E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #841 of 1,955
How does this stunning E-MUs compare to AQ Nighthawk?

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #842 of 1,955
I've scoured this thread for ebony vs rosewood impressions and there are some great ones. Can anyone comment on the Rosewood vs the Mahogany? From most descriptions I see PH on one side of the V-shape spectrum and the Teak as most balanced. The Ebony and Rosewood side by side in terms of bass but the Rosewood having better highs, the Ebony sounds bass thick and slower (those some have said this is very smooth sounding). The Mahogany comes next and closer to the Teak, some say quite a bit away from the Ebony and Rosewood. What is it about the Rosewood that is better than the Mahogany?

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #843 of 1,955
...the Ebony sounds bass thick and slower (those some have said this is very smooth sounding). ...

Disclaimer: I've only tried the TH-X00-series, but I assume they are quite similar in sound to the E-MUs.
I think the two mahoganies I've tried sounded more muddy in the bass than the ebony one I have now. The ebonies also sound much deeper and precise in the bass-frequencies, altho possibly a bit unbalanced (lacking certain lower freq's?). I believe the slight slowness that appears, has to be inherent in the design of the entire headphone family and caused by the semi-ventilated cups meaning that the driver can't breathe entirely freely. People have a tendency to forget this when getting expensive upgrades, but I don't think we can expect any kind of wood to actually make the bass that much faster. That issue must be highly related to the driver and how much air-resistance it seems.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #844 of 1,955
Disclaimer: I've only tried the TH-X00-series, but I assume they are quite similar in sound to the E-MUs.
I think the two mahoganies I've tried sounded more muddy in the bass than the ebony one I have now. The ebonies also sound much deeper and precise in the bass-frequencies, altho possibly a bit unbalanced (lacking certain lower freq's?). I believe the slight slowness that appears, has to be inherent in the design of the entire headphone family and caused by the semi-ventilated cups meaning that the driver can't breathe entirely freely. People have a tendency to forget this when getting expensive upgrades, but I don't think we can expect any kind of wood to actually make the bass that much faster. That issue must be highly related to the driver and how much air-resistance it seems.

The TX-00 series looks nearly identical to the E-Mu Teak series, and the Fostex frame is the same for both, as are the uncomfortable stock earpads--so it's easy to assume they sound alike. But they actually don't sound alike, beyond a superficial family resemblance.

The single biggest difference is that the teak earcups of the E-Mu Teaks have slightly different outer profile & a noticeably different inside one: they also have a slightly more spacious interior; these factors clearly change the sound vs TX-00s vs TX-00s.

I owned a mahogany TX-00 and found the bass to be deep & impactful, dynamic to the point of occasionally being jarring; midrange was somewhat recessed; treble was (to my ears) rather bright & grainy. Soundstaging was below average. I sold the TX-00s due to the bothersome treble.

The E-Mu Teaks sounded better in many ways IMO. The bass sounded richer/fuller, nearly as deep, just as impactful, but not as dry (bass is the best feature of the Teaks IMO). Mids sound somewhat recessed & soundstaging was somewhat below average, but a little better than the TX-00s. The upper midrange & treble could get a trifle sharp, but usually stayed w/in bounds (unlike the TX-00s). The overall sound (w/the right amp) could be very pleasing: organic, smooth, relaxed, but very impactful when the music requires it.

I greatly preferred the Teaks, though I ended up selling them just because they sounded fairly similar to a couple other HPs on hand (plus I felt like getting an endgame HP of some kind).

In fairness, many people seem to like the treble of the TX-00s (w/various woods).

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #845 of 1,955
Yeah I've noticed that the outer profile is slightly different/larger, and also heard that the walls are thinner for the teaks specifically, but some other photos suggested something different. My TH-X00 Ebonies actually have a very well-behaving treble, while both Mahoganies I tried could be described as ear-splitting when compared directly to them. Imagine that! ;D Of course the pair you had could have been a harsher, older revision but I find it hard to believe they coulda changed that much. I would actually advise people to try out Sun Kil Moon's Admiral Fell Promises with the TH-X00 Ebonies. It's surprisingly enjoyable!

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #846 of 1,955
How these sound comp. to Audioquest Nighthawk?

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #848 of 1,955
Thank you for your impressions. I,m just looking for a closed brother of the Nighthawk...

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #850 of 1,955
... the nightowls play quite similar, the new should deliver a bit of contrast to them or can play in a higher level. Love these biocell drivers :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #851 of 1,955
I ordered a E-MU Teak now... Need some patience to get it. Chan told me that he can send end of january, then customs will need 2-3 weeks :frowning2: good things need time :wink:

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #852 of 1,955
ZMF has said a pad more specifically made to offer Ori / Eikon type comfort, but retaining or improving the stock sound is in the works. Proper thickness and design. He may want to know about this felt thing. It would make sense that felt outdoes mere plastic to improve the sound. I think he searches threads for "ZMF" so he should likely see this.

Do you have any news/updates on this? Has Zach dropped pursuing this mission, or will he actually release pads specifically tailored for the X00/EMU sometime in the future?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #853 of 1,955
I ordered a E-MU Teak now... Need some patience to get it. Chan told me that he can send end of january, then customs will need 2-3 weeks :frowning2: good things need time :wink:

The Teak is definitely worth the wait, Chan is a blast to work with as well, so no worries your Teak should show up in no time.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #854 of 1,955
... Chan wrote me that the teaks should be shipped at the end of the day :wink:

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #855 of 1,955
How does one order directly from Chan? I'm getting tired of waiting around for another mass Massdrop drop. Also, how are the prices directly from Chan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back