Dynamic range compression of classical music.

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by xenophon, Nov 24, 2014.
  1. TheSonicTruth

I, like many opponents of the loudness war, initially villainized the mastering engineers for overcompressed new releases and what was sold to the public as remasters. That was years ago, just as protesters of the Vietnam war blamed the returning soldiers for that. I have since matured and learned more about the recording business and who ultimately calls the shots. Sure, there are still a few engineers who talk the talk but don't walk the walk - some like to exclaim "Ignore the DR values and that man behind the glass, use your EARS!" but for the most part I think most engineers try to educate their clients on the compromises of overloudening, but in the end let the clients make the final call on how far to take it.

JaeYoon likes this.
  2. pinnahertz
    Very glad to hear that.

3. TheSonicTruth
    In my research I am finding that forums like GearSlutz and Steve Hoffman Forums are closing threads that discuss dynamic range, compression, or measurment of DR. Below is a link to such a thread. I'm not asking anybody to read every post, but just glance casually through and see if there's anything that might present a reason to have closed it:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/how-accurate-is-the-dr-meter.311627/

4. bfreedma
    The last post in that thread is over 4 years old. The thread may have been closed due to inactivity.

5. bigshot
    I think it's kind of funny to think that suggesting that someone listen to music with their own ears is bad advice. Most of what goes on in a tracking or mixing session is listening. At the end of a mix when there's final playback, the approval is based 100% on ears. I think some people who have never worked on music production have the idea that there is some machine that does it and humans just follow a recipe. The truth is that it's almost all careful listening, judgement calls and application of subjective taste. If audiophiles spent more time improving their subjective taste they would understand the process of recording and mixing music a lot better. They'd probably appreciate music more than equipment too.

6. gregorio
    Great, then you'll have the answer to a problem I came across a few years ago. I was trying to create clipping distortion (not for a music project but for a sound effect design), no matter what I tried, I simply could not find anyway to clip the sound. The problem is that pretty much all modern DAWs are 64bit float and seem to be impossible to clip, even deliberately! My solution in the end was to transfer the sound FX on to an old fixed point DAW, on which creating clipping distortion was relatively straight forward, although still took some effort. So if you know of a way to clip a current pro DAW (Pro Tools), I'd be much obliged if you could let me know how. Thanks.

Glad to hear there are still some people on GearSlutz who know what they're talking about! It's a very old (and very wise!) audio engineering cliche, which actually goes: "mix with your ears, not with your eyes". There is so much visual information (numbers) available to the mix engineer that it's very easy to be distracted/fooled by it and end up screwing up a mix or part of a mix. I've certainly fallen into this trap on occasion and there can't be a single experienced engineer who hasn't, hence why it's a cliche and why it's particularly important to drill it into newbs! I suspect, as is often the case in the audiophile world, that you've take actual facts and misinterpreted them or applied them out of context. Rather than jumping to ridiculous conclusions and then using those conclusions to assume engineers have no idea what they're doing, you should take pinnahertz's advice. Take a step back and question what you think you know rather than assume you know everything and that everyone else has no idea what they're talking about! In reality, no engineer would ever suggest actually ripping out all the meters, EQ, compression and other processor parameter displays, although doing so is sometimes a shockingly effective exercise when training less experienced engineers.

G

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. TheSonicTruth
    I'm just advocating the use of both!

8. pinnahertz
    I'm pretty sure there's no need, it's already being done and has been since the beginning of electrical recording around 1925. But that's only 92 years or so.

9. gregorio
    Who isn't? The point of the cliche is to emphasise the use of the ears in the creative/decision making process and only use visual stimuli (such as looking at a meter) to occasionally check.

Now, what about an answer to my first point/question?

G

10. TheSonicTruth
    How about asking me, since it didn't show up in my search of this thread.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017