E-MU 0404 USB, use without a PC
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Catharsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been using the search function like mad, and my electronics knowledge is limited so bear with me.

I'm planning on purchasing the e-mu 0404 USB as a source upgrade but I DON'T want to be limited to having it connected to a PC via USB and playing through Foobar.

If I decide to purchase a CDP later on with a S/PDIF out, can I simply use the 0404 as a standalone DAC with a wall-wart with NO USB and NO Laptop? Just plug in the CDP and the Dt880's and have at it?

Thanks in advance smarty pants.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 17
I have one of these E-MU 0404 USB units. It's like a Swiss Army Audio Knife. It works completely stand alone as an analog mic pre, digital(coax or optical) ADC or DAC and headphone amp. On top of this, it has 1st rate measured performance. A stellar piece of gear except for the plastic enclosure. I would like to see a substantial metal chassis.

-Chris

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 17
The only thing I can think of I don't particularly like about the way the 0404 USB works standalone is you can't change the sample/bit rates without it being hooked up to a computer. It's stuck at the default of 44.1kHz/16-bit until you change it in E-mu's software.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Personally, I find the headamp portion of it to be a little lacking. The DAC portion is excellent, however.

that being said, I think you can still order the thing brand new from guitar center (the physical store, not online) for $130.

That's fapping ridiculous good value for money.

Also, regarding the upsampling, that is to be expected. The unit itself doesn't actually perform upsampling, it's just a converter. The reason you have to use the e-mu software to upsample is because the software is what is actually performing the upsampling. To add the hardware and software to the player would have been useless to 99% of the unit's audience, and would have significantly added to the cost of the box.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 17
It's alright if it defaults to 44.1khz/ 16bit for me as I'm playing CDs. Can't stand anything else.

Thank you so much for your posts!

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I can think of I don't particularly like about the way the 0404 USB works standalone is you can't change the sample/bit rates without it being hooked up to a computer. It's stuck at the default of 44.1kHz/16-bit until you change it in E-mu's software.

So once you plug it in and switch the sample/bit rate can you unplug the puter and it will retain the set rates as long as it's not powered down?

I asked this question of the EMU service folks and they assured and then (when I quoted parts of their own manual to them) reassured me that it wouldn't work unless hooked up to the puter.

I appreciate this thread a lot--off to look for one on ebay.
George

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 17
I would imagine that the source would dictate the sample rate no?

If you plug a DVD into the digital inputs, the EMU will default to 48khz if the EMU isn't plugged into USB. I'm just guessing here, but what other option does it have? Can a DAC like the EMU even downsample a native DVD 48khz?

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I find the headamp portion of it to be a little lacking.

Have to agree, I use it for converting vinyl and it does a great job, but the headphone amp is a disappointment.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catharsis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine that the source would dictate the sample rate no?

If you plug a DVD into the digital inputs, the EMU will default to 48khz if the EMU isn't plugged into USB. I'm just guessing here, but what other option does it have? Can a DAC like the EMU even downsample a native DVD 48khz?

I suppose your right. When you plug the digital source, E-MU turns Sync Status to Ext ... which normally means that the DAC sample-rate is set by the external source (aren't this the case with receivers as well). I have only tried by connecting the audio output from a DVB-C box (S/PDIF optical @ 48kHz) ...

jiitee

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to agree, I use it for converting vinyl and it does a great job, but the headphone amp is a disappointment.

I want to use it as an ADC. Do you know if one can set the output bit rate and then disconnect the computer? If there is a power outage what will the unit return to. It would be in the basement and a royal pain to have to take a laptop down and reconfigure it everytime we get a small power outage (happens fairly frequently as I live in the MA boonies). Course I could get a UPS I suppose, but I'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible. George

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 17
It defaults to 44.1 according to the latest firmware notes, regardless of what it was set to.

Do you have another target bit rate in mind?

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

It defaults to 44.1 according to the latest firmware notes, regardless of what it was set to.

Do you have another target bit rate in mind?

Thank you for your answer.

Well, if it would hold it, i'd use 24 bit/96k. Is that 44.1 24 or 16 bit, by my estimate that would be the most important factor.

Is there a new manual? I downloaded one maybe 6 months ago. Or does one get a read me file with the firmware update? TIA
George

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Would you like to analyze this a bit?
- where is this stated?

If you're referring this information found on E-MU Downloads -pages:

Quote:

Firmware Changes in this Release:

* S/PDIF input is no longer muted when the system is set to internal clock source and the S/PDIF input clock is the same as the system clock (0404-USB).
* Improved S/PDIF sync when receiving noisy or high-jitter signals (0404-USB).
* The 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz samples rates are no longer stored on power-off. Now, the system defaults to 44.1 kHz.

- what means "on power off"? ; do you power-off 0404 when running in standalone mode?

IMO, the bold clause is part of the 'paragraph' rather than separate 'paragraph.

jiitee

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 17
You don't power the unit off running in standalone mode, no. GSawdy was wondering if his system would reset to 44.1 if he had a power outage. It would.

Basically, if you wanted the system to record in 24/192 unconnected to a computer, you need to leave it running all the time. If the power is cut for some reason, it will default to 44.1. I can't find documentation explicitly stating that it resets to 16/44.1 over 24/44.1, but I presume it resets to standard redbook sampling. Mine seems to when I kill the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back