E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #706 of 1,955
Has anyone else tried Eikon pads with these? Also, if someone ever developed a replacement inner ring thing (sewn into stock pads) that worked equally well, that could be inserted in such pads before putting them on the larger outer white ring (that attaches them to the cup) that would be great. I know a few have tried this. I mean someone actually making them in numbers and selling them to the rest of us perhaps.

Yes, I know of at least one Head-Fi member who tested the Eikon pads (and others) on his E MU Teak. Check out post #1235 from the Atticus & Eikon thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...dphones-from-zmf.821782/page-83#post-13093678

I'm pretty sure this same person went into more detail about Eikon pads + E MU Teaks in subsequent posts (late dec/early jan...?). His preference sonically was the stock pads, but he found them to be uncomfortable. His preference (by far) for comfort was the Eikon pads, which he felt retained ~95% of the sonic qualities of stock pads. He said the Eikon pads are a bit oversized for the E MU Teak (~110 mm wide vs ~100 mm wide HP earcups)--but he could make it work.

As for the replacement inner ring thing, I'm confused about that. There's a brand of pads called Dekoni (sold exclusively via Massdrop), and some of those fit the E MU Teak. They have been reviewed on Head-Fi--mostly positive, but Massdrop discussion comments were more mixed as to effects of these pads on sound of the headphones. Anyway, I mention this because the Dekoni pads come with their own plastic insert, which users are advised to retain when using w/E MU Teaks (ie, put the white circular ring from the Teaks' stock pads on top of that Dekoni ring, then install pads on HPs).

(confusing)

BTW, I'm still getting no response from Chan @emu.com, which is totally weird. Some of the people on Head-Fi have gotten their Teaks w/in 2-3 weeks of order, and here I am, 4+ weeks out and I can't even get a response, period. I just sent what will probably be my final attempts at email messaging to Chan (vis 2 email accts)--and backed that up w/a msg via Emu.com's contact form. If no word in 1-2 weeks, I'll be compelled to do a Paypal dispute. It's the absolute last thing I want...all I ever wanted was to own & hear these headphones!

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #707 of 1,955
Has anyone else tried Eikon pads with these? Also, if someone ever developed a replacement inner ring thing (sewn into stock pads) that worked equally well, that could be inserted in such pads before putting them on the larger outer white ring (that attaches them to the cup) that would be great. I know a few have tried this. I mean someone actually making them in numbers and selling them to the rest of us perhaps.

I use the Eikon pads on my Teak. Best comfort and sound I've found after trying 6+ other pads.

I don't think anyone has made a replacement ring.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #708 of 1,955
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #709 of 1,955
Here you go

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #710 of 1,955
Anyone have my Chans contact info to purchase the different cups? PLanning on purchasing a pair of these or a pair of th-x00 and want to purchase a few different pairs of cups.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #711 of 1,955

Great link. But I must say, the "Earpadz Fit Chart" linked out from that page is INSANE. It has no mention of any Fostex headphones at all, despite the product page being titled, "
Dekoni Audio Attenuation ring for use with Fostex Massdrop X00, TH610, and TH900 Headphones"

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #712 of 1,955
I use the Eikon pads on my Teak. Best comfort and sound I've found after trying 6+ other pads. I don't think anyone has made a replacement ring.

I'd gather you could easily cut one out (it can be done in two parts per some instructions) with info found on here. I'd be curious to see if you felt it improved the sound. Also given the pads are a bit larger than stock, there is a bit of extra room for you to fit those in. Maybe even slightly thicker versions than stock, since the thickness (from what I had read of the thinner Dekoni version) is considered not to be enough.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #713 of 1,955
Is Chan still selling the E-MU Teak if you contact directly? I missed the last drop for these on MD as I was traveling outside the country for a month, and still wanted to pick them up. I emailed him the other day, but still, haven't heard back so was curious if that avenue of purchase was till available.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #714 of 1,955
Is Chan still selling the E-MU Teak if you contact directly? I missed the last drop for these on MD as I was traveling outside the country for a month, and still wanted to pick them up. I emailed him the other day, but still, haven't heard back so was curious if that avenue of purchase was till available.
I Am not sure i am trying to find his contact info for purchasing just the cups. I am planning purchasing either the headphones secondhand.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #715 of 1,955
Jul 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #716 of 1,955
Help!

The stock cable on my Teaks broke. I need a replacement cable. I've gone back through the thread since my last reply and it looks like Redco isn't an option, but it sounds like either http://www.ebay.com/itm/311353851834 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-End-4-Cores-5N-OCC-HiFi-Cable-Headphone-Upgrade-Cable-For-Oppo-PM-1-PM-2/122592862178?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=41375&meid=0de75c6000be47c0926e226bd8c57fcf&pid=100012&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=122369804019 would work. Is that correct?

I don't own the E MU Teaks (yet--mine will arrive in 2-3 wks), but I've done quite a bit of reading about them. And along the way, the 3.5mm male connectors that plug into each earcup have been described by several owners as being longer than most 3.5mm jacks. This complicates the process of buying an aftermarket cable. I can't point you at specific posts about this, but I remember several owners saying that this or that aftermarket cable wouldn't work, in account of the longer-than-usual jacks on the stock cable.

I recently ordered the E MU Teak with the stock, balanced cable. But I also asked Chan to include 2 of the 3.5mm jacks, so that I could send them to whomever I pick to make an aftermarket cable for these headphones (almost certainly it will be the 20 gauge "extended bass" version of the Forza Audio Works "Copper Series HPC MK2").

I just didn't feel like messing with the uncertainty of those jacks...better to actually have a pair. The other potential issue (I'm guessing) is that not every cable out there will fit those jacks. Better safe than sorry...

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #717 of 1,955
Here it is Aug. 1st. Ordered my E MU Teak direct from Chan on 6/9th; didn't want the usual 2 month wait on Head-Fi, plus wanted a balanced cable (not offered on Massdrop. Since then it has been like falling down the stairs (of a skyscraper) in slow motion:
  • Some here got their HPs direct from Chan in as little as 2-3 weeks
  • Not me. After chasing him for weeks via email (my emails kept going to his spam folder), finally he got back to me and said my order was being lumped in with the Massdrop orders (What?) and would be shipped ~7/27th. Pretty bad news.
  • 7/27th came and went. Finally got an email on 7/31st that my order had been shipped by Fedex.
  • But that's a problem, since I asked for shipping via postal mail & gave my P.O. Box as "ship to."That's the address they used for Fedex--and Fedex doesn't deliver to P.O. boxes.
  • So today I am informed of the obvious--that my order will be returned to them by Fedex in "1-2 days" (really?), then they'll re-ship to my street address, which I gave them.
I'm pessimistic, it's not as if I actually want bad experiences. Here, I never saw it coming here...figured I'd get my headphones in 3-4 weeks after ordering.

All will be forgiven (sort of) if these headphones show up w/accessories as ordered, and there are no cracks in the earcups.

(sound of fingers being crossed by someone who doesn't much believe in hopeful thinking)

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #718 of 1,955
So far compared to the x00 Mahogany, these seems to have more lush vocals down low. Especially for male vocals it's more throaty and warm. So much better, and something missing in the x00 mh. I think the highs are similar, so it seems the teaks are less fatiguing since that lower end kicks in and helps the fatigue with the x00 I get overtime. These are just so god damn enjoyable for podcasts. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Something the x00 mh misses these make up for imo. There was something missing in vocals and music down in the lower mids that I didn't really like. These teaks are perfectly warm and lush as I was hoping for. These are also a bit lighter, with a slightly more clamp force maybe because they're new still the clamp is tighter. The ear cups seems a bit deeper too. Again maybe because these are new.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #719 of 1,955
So far compared to the x00 Mahogany, these seems to have more lush vocals down low. Especially for male vocals it's more throaty and warm. So much better, and something missing in the x00 mh. I think the highs are similar, so it seems the teaks are less fatiguing since that lower end kicks in and helps the fatigue with the x00 I get overtime. These are just so god damn enjoyable for podcasts. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. Something the x00 mh misses these make up for imo. There was something missing in vocals and music down in the lower mids that I didn't really like. These teaks are perfectly warm and lush as I was hoping for. These are also a bit lighter, with a slightly more clamp force maybe because they're new still the clamp is tighter. The ear cups seems a bit deeper too. Again maybe because these are new.

Nice to read these sound impressions, which match what others say in reviews or comments.

It's a welcome reminder of why I ordered these headphones, and despite problems w/ordering process, still really look forward to hearing them.

"lush vocals down low," "less fatiguing," "that lower end kicks in" -- you're describing my sonic preferences here. If these match your description and do soundstaging reasonably well (not to much to expect, given that I'll be running them balanced out of 1-2 amps that can do terrific soundstaging), I'll be a happy camper.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #720 of 1,955
Here it is Aug. 1st. Ordered my E MU Teak direct from Chan on 6/9th; didn't want the usual 2 month wait on Head-Fi, plus wanted a balanced cable (not offered on Massdrop. Since then it has been like falling down the stairs (of a skyscraper) in slow motion:
  • Some here got their HPs direct from Chan in as little as 2-3 weeks
  • Not me. After chasing him for weeks via email (my emails kept going to his spam folder), finally he got back to me and said my order was being lumped in with the Massdrop orders (What?) and would be shipped ~7/27th. Pretty bad news.
  • 7/27th came and went. Finally got an email on 7/31st that my order had been shipped by Fedex.
  • But that's a problem, since I asked for shipping via postal mail & gave my P.O. Box as "ship to."That's the address they used for Fedex--and Fedex doesn't deliver to P.O. boxes.
  • So today I am informed of the obvious--that my order will be returned to them by Fedex in "1-2 days" (really?), then they'll re-ship to my street address, which I gave them.
I'm pessimistic, it's not as if I actually want bad experiences. Here, I never saw it coming here...figured I'd get my headphones in 3-4 weeks after ordering.

All will be forgiven (sort of) if these headphones show up w/accessories as ordered, and there are no cracks in the earcups.

(sound of fingers being crossed by someone who doesn't much believe in hopeful thinking)

Boy, I thought I had a rough time ordering directly. Went weeks without email communication but they at least hit the shipping date I'd originally been given.

Wound up going with a replacement cable from Dyson, arrived earlier this week, works great.

But, I went to change out the ebony cups for my teak ones last night and noticed that one of the teak cups now has a hairline crack of about 1". Unfortunate, to say the least, but it doesn't appear to have penetrated the entire thing, as the inside is still all intact. Unsure of what to do, if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back