E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #1,201 of 1,955
Interesting. But the E-MU Teaks are considered pretty neutral though right? But the Sundara sounds interesting how do you think it compares to the HE-500 or the DT1990?

Nah, they're more L-shaped. If you are someone accustomed to strong bass presence, their balance and quality across the rest of the frequency spectrum may make it seem neutral, but they really aren't. I haven't heard the DT1990 or the HE-500, so I'm not one to ask about those. But, what makes the Sundara a good choice for mixing is it's extension on both ends, its resolution, and its neutral-bright skew. In other words, the Sundara is more capable of letting you hear everything, separate sounds from each other, and still have a relatively neutral presentation.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,202 of 1,955
I just received my E-MU teaks and my first impressions compared to the X00 PH's are that the midrange is smoother and detailed by a significant margin, timbre is a step up in naturalness. Bass is more controlled and tighter though this might be due to the worn pads on the PH. Highs seem to extend better and are smoother. Imaging seems to be a bit more precise with a bit wider soundstage. Surely a more balanced and detailed headphone the Teak is, though it might lack a bit of the attacking spice the PH has, and is thus better for relaxed listening but not the end to all means.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #1,203 of 1,955
Second impressions:
I used the new Teak pads on also the PH in order to rule out pad sound differences. (PH pads are worn)
The PH has a more fune reverb/ringing to its entire sound, creating a more speaker like presentation
The Teak's bass surprisingly kicks harder but has less body in the sub bass, but definitely more control. The Teak has more a tracking bass with a great body to it and the PH is not for tracking but all about feeling the bass. Same can be more or less applied to the midrange where the teak is more precise and textured and the PH more impactfull and holographic(due to a more wonky imaging style). Teak wins on Highs definition and smoothness.

So far, I am loving the Teaks. Ofcourse I like both a lot but am quite surprised by how different they project the sound. PH still have their place when playing electronic, trip hop and hip hop genres for example. Teak while more balanced and detailed is leaning more towards the analytical neutral but does it so smoothly with a great bass body and control, detailed smooth mids and singing highs that dont overpower that it probably has more range with a variety of genres. Its bigger and more precise soundstage give a feeling of airyness that the PH never can achieve. The layering and detail is above the PH and I can see why people recommend this headphone over the X00's.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,204 of 1,955
Guys I am enjoying my Teaks a lot but a problem arose. I noticed that the left driver would rattle quite badly below 50hz. I first checked for any hairs or obstructions by removing the pad. I noticed nothing. Then I did some 20-50hz sweeps through audiocheck and slightly knocked on the left cup. The knocking fixed the problem, but I noticed if I knocked on the cup again the problem would return. What could this be? A hair on the inside of the driver facing towards the cup touching the driver, a cable, dampening wool?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,205 of 1,955
Guys I am enjoying my Teaks a lot but a problem arose. I noticed that the left driver would rattle quite badly below 50hz. I first checked for any hairs or obstructions by removing the pad. I noticed nothing. Then I did some 20-50hz sweeps through audiocheck and slightly knocked on the left cup. The knocking fixed the problem, but I noticed if I knocked on the cup again the problem would return. What could this be? A hair on the inside of the driver facing towards the cup touching the driver, a cable, dampening wool?

The driver is mounted with 4 small screws. Try take off the pads and tighten the screw a bit. Be careful not to over tighten.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,206 of 1,955
At the moment I am the most active in this thread but I think this has to be said. I feel the difference between my Teak and the X00 PH is too big and doesn't match other anecdotal reports. I suspect that it might just be that I got a real strong magnet in my Teak and a much weaker one in the PH. The spread of the X00 was believed to be 0.8-1.0 Tesla and 1.0-1.2 Tesla for the Teaks if I am not mistaken. But I digress, if that is not the cause then here are my current conclusion between the two.

I clocked in over 10 hours of listening on my new Teaks and while they have burned in a bit more I have also compared them more to my X00 PH. I owned and have extensively used the Purpleheart for around 4 years now. I try to be as objective as possible and not fall into the new toy syndrome, but the Teak so far is clearly in another league to my ears. Now I can imagine the Ebony wood is probably a lot closer to the Teaks so this comparison might be more extreme than as compared to other X00 variants

The Purpleheart has a much more congested soundstage and imaging compared to the much more open sounding and precise Teak. The PH also has a substiantally more loose bass and is less detailed in the upper mids and upper highs. This masks all the details the Teaks does have. It's difficult to channel all the layers of the PH as its so upfront. It's like sitting in the front row of a concert, while fun, doesn't make much sense for tracking or analyzing detail. I did praise the fun factor of the PH in my review, I still think this holds true. However, this upfront sound might make the PH more intimate, especially for vocals, but it also loses out on basically everything else, which is a big surprise to me.

Next to the massive imaging and soundstage differences another big surprise was that the PH's were crowned as bass monsters with massive sub bass but in comparison to the Teak I think that no longer holds true. The teak slams harder, goes deeper and in a more controlled and speedier way. In fact the whole headphone sounds faster and more controlled. It's remarkable how much difference the wood makes, if the drivers are the same that is (which is assumed by many). Knowing the E-MU teak also can be swapped to Ebony and other wood types, I believe the X00 are rightfully discontinued.

The timbre on the Teak I expected to be better but also here the details the PH masks are much greater than I expected. The PH is good and fun, but the Teaks are fantastic and pricelessly tuned.

For entertainment purposes the E-MU Teak are nearing end game for me. They are a big surprise to me and they are a truely special headphone. I can only recommend this headphone so far, get it if you got the money and appreciate headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #1,207 of 1,955
There are four screws inside, under the pads. Really, popping off the pads and then getting them back on is the hardest part. Also, the screws go directly into the wood cups so any swaps should be infrequent and gentle so that you don't strip the holes.
I was wondering if you ever tried the Ebony and if you did how does it compare to the Teak?

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,208 of 1,955
I was wondering if you ever tried the Ebony and if you did how does it compare to the Teak?

Unfortunately, I haven't tried either the TH-X00 Ebony or ebony cups on the E-MU Teak. It looks intriguing though, and after hearing the TH-X00 Purpleheart and Mahogany, it seems like it would be the most balanced of that bunch (going by the frequency response). Hopefully Massdrop brings them back at some point.

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,209 of 1,955
It's done.

I made my ΞEMU custom open back ear-cups after-all.
I can put on woodies for more closed back, wood punch.
These... are for the open back experience.
Took some time to realize, design and finally having making em...

These cans have now been modified to as much of an extent as possible.
Removable cables. Multiple drivers (still a secret recipe there). Open back cups.
Even a strap-on headband.
I don't think I've left anything out lol.

PS: Ignore the pads - don't have the better ones with me right now. Stock is stock - sounds best.

CREDITS
: I have to credit @daanh for his help, the foundation (the 3D cup CAD design) without which, this would not have been possible.
You gave me the file TWICE (I lost it the first time lol). Thank you!
I hope you're satisfied with what it's become :)

And thank you all for watching!

IMG20200418163008.jpg

IMG20200418163042.jpg

IMG20200418163116.jpg

IMG20200418163152.jpg

IMG20200418163259.jpg

IMG20200418163441.jpg

IMG20200418163554.jpg

IMG20200418163652.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,210 of 1,955
Thanks...!

Well they don't sound as open even without cups - part of the design. But this way, the sharpness in the highs tames down a bit, they become more airy and the become more natural... the mids and highs flatten out a little, reducing the slight fatigue in that otherwise V shaped sound.

With the cups on I think it sounds about 70% open still.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,215 of 1,955
Nice review! This weekend I was reading a lot about these and other Fostex variants and I’m still so interested in these. So much so that I’m considering getting a cheap closed back for work so I can get a used pair of these or Fostex Ebonies strictly for home use. Still wouldn’t feel too comfortable bringing these into the office. But sound wise, I just hear nothing but good things. So it’s definitely on my radar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back