E-MU 0204 USB: Damn, They've Done it Again! And for $129!!!
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #19 of 310

Quote:
Can the preamp handle 600 ohms and 8 ohms headphones? 8 ohms as in vintage full size headphones, power hungry things.

That is a mic preamp

Quote:
I was thinking this could be an inexpensive balanced DAC.

As with 0202 and 0404, these are all balanced DAC

Quote:
From google image:

No RCA output at all?

Use TS to RCA adapter, DO NOT USE TRS

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042906&p_id=7149&seq=1&format=2

Quote:
From what I read 0204 does have balance output with TRS female socket, for example you can use this device with your monitor with these cables http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-HOS-STX1M-LIST

See above

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 310
Quote:
I was thinking this could be an inexpensive balanced DAC.

Not sure this can operate as a standalone DAC like the 0404 USB can, but the same could be said for the 0404 USB -- it's a ridiculously good value. For the last 2.5 years or so I've been using the balanced outputs of my 0404 USB through some self-made TRS to XLR cables to some active studio monitors and I haven't felt the urge to upgrade yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #23 of 310
@ Infinitesymphony

Can these E-MU devices not send out a line out signal? Does it always have to be amped signal even from the outputs?

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 310
The signal is not amplified, but along those lines, yes, the analog output must always pass through the Main Output volume pot which acts as a signal attenuator. Turning the volume knob all the way up yields +0 dB (no attenuation).

Note that I'm speaking only of the 0404 USB. It is the only one of E-MU's interfaces with this volume knob. The other devices including the 0204 have regular line outputs but appear to require a computer in order to function.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #25 of 310
ppl have to keep in mind that specs are different from sound quality
Good bargain in terms of specs but nowhere in the same league as grace

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #26 of 310
Quote:
The signal is not amplified, but along those lines, yes, the analog output must always pass through the Main Output volume pot which acts as a signal attenuator. Turning the volume knob all the way up yields +0 dB (no attenuation).

Note that I'm speaking only of the 0404 USB. It is the only one of E-MU's interfaces with this volume knob. The other devices including the 0204 have regular line outputs but appear to require a computer in order to function.

Ah I see, so you just have to make sure the volume is maxed and it is essentially lineout? That would be no big deal for me. I if I got on of these it would be to have as a dac to another headphone amp.

Quote:
Endless 402

So you've heard both? What are your impressions of the two, how do they compare?

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #27 of 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah I see, so you just have to make sure the volume is maxed and it is essentially lineout? That would be no big deal for me. I if I got on of these it would be to have as a dac to another headphone amp.

Yes, that's correct. (Though if you are using a computer as your source, you might opt for the 0204 instead.)

Quote:
Endless 402

So you've heard both? What are your impressions of the two, how do they compare?"

I think he just meant that it's silly to compare a $129 device with a $1,795 device. One look inside E-MU's equipment shows that the parts are not exotic or boutique. However, for the price, they are tough to beat.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 310
In terms of a headphone amplifier/pre amp I wouldn't bother comparing, but if I am looking for a DAC alone from this, are the AK4396 considered poor DAC chips?

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 310
Quote:
In terms of a headphone amplifier/pre amp I wouldn't bother comparing, but if I am looking for a DAC alone from this, are the AK4396 considered poor DAC chips?

AKM AK4396 is one of AKM's flagship chips. It's not the bottleneck in this equipment. My comment about exotic/boutique components refers to the overall complexity of the design, quality and rating of capacitors, the use of op-amps versus discrete circuitry, the quality of those op-amps, etc. Is it worth 14 times the price to gain improvements in those areas? Only your wallet can decide.

Basically, the DAC chip used is an important factor in terms of the resulting sound quality, but it is nowhere near the only factor.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #30 of 310
I get you, thanks for the advice. Ultimately I don't have a large budget and my current DAC - FiiO E7 - is the weakest link and I do feel the need to replace it soon. Obviously this is not high end equipment, but within my current budget it looks like it could be a decent upgrade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back