E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
May 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,111 of 1,955
I have these custom made from China. I can order them in bulk sets and to me they to me are the best as the chamber is bigger and full ear fits in. They are a little more rigid and less wide than say Dekoni's but the audio is more sharp and you also need the attenuation ring. Bass remains excellent.

Beside stock EMU pad, Lawton pads might be the closest. Oh did I also mention THX? :L3000:

upload_2019-5-2_11-44-17.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,112 of 1,955
I have these custom made from China. I can order them in bulk sets and to me they to me are the best as the chamber is bigger and full ear fits in. They are a little more rigid and less wide than say Dekoni's but the audio is more sharp and you also need the attenuation ring. Bass remains excellent.

Beside stock EMU pad, Lawton pads might be the closest. Oh did I also mention THX? :L3000:

Can these be ordered?

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,115 of 1,955
Does anyone how e-mu teak's compare to zmf blackwood's?

Anything specific you’re looking for in the comparison? If it’s just in general the Blackwood Auteurs will beat out the E-MU Teaks in all aspects except maybe for noise isolation.

Edit: Ah, I think you mean ZMF Blackwood T50RPs

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,116 of 1,955
Hey all,

Just picked up some used-new to me Teaks. They have the non-detachable cable. Not a huge issue with me, however, I'd like to change out the 3.5mm unbalanced male connector to a 2.5mm balanced. I've been told and assume these are wired balanced so that shouldn't be an issue. I did try a search on this thread but did not find an answer but I could have missed it. Has anyone done this before on theirs with the non-detachable cable? If so, I would love some pointers. Where did you buy the 2.5mm connector? Just trying to run these balanced off of a portable amp/dac. Any reason why headphones aren't terminated to 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced in the first place with a 3.5mm adapter? If there is an easier solution, I'm all ears.

Much appreciated

Jul 20, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,117 of 1,955
Hey all,

Just picked up some used-new to me Teaks. They have the non-detachable cable. Not a huge issue with me, however, I'd like to change out the 3.5mm unbalanced male connector to a 2.5mm balanced. I've been told and assume these are wired balanced so that shouldn't be an issue. I did try a search on this thread but did not find an answer but I could have missed it. Has anyone done this before on theirs with the non-detachable cable? If so, I would love some pointers. Where did you buy the 2.5mm connector? Just trying to run these balanced off of a portable amp/dac. Any reason why headphones aren't terminated to 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced in the first place with a 3.5mm adapter? If there is an easier solution, I'm all ears.

Much appreciated

Good question they could wire it to 2.5 trrs and then appropriate adapters. You could do the hifiman mod or if brave enough the 2.5/3.5mm mod which requires modifications. Its also possible to aquire the TH900 connector.

I sold my removable EMU, I know I'll regret it. I'm on the hunt for a D2000 so any mods I'll do I'll share.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #1,118 of 1,955
Thanks for the help. In searching for some of these mods, I found some DIY stuff from robrob that looks promising. Where would I find the TH900 connector? Lawton?

Besides going from unbalanced to balanced, the other benefit is to shorten the cable some. It's like fighting a 30ft python sometimes.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,119 of 1,955
I've also been scanning the different dac/amps people are using and looking for a good pair up. It seems many are using desktop setups. I'm really looking for portable/transportable in the $100 and no more than $200.

The usual suspects being:

Fiio Q1 mk2
Topping NX4
iFi nano BL
xDuoo xd-05

Anything else I should consider?

I did pick up the Radsone es100 during Prime day. It really does a very good job but looking to match the Teaks with a little more power.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #1,120 of 1,955
I've also been scanning the different dac/amps people are using and looking for a good pair up. It seems many are using desktop setups. I'm really looking for portable/transportable in the $100 and no more than $200.

The usual suspects being:

Fiio Q1 mk2
Topping NX4
iFi nano BL
xDuoo xd-05

Anything else I should consider?

I did pick up the Radsone es100 during Prime day. Itreally does a very good job but looking to match the Teaks with a little more power.

Hey Todd!

Well I think I'd recommend either the XDuoo - that thing's powerful enough from what I gather, or the iFi. I myself have the Micro DSD but I do here the Nano is powerful enough for these and a lot of others.

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #1,121 of 1,955
Good question they could wire it to 2.5 trrs and then appropriate adapters. You could do the hifiman mod or if brave enough the 2.5/3.5mm mod which requires modifications. Its also possible to aquire the TH900 connector.

I sold my removable EMU, I know I'll regret it. I'm on the hunt for a D2000 so any mods I'll do I'll share.
Yeah unfortunately they'd have to be rewired, the fixed cable one. I gather even the now removable cable ones (the ones with 2.5mm) will need a different cable too.
Stock EMU and even the Fostex I believe have only three wires inside that vacuum cable or even the new EMU thin braided cable. Either way, putting a balanced plug alone at the end is helpless.

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #1,122 of 1,955
Hey Todd! Well I think I'd recommend either the XDuoo - that thing's powerful enough from what I gather, or the iFi. I myself have the Micro DSD but I do here the Nano is powerful enough for these and a lot of others.

Yeah unfortunately they'd have to be rewired, the fixed cable one. I gather even the now removable cable ones (the ones with 2.5mm) will need a different cable too.
Stock EMU and even the Fostex I believe have only three wires inside that vacuum cable or even the new EMU thin braided cable. Either way, putting a balanced plug alone at the end is helpless.

Your advice is much appreciated. I've been going round and round trying to find the "perfect" amp/dac. The proverbial paralysis by analysis. I dare say that is a common sickness around here. :wink:

Ugh, why E-mu......WHY? I'm just now diving into the headphone world but I really don't understand why everyone wires unbalanced. It just seems so backwards since you can't go balanced to unbalanced with an adapter. Wire balanced to a 2.5mm or 4.4mm and include an adapter.....or don't, I would gladly buy ALL the adapters I need. Rant over.

I'm not going to mess with the cables on these then. Too much modification for my lack of skill level. If it was just cutting off the 3.5 and soldering a 2.5......then maybe. I'm sure there is someone out there I could send these to and have the rewiring done but not sure I want to mess with that either. Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be a standard setup for how the 2.5mm is supposed to be wired. Meaning, some amp manufacturers wire the TRRS differently. What happens when you own 2 balanced amps with different wiring? I could be completely wrong on this whole wiring thing. And maybe balanced vs. unbalanced isn't that big of a deal.

Anywho, none of that is aimed at you AT Khan, just spouting out my mental anguish.

Thanks again.........Cheers!

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,123 of 1,955
Your advice is much appreciated. I've been going round and round trying to find the "perfect" amp/dac. The proverbial paralysis by analysis. I dare say that is a common sickness around here. :wink:

Ugh, why E-mu......WHY? I'm just now diving into the headphone world but I really don't understand why everyone wires unbalanced. It just seems so backwards since you can't go balanced to unbalanced with an adapter. Wire balanced to a 2.5mm or 4.4mm and include an adapter.....or don't, I would gladly buy ALL the adapters I need. Rant over.

I'm not going to mess with the cables on these then. Too much modification for my lack of skill level. If it was just cutting off the 3.5 and soldering a 2.5......then maybe. I'm sure there is someone out there I could send these to and have the rewiring done but not sure I want to mess with that either. Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong but there doesn't seem to be a standard setup for how the 2.5mm is supposed to be wired. Meaning, some amp manufacturers wire the TRRS differently. What happens when you own 2 balanced amps with different wiring? I could be completely wrong on this whole wiring thing. And maybe balanced vs. unbalanced isn't that big of a deal.

Anywho, none of that is aimed at you AT Khan, just spouting out my mental anguish.

Thanks again.........Cheers!

Hahaha I understand. I guess they're still onto the original design, original configuration etc etc. Though I must say, there's a reason for it all. It's a tried and tested platform - I guess they figured people would not really have high demand for a balanced configuration. I myself don't yet consider balanced a requirement, but maybe I don't have a balanced DAC/Amp yet. Time will tell. So far, so good.

Furthermore, to be honest modding this is quite easy. And everything is reversible. It's hardly a problem. If you look around, or need my help with it, you could look and see how easily you could unscrew the cup and then the driver and really solder in your desired manner. It's very easy.
You could rewire them to run in a balanced mode. It's hardly a problem. Maybe you can have your first foray into a DIYing a balanced pair of cans!
Once you DIY though, I have to tell you...you'll never go back. You will have limitless options on what to do and what not to without having to waste more money on getting ready-made stuff.
Take a shot.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,124 of 1,955
Hahaha I understand. I guess they're still onto the original design, original configuration etc etc. Though I must say, there's a reason for it all. It's a tried and tested platform - I guess they figured people would not really have high demand for a balanced configuration. I myself don't yet consider balanced a requirement, but maybe I don't have a balanced DAC/Amp yet. Time will tell. So far, so good.

Furthermore, to be honest modding this is quite easy. And everything is reversible. It's hardly a problem. If you look around, or need my help with it, you could look and see how easily you could unscrew the cup and then the driver and really solder in your desired manner. It's very easy.
You could rewire them to run in a balanced mode. It's hardly a problem. Maybe you can have your first foray into a DIYing a balanced pair of cans!
Once you DIY though, I have to tell you...you'll never go back. You will have limitless options on what to do and what not to without having to waste more money on getting ready-made stuff.
Take a shot.

Ok, now you're starting to sound like an enabler.:ksc75smile: I'm thinking I may need to get off this site sooner rather than later.

I'm sure the balanced/unbalanced thing has been beaten like a dead horse. My quest was trying to find out if I was going to buy a balanced or unbalanced amp/dac. After further re-examination of my original examination of a portable amp/dac, I think I'm leaning toward the Topping NX4, which does not have a balanced output. So, I may have saved myself some headache in that regard.

I bought the Teaks to listen at work and have a portable/transportable system at a reasonably affordable cost. That being said, if I ever get to a much nicer setup and feel the need to go balanced, I may come knocking on your door. In which case, you're likely to regret your offer to help me. :wink: I did take off the pads and see where these do seem to come apart pretty easy so I see where you're coming from. I will definitely keep this in mind but probably on the back burner.

Jul 21, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,125 of 1,955
Ok, now you're starting to sound like an enabler.:ksc75smile: I'm thinking I may need to get off this site sooner rather than later.

I'm sure the balanced/unbalanced thing has been beaten like a dead horse. My quest was trying to find out if I was going to buy a balanced or unbalanced amp/dac. After further re-examination of my original examination of a portable amp/dac, I think I'm leaning toward the Topping NX4, which does not have a balanced output. So, I may have saved myself some headache in that regard.

I bought the Teaks to listen at work and have a portable/transportable system at a reasonably affordable cost. That being said, if I ever get to a much nicer setup and feel the need to go balanced, I may come knocking on your door. In which case, you're likely to regret your offer to help me. :wink: I did take off the pads and see where these do seem to come apart pretty easy so I see where you're coming from. I will definitely keep this in mind but probably on the back burner.

Hahahaaaaaa perfect, perfect.

Yeah you know where to find me lol. And yeah, enjoy them the way they are. Balanced is kind of... a more purity requirement yet it may involve placebo as well if you know, your equipment is no further than 2, 3 feet from you, or you don't have real long cables running or are surrounded by a lot EMF or your gear is just too damn sophisticated in terms of circuits and chains, then you probably don't need it.

As always: Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back