Dynamic Headphones with Fairly Forward Vocals
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I have always been an IEM user, but I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with my computer and hifi system (so home use only). I'm willing to spend up to £800 ($1100 USD), but would prefer something around the £500 ($700 USD) area. I've been trying to find something which sounds dynamic rather than laid back and smooth, but also good for vocals. I like my vocals to be somewhat in front of the music, but not too in your face or "shouty".

I've demoed the following so far:

Grado SR325 - Nice bright and clear sound, but not enough bass (particularly sub-bass).

Audio Technica AD1000X, R70X and M70X - Vocals sounded nice, but the overall sound was a little lifeless and too balanced.

Beyerdynamic DT 8800 and DT 1990 PRO – Good bass and treble energy but vocals are too in line with the music and the midrange sounded “scooped”.

Any recommendations for other headphones I could try? I would say my favourites of the ones I have demoed are in order the DT 1990 PRO, DT 8800, the Grado and AD1000X, but I would like to avoid settling for one of them. Thanks in advance.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Audio Technica AD1000X, R70X and M70X - Vocals sounded nice, but the overall sound was a little lifeless and too balanced.
Agreed with this! A bit analytical.

Did you try Sennheiser before? Personally I like HD600 which some people find it a little clinical. If you are looking for something which is more lively, you can consider HD660s or HD700 :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 11
Generally agree, but the r70 isn't bad with lots of juice flowing. Thx00 might be a good fit, or might be shouty. Kind of rides the line. There's a couple of planars in the price range which handle vocals well. HE400i and Mr. Speaker Ethers are pretty solid about moving vocals up front. My Elex hasn't showed up yet, so I can't speak to it, but maybe HD6xx would be up your alley? If you want Bluetooth, PSB M4u8 might be an option.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 11
A $700ish headphone with awesome dynamics and vocals? The ZMF Blackwood is exactly that. I sound like a broken record since I keep recommending it, but of all the many headphones I've owned and listened to, it is one of the most impressive especially for the price. I recently reviewed it here at Head-Fi. You can spend a little more to get the ZMF Ori, which is a semi-open back version. Even though the Blackwood is closed, it doesn't really sound like it. Plug one or two bass ports and these will have excellent dynamics (they are not dark/laid back at all).

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmf-blackwood.20484/reviews#review-20172

You might like the Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-2F too. The LCD-2C is darker, but the vocals and bass and mids might win you over. The LCD-2F is more neutral sounding, might be more to your taste.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Have you tried the AKG K712?

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 11
A $700ish headphone with awesome dynamics and vocals? The ZMF Blackwood is exactly that. I sound like a broken record since I keep recommending it, but of all the many headphones I've owned and listened to, it is one of the most impressive especially for the price. I recently reviewed it here at Head-Fi. You can spend a little more to get the ZMF Ori, which is a semi-open back version. Even though the Blackwood is closed, it doesn't really sound like it. Plug one or two bass ports and these will have excellent dynamics (they are not dark/laid back at all).

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmf-blackwood.20484/reviews#review-20172

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't demo the Blackwood and so I have written to ZMF for more information.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm going to try and demo the AKG 712, Hifiman HE400i and either the Sennheiser HD660s or HD700 (I can't demo most of the other suggestions). Will any of these sound decent straight out of my hifi system or computer without an amp? I would prefer not to invest in an amp as well.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 11
Let your ears decide, but these are all high quality headphones that will improve as you improve your setup.

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't demo the Blackwood and so I have written to ZMF for more information.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm going to try and demo the AKG 712, Hifiman HE400i and either the Sennheiser HD660s or HD700 (I can't demo most of the other suggestions). Will any of these sound decent straight out of my hifi system or computer without an amp? I would prefer not to invest in an amp as well.

Everything I recommended definitely needs an amp but nothing insane. There's a good chance they would sound weak and always very quiet straight out of your computer.

May 10, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 11
I very briefly tried Hifiman sundara the other day. Liked the way sundara presented vocals better than
the other headphones I tried (HD800S, LCD-2C, Hifiman Edition X v2). However, I found the soundstage
of the sundara too narrow to be an upgrade from my Grado 325i - which I agree lacks bass. The sundara
costs $499.

May 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 11
There is almost always a trade off on headphones. Very few I have heard do everything right. The more you spend the more they get right from my experience not always but pretty close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back