E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #1,711 of 1,955
I;m sure their headphone is good, but sadly no one here have their sample, on any audio shop here in my country Indonesia has their sample at all, and i couldnot find any audiophille here have them too, the only thing i can do is blind buy but with my email never replied i reluctant to continue, i only tried th900 in short time and i liked it, it's easier to find it here that time, but now it's hard too coz of COVID, that's why im looking for alnternative, at least it can be found in the past with TH900, i just wonder why so hard to find Teak user here, also it doesnt change the fact that they didnot good in costumer service departement compare even butique company like ZMF, no dealer here as well too, they definitely bad in marketing departement as well, ZMF even easier to auditioning here than E-MU, they are same boutique company.
Try emailing support@emu.com. I just ordered a pair and emailed first the enquiry address. Didn't get an answer in a week, so I tried sending a mail to the support address instead, and they replied to me the next day. I think they ain't using the enquiry one anymore

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,712 of 1,955
The build quality of the Denons D5200 or D7200 excels the E-MUs, that’s what I’ve read in multiple posts also. Maybe compared to the relatively low price of the D7200 now and even cheaper (475€) than the E-MUs right now, I wonder if the E-MUs are worth the +150€ for shipping and tax included😳
Someone who does not know both listeners will not notice the difference in sound.
I'm referring to the older design of both headphones compared to the current Denon series.

But someone who knows them will go for the Fostex or Emu.
I didn't notice it at first, but I did later when I compared them, and that's how it stayed.

The workmanship of the current Denon series is indeed remarkable, I would wish for that on the old series if I am honest.

Apart from that, the Emu has the advantage that you can change the cups and pads and bring them as far as you want.
The current Denon series can't do that.
So if you buy the current Denon series then it is as it is.
You can only have a little influence on the amplifier, but nothing more.

I would only want to listen to the D7200 on a fairly neutral amplifier, then the bass response will be better. That it bleeds less into the mids. But this is purely my subjective opinion.
Others see it differently, as we have seen, without wanting to make a science out of it.
I found the D5200 breathtakingly good on the Macintosh. Everything fit where I thought wow, the amplifier and the headphones, that's all you need.
The only thing is that the amplifier costs a lot, unfortunately.
I listened to it on another amplifier and all I could think was help. Nothing fit anymore, no bass, much too sharp and so on.

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #1,713 of 1,955
Someone who does not know both listeners will not notice the difference in sound.
I'm referring to the older design of both headphones compared to the current Denon series.

But someone who knows them will go for the Fostex or Emu.
I didn't notice it at first, but I did later when I compared them, and that's how it stayed.

The workmanship of the current Denon series is indeed remarkable, I would wish for that on the old series if I am honest.

Apart from that, the Emu has the advantage that you can change the cups and pads and bring them as far as you want.
The current Denon series can't do that.
So if you buy the current Denon series then it is as it is.
You can only have a little influence on the amplifier, but nothing more.

I would only want to listen to the D7200 on a fairly neutral amplifier, then the bass response will be better. That it bleeds less into the mids. But this is purely my subjective opinion.
Others see it differently, as we have seen, without wanting to make a science out of it.
I found the D5200 breathtakingly good on the Macintosh. Everything fit where I thought wow, the amplifier and the headphones, that's all you need.
The only thing is that the amplifier costs a lot, unfortunately.
I listened to it on another amplifier and all I could think was help. Nothing fit anymore, no bass, much too sharp and so on.
Hey, thanks for your thoughts…really valuable. I think for the modding as far as I would go might be only to try different pads from Dekoni on the D7200’s (Audio Elite Sheepskin for TH900s fit also). Just curious what Macintosh Amp are you refering to, MHA 200 or 150?! Right now I’m listening to them on my Mojo but looking forward to buy a Violectric V280 for I like warmer sound more than neutral Amps. Maybe also get an extra Dac like the Ares II.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,715 of 1,955
Has anyone had issues fitting the Brainwavz Oval Pleather pads onto the Teaks? It seems like the plastic ring would snap if I tried to fit these pads over it.

These are the pads I'm using. Please correct me if I purchased the wrong ones but it seems like others have swapped to these pads successfully. The dimensions are 110mm x 90mm. Thank ya!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,716 of 1,955
Regarding the driver/diaphragm, does anyone know if the Teak uses the same bio-cellulose diaphragm of the D7200? (as with the earlier Denon D5000/7000). Or is it more like the papar driver of the D5200. I've been googling and browsing the thread gallery but there seems not a clear image of the Teak driver itself.

https://neoguri.home.xs4all.nl/temp/3e9L2sKzDb/denon-ah-d7200-vs-ah-d-5200.jpg

I used to own the D5000 and D7000 back in the days. Sometimes I miss them a lot.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,717 of 1,955
Regarding the driver/diaphragm, does anyone know if the Teak uses the same bio-cellulose diaphragm of the D7200? (as with the earlier Denon D5000/7000). Or is it more like the papar driver of the D5200. I've been googling and browsing the thread gallery but there seems not a clear image of the Teak driver itself.

https://neoguri.home.xs4all.nl/temp/3e9L2sKzDb/denon-ah-d7200-vs-ah-d-5200.jpg

I used to own the D5000 and D7000 back in the days. Sometimes I miss them a lot.
See here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones.781884/page-114

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #1,718 of 1,955
Dec 28, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,719 of 1,955
Thanks. So I've mistaken by saying that the D7200 is using the earlier bio-cellulose diaphragm.

Since the TRX00, Teak and the earlier Denons are all using the same driver it would be safe to assume that both the magnets and the diaphragms are the same then?
Yes exactly, if you do a Google image search of all three headphones you will see that everything is the same even the frame.

The only difference is that the driver of the Fostex Th900 has more power and that all headphones use different cups which only differ in the type of wood that has the most influence on the sound.

Feb 13, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #1,720 of 1,955
Interested in getting the Teak if I can essentially turn it into a high quality bass cannot that boosts the base by like 5+db(will likely use with iFi Micro BL which boosts 20Hz by 10db and rolls off to about 200Hz. Are there a set of pads that either just increase the performance/technicalities of the headphone without reducing bass or boost the bass and keep or improve the rest of FR?

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #1,721 of 1,955
I run ZMF Eikon pads on mine with the Dekoni attenuator. I got these as the stock pads were too shallow for my ears. The Eikon protein pads kept the sound pretty close to stock with maybe a small bass boost. (Hard to really A/B small changes with a pad roll).

They are my bassiest headphones. More sub bass than Atticus and Verite Closed. Lots of mid bass too. They can get a bit hazy in the mids with faster music if a lot of bass is present.

I still keep them for that sub bass and quite open sound.

I got to hear Th900 at Can Jam and that headphone has more sub bass than the Emu teak but I don’t recall it being night and day. I recall the bigger difference was the smoother mids and treble on the Th900.

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #1,722 of 1,955
I run ZMF Eikon pads on mine with the Dekoni attenuator. I got these as the stock pads were too shallow for my ears. The Eikon protein pads kept the sound pretty close to stock with maybe a small bass boost. (Hard to really A/B small changes with a pad roll).

They are my bassiest headphones. More sub bass than Atticus and Verite Closed. Lots of mid bass too. They can get a bit hazy in the mids with faster music if a lot of bass is present.

I still keep them for that sub bass and quite open sound.

I got to hear Th900 at Can Jam and that headphone has more sub bass than the Emu teak but I don’t recall it being night and day. I recall the bigger difference was the smoother mids and treble on the Th900.
thank you but also kinda reading this feeling bad, I have ZMF uni sheepskin, fen sheepskin, and hybrids D: I honestly have too many damn pads it's legit like 20 pairs of bought pads, do the Eikon pads have a structure like any of the ones I currently have>

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #1,723 of 1,955
I haven't really pad rolled much on the Teak's after I got them. I'm pretty surprised by how much of a difference pad rolling makes on the Verite closed, so maybe for the Teak's as well? That's said I don't think it will make night/day difference in bass.

Are you looking for more mid bass or sub bass? I mean with iDSD micro and bass boost these have a lot of bass. I think if you want the most bass of the series it was the Drop purpleheart's, but I don't think they are making them anymore.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #1,724 of 1,955
Hard to compare the 7200 with the EMUs imo - i find them to be quite different. The EMUs are more open, clear and airy sounding compared to the 7200. The 7200 are more laid back, kind of veiled (many folks dont like that) and the bass is (sorry, my opinion) way more muddy and bloats into the mids. EMUs bass is more "slapping" and cleaner, the slam is different. That is for my taste definitely better for HipHop / EDM. Also more detail resolving with the EMUs - and also wider soundstage (for a closed headphone of course). 7200 is a bit more claustrophobic and "in your head". Can be nice, IF you like that. A also find the EMUs to be more "vivid" and fund-sounding than the 7200.

I have to say that the 7200 are SO great looking, i simply adore the design of these cans. But soundwise, the EMUs are a big upgrade for me. Use them with the stock pads, as well as with Dekonis Sheepskin + Attentuation rings with felt tape modding. I had some Fostex TR-X00 Ebony and the 7200 before - but the EMUs are better. The EMUs complement the rest of my headphones quite well (Hifiman Ananda, Hifiman HE-500 and Audioquest Nighthawk with SHURE pads).

But relax, folks - just my opinion. I know there are many people who simply like the 7200er a lot. They ARE great headphones, of course - but imo you can get more fore the money. My dream would be the look+feel of the D7200 combined with the EMUs sound :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,725 of 1,955
How about Teak vs Fostex X00 Purpleheart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back