E-MU 1212M is coming, what next?
Mar 29, 2006 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
After dedicating most of my musical enjoyment to my home setup, I finally decided to get some use out of the large collection of MP3's on my PC. I am very new to setting up a decent PC system, but I have an E-MU 1212M coming in a couple of days!

Do I need to get any additional cables?

I am going to be using a portable amp, either the SR-71, or the AE-1. Is an external DAC a must for optimal sound quality?

Please take me through some first steps at putting together this system!
cool.gif

[size=medium]Major Update!![/size]: Looks like my luck ran out, because when I opened up my PC to install the 1212M, due to the 2 Nvidia cards running in SLI, I now only have space for 1 PCI card!!
mad.gif
Looks like I will have to downgrade to the 0404!

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Do you have AIM or any other messenger? I can walk you through it and get you setup with all you need. If not just PM me and I will walk you through there.

-Alex-

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 11
I love the card. I had very few problems setting up the system with a DAC.

You don't have to get one right off though. Go to the Guitar Center in your city, and get a pair of cables with 1/4 mono jacks at one end (AKA "TS" plug) and RCA plugs at the other end to plug into your amp.

In my opinion, you need to spend at least $ 300+ to get a DAC that is much better than the 1212m. I am currently considering a Lavry Black for my nice system. I find my Spitfire only marginally better than the 1212m.

Since you are starting with a 1212m, I would concentrate on the amp and headphones. Consider an external DAC when upgrade bug bites you hard enough.

I think the 1212m is a great place to start with computer based sourcing, as it does a nice job with being a DAC, yet has a great digital out when you are ready to move up to external DAC.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
How do I hook my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers into this card? Do I keep the Audigy4 in my PC for use with my speakers?
confused.gif

Yeah, keep the Audigy4 for games and other stuff. Just use the Emu for music. What you'll need to do is get the cables Bones13 mentioned and plug the Emu into an amp and then plug your headphones into the amp.
Configure foobar or some other player to output to the Emu. You'll have to do some research to see if you want to use ASIO or kernel streaming and find out the other settings you need. It's all on here, just do a search.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Do you have AIM or any other messenger? I can walk you through it and get you setup with all you need. If not just PM me and I will walk you through there.

-Alex-

what a nice guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back