HITS out if Jotunheim 2. I dunno. Lol. Not as much as the Teak, but it's... fine?
But the Teak def has bass in spaaaaaades. Tickle your ears bass.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,519 of 1,955
Man, the 6XX HITS out if Jotunheim 2. I dunno. Lol. Not as much as the Teak, but it's... fine?
But the Teak def has bass in spaaaaaades. Tickle your ears bass.

That's what I mean though... The bass on HD6XX can at best be described as "fine" or "acceptable", though for me it's definitely on the "a bit lacking" side and I had used mine with a Lyr 2. That said, I am admittedly very much a basshead.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #1,520 of 1,955
I'd like to try a pair of Ebonies next to the Teak to see how I like it.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,521 of 1,955
She has arrived. Let's see how much of the D7000 they channel.

Nice, glad they finally arrived! That's an interesting grain texture on those too, haven't really seen one like that before with the Teaks.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,522 of 1,955
Nice, glad they finally arrived! That's an interesting grain texture on those too, haven't really seen one like that before with the Teaks.
Yeah she's quite lovely. I like that they're not high super glossy as the D7000 which were fingerprint magnets.

So far I'm loving it and it indeed does channel the best parts of the D7000 (based off my memory), mainly the great timbre and fantastic ear tickling bass.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,523 of 1,955
Are there any other off the shelf/ready to buy options for wooden cups other than Lawton (too expensive for a $500 HP) or EMU (their communication is terrible)? Not 100% sold on these just yet and want to try some new cups and maybe some ZMF pads.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #1,525 of 1,955
I am also interested in other cups that lawton actually much too expensive. Are there other manufacturers?
Why not look into other headphones then. I honestly can't imagine a dynamic woody becoming much better than the EMU's already are. You could look into the TH900 MK2 sapphire or cherry birch if you fancy more bass impact and 1.5 Tesla drivers to deliver the goods. Otherwise the LCD-3 would be your next best bet...

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #1,526 of 1,955
Yeah I dunno why people are considering changing something they haven't even tested yet.

What's wrong with the Teak? If anything, I've heard it's the best sounding wood for these.

I owned a TH900. No way I'd pick that over the Teak. Yes the bass is tighter and it sounds incredibly spacious, but that treble is....egh. It hurts. Though with an EQ, I'd guess the TH900 would be pretty dope, though I don't like spending so much just to EQ shortcomings.

Also reviewed a TH600 and I wouldn't put them anywhere near the Teak either. Clean and bright, but ultimately not pleasant in tone in comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,527 of 1,955
Yeah I dunno why people are considering changing something they haven't even tested yet.

What's wrong with the Teak? If anything, I've heard it's the best sounding wood for these.

I owned a TH900. No way I'd pick that over the Teak. Yes the bass is tighter and it sounds incredibly spacious, but that treble is....egh. It hurts. Though with an EQ, I'd guess the TH900 would be pretty dope, though I don't like spending so much just to EQ shortcomings.

Also reviewed a TH600 and I wouldn't put them anywhere near the Teak either. Clean and bright, but ultimately not pleasant in tone in comparison.
The EMU Teak's are the golden boy for musicality for me, the timbre and detail are just spot on. If I want a bit more air I reach for the HE-500. I could use a more analytical can in between these two though, so will hunt down one of those OG HD800 mint condition cans. The Teak's though, will probably sit in the rotation as long as they keep working. They're a gift that keep on giving...:darthsmile:

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,529 of 1,955

Well....that's just it. I have tested it. Had my Teak's for a week now, and they're pretty underwhelming to be honest. They're not terrible, but they're nothing special. Instead of leaving them as is and settling for "just ok" and "well...I guess it's lighter than the LCD-X *shrug*" I'd rather do some cup/pad swapping to see if I can improve it for my tastes. I'd rather spend $200-300 trying to mod them than sell them at a loss and then spend $1000-1500 on something "totl".

I don't have the vocabulary (still learning all the terms and whatnot) to properly express my disappointment or rate/review their performance in any way that would make much sense...but overall other than the slight improvement to bass (over the Sundaras which are anemic with bass themselves, hence the "upgrades"), the vocals just sound hollow and lifeless especially female vocals...except for S' which are I guess "sibilant" is the word(?), the mids all sound jumbled and mushy and tend to blend together (don't know the correct terminology, sorry). I've spent the last 2 days reading various posts and following their EQ suggestions...and while they're better now than they were fresh out the box, it's still not great.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,530 of 1,955
Well....that's just it. I have tested it. Had my Teak's for a week now, and they're pretty underwhelming to be honest. They're not terrible, but they're nothing special. Instead of leaving them as is and settling for "just ok" and "well...I guess it's lighter than the LCD-X *shrug*" I'd rather do some cup/pad swapping to see if I can improve it for my tastes. I'd rather spend $200-300 trying to mod them than sell them at a loss and then spend $1000-1500 on something "totl".

I don't have the vocabulary (still learning all the terms and whatnot) to properly express my disappointment or rate/review their performance in any way that would make much sense...but overall other than the slight improvement to bass (over the Sundaras which are anemic with bass themselves, hence the "upgrades"), the vocals just sound hollow and lifeless especially female vocals...except for S' which are I guess "sibilant" is the word(?), the mids all sound jumbled and mushy and tend to blend together (don't know the correct terminology, sorry). I've spent the last 2 days reading various posts and following their EQ suggestions...and while they're better now than they were fresh out the box, it's still not great.

Honestly, that is so far off from my own impressions of those two headphones compared to each other, it sounds like your set is broken. Not trying to argue with what you hear, but you are going to have an awfully hard time finding the right pads and cups to correct the sound enough to fix it. Pads and cups can only do so much. It might be a better idea to cut your losses now by returning or selling your set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back