E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,082 of 1,955
How do you get the Emu teak headphones? I tried to send an email to that address "enquiry@emu.com" and I just get "message failed" saying could not deliver the email. Is there another email to speak to this Chan guy about the Emus?

That's the one that I used to order a while back. But, there is also this one worth trying: support@emu.com

Feb 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #1,084 of 1,955
Feb 15, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,085 of 1,955
Have you compared the X00 and Teaks? It is hard to know from reading about them because people describe the differences but it could be that they sound almost the same, or it could be that the Teaks are significantly better than the X00. From what I have read the Teaks have the same pads and slightly different cups, not sure if the drivers are any different?

If I was to "upgrade" my X00, it would be partly for removable cables, but I would also like a more neutral version of the X00 (mahogany) with smoother treble, which from what I have read sounds like the Teak.. Although this difference in sound quality could be 1% or 50% !

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,087 of 1,955
Thanks I will try that one, are the Emu's an upgrade to the X00? The removable cable is nice, but is the sound better than the X00?

IMO the Teaks were a huge upgrade to the X00. They look nearly identical but the sound is rather different. I had a TX00 and quickly sold it...I found the entire treble range to be hyped, grainy, shouty, unbearable. The mids were nothing special. The whole point of the headphone was the bass, which was seriously deep & impactful, including very good sub-bass (1st time I'd heard that).

The key to the different sound of the Teaks is the larger internal volume & different damping of the teak earcups. The other wood options for the E Mu are the same internal volume & external dimensions as the mahogany or ebony or purpleheart TX00s.

The Teaks trade a bit of sub-bass (still quite good, though) for better everything else IMO: a more organic, relaxed, euphonic sound, but still w/some kick in the upper mids. I would still have the Teaks if not for the uncomfortable earpads).

I think the Teaks win over the TX00 by a country mile.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #1,088 of 1,955
Thanks I will try that one, are the Emu's an upgrade to the X00? The removable cable is nice, but is the sound better than the X00?

I've got to agree with @Pharmaboy. The Teaks are much more refined and coherent, and have better detail than the TX00 Mahogs. The latter are fun, but woolly and bloated in the bass. Most everything else gets washed out. The Purplehearts do a bit better at resolving that bass, but the mids are even less pronounced. The Ebony abandons that pursuit of a hard V shape and has a broadly warm and lush sound. I actually like all the Fostexes that I've heard, so I'm not trying to argue against ever buying them, but the E-MU Teak is really quite special.

...but I would also like a more neutral version of the X00 (mahogany) with smoother treble, which from what I have read sounds like the Teak.. Although this difference in sound quality could be 1% or 50% !

The Teaks are more neutral, but they are certainly not neutral. If you want something fairly close to neutral, check out the TH610.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #1,089 of 1,955
Hm just googled the price of the Teaks, are they really $550? How much have you all paid for the Teaks from Emu? Thanks.

IIRC, I paid $499 through Massdrop back in late 2017, but they now come with a much better cable (and a cute little cable box thing).

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,090 of 1,955
IIRC, I paid $499 through Massdrop back in late 2017, but they now come with a much better cable (and a cute little cable box thing).

How much should they cost for the best price from EMU? Because if they are something like 549 + 30 postage, that is literally double what I paid for the X00, not sure they are worth double, especially when LCD 2C is available for that same amount.

Am I right that these are same pads, same drivers, just different cups and removable cables? In that case it would be cheaper for me to just get some new cups for my X00? Or are the Teaks different in some other way than the cups?

Also I think the x00 Ebony look interesting, unfortunately I don't think they will be available again because apparently it is a rare wood.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,091 of 1,955
Another option there would be just getting a lawton mod for my X00 and doing just the driver part, from what I have read that might give me better quality than the EMU's overall and would cost £45. Still not removable cable but meh a removable cable is not worth twice the cost of the ones I have now.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,092 of 1,955
How much should they cost for the best price from EMU? Because if they are something like 549 + 30 postage, that is literally double what I paid for the X00, not sure they are worth double, especially when LCD 2C is available for that same amount.

Am I right that these are same pads, same drivers, just different cups and removable cables? In that case it would be cheaper for me to just get some new cups for my X00? Or are the Teaks different in some other way than the cups?

They're probably a bit more expensive direct from E-MU. There was just a drop completed on Massdrop but I can't see the price anymore. My $499 (+$20 shipping) was the the removable cable version, but with v1 of the cable which is a 10ft monster. I suspect that the driver is pretty much the same, but the tuning is different -- cup shape/wood, damping etc. No idea how different because I've not heard any of the Fostex versions.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #1,093 of 1,955
Hm well these do not seem so interesting if they are going to cost double the X00, maybe I will look at doing a lawton mod (drivers only) on the X00, that would be massively cheaper and might even end up sounding better than the Teaks. If the Teaks had a different driver to the X00, I could understand these differences, but same pads, same drivers, does make me a bit doubtful that they can sound THAT much different to the X00 or X00 + lawton mod. I know cups can make a difference but as far as I know pads and drivers make more difference than cups.

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,094 of 1,955
How exactly do you go about getting these? I have sent an email to both of the enquiry@emu.com and support@emu.com emails about 3 times for both, every time I get a "Your message wasn't delivered. Despite repeated attempts to deliver your message, the recipient's email system refused to accept a connection from your email system." email back a few days later? Any idea why this is? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back