E Mail virus, how to stop recving ??
Jun 24, 2003 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I have been getting the same e mail virus from the same person about three times a day, for the last several days. I tried blocking his address, but the e mails always show from somebody other than where they actually come from. Like the last one showed it was from "postmaster" as undeliverable message returned. The return path listed in properties shows the guy I know.
I have sent him a couple e-mails to tell him that he has this problem. I am sure glad that Norton is catching these things.

Is there anything else I can or should do?

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 5
sounds like a classic worm.
It sends out through his address book and the recipient's address book (if it gets through and infects).

What email program do you use?

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Chances are he's not really the one sending it. Most email viruses nowadays change the headers so that virus email looks like it's coming from somewhere else.

Jun 24, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Chances are he's not really the one sending it. Most email viruses nowadays change the headers so that virus email looks like it's coming from somewhere else.

Okay, when the message shows up in the inbox, it says it's from Postmaster or some other name I never heard of. But if I go and check properties from the menu at the top of Outlook Espress, it will show a return path. The return path indicates my friends address. So, is the return path also likely to be wrong?

Jun 24, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Many viruses find someone's email list in Outlook Express (or similiar programs for email) and send the virus forward from their computer to everyone on that list. Tell your friend; he probably has the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back