E-MU 0404 USB works with ASIO2KS
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

100+ Head-Fier
Just want to report that I got my E-MU 0404 USB to work with ASIO2KS (http://www.asio2ks.de) pretty easily... the latency must be set to around 8ms though. Give it a try if you are having problems with other drivers. BTW, I disabled the E-MU Audio service first.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 15
i use the asio component for foobar, works for me.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I've tried: asio2ks, asio4all, ASIO E-MU 0404|USB, ASIO multimedia and 1 or 2 others I don't recall offhand. All those that would install have worked reasonably well. I'm sticking with ASIO E-MU 0404|USB for now as those are the drivers that are supposedly written specifically for the device.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 15
Don't you find with the ASIO E-MU 0404|USB you get a delay when clicking on an mp3 to play? If I switch to my X-Fi and use Creative Asio I get no such delay. I'm using MediaMonkey for playing mp3's.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Nope, I haven't noticed any delay starting files of any format in either Foobar or BeatPort. I haven't tried MediaMonkey. I have noticed that Foobar loses the ASIO E-MU 0404|USB channels every time I reboot forcing me to delete the driver from "ASIO Virtual Devices" and re-add it. I haven't noticed this issue with any of the other ASIO dependent programs I'm testing.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Well, compared to using the X-Fi with Asio on the same PC there is a small delay. I'm talking about when double clicking an MP3 to play and not normal operation mode. No big deal, just something I noticed. X-Fi plays the file immediately and EMU 0404 Asio causes a slight delay.

Feb 15, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried: asio2ks, asio4all, ASIO E-MU 0404|USB, ASIO multimedia and 1 or 2 others I don't recall offhand. All those that would install have worked reasonably well. I'm sticking with ASIO E-MU 0404|USB for now as those are the drivers that are supposedly written specifically for the device.

I've found that the E-MU ASIO driver takes up way too many system resources. ASIO4ALL works but every so often foobar gives an error saying it expects 4 output channels but only find 2 (???). Asio2ks is the most compact, easy to use solution I have found so far, and it allows me to be doing other things while listening to music without the other programs getting bogged down by the E-MU drivers.

Feb 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Asio2ks started beeping after few minutes use.

edit: You're correct that the E-MU 0404|USB drivers don't seen to like to share with other high CPU demand programs. I'll reinstall Asio2ks again and see if the beeping reappears.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 15
seems like the 0404 has some issues eh? =0 i gotta try the ASIO2KS too, ASIO in foobar makes unbearable lag times to swap tracks and takes up like 40% of my cpu...

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autochthon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asio2ks started beeping after few minutes use.

haha, you know what the same thing happened to me today. I thought ASIO2KS was working fine with no beeps or any problems, and then I started to notice this random beep every few seconds. So i guess ASIO2KS is not the best option after all.

I uninstalled ASIO2KS using the button in the control panel, and installed ASIO4ALL v 2.7. In the offline settings i checked hardware buffer, set it to 8ms, and disabled the input. I added ASIO4ALL as an ASIO virtual device in foobar, and now everything is working fine as before. The only problem is if i try to use SSRC resampler to 192khz, I have to remove and re-add the ASIO virtual device. The latency using DPC latency checker is around 90 - 170 micro seconds with ASIO4ALL. My setup still has the benefit of being able to play games and stuff while playing music in the background with no gaps in playback (the ASIO4ALL driver is unobtrusive). If you are getting pauses in audio try setting the priority of foobar2000 to Real-Time.

So, the point is, you still shouldn't have to use the E-MU ASIO driver as its quite a resource hog.

May 2, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 15
I've tried to use ASIO with the 0404 and everything failed so far! Either I get crackling or Foobar crashes! Nothing like this happened with the xfi.
mad.gif

May 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 15
I am using the standard driver and get clicking every second or so. Hardware fault or driver? I have tried foobar with the standard driver playing flac, WMP playing a wav. When I tried foobar ASIO it cracked away to silence. Odd

May 26, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like the 0404 has some issues eh? =0 i gotta try the ASIO2KS too, ASIO in foobar makes unbearable lag times to swap tracks and takes up like 40% of my cpu...

The new addendum from emu recommended this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931321/
I know it seems to be nothing to do with audio, but emu say it is the right fix. It changes the usb. I am off home now to try it and will report after the weekend
Edit: No Joy. I have returned the 0404 in disgust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back