Dynahi driving speakers!!!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by rsaavedra, Mar 25, 2007.
Page 1 of 4
2 3 4
Next

Last
  1. rsaavedra
    While doing some wiring mods to the Alps blue pot in my Dynahi I took some time to build a cable that I have wanted for a while: one has a headphone plug on one end, but then four cables coming out in pairs, one for one speaker, and one for another. A cable to drive not headphones but speakers, with my Dynahi.

Here's a pic showing my open Dynahi, and the cable plugged in. The cable ended up a bit ugly [​IMG], but this was a quick DIY thing, I was just curious to listen to some speakers with the Dynahi:

[​IMG]

Plugged my Paradigm Atoms at the other ends of this cable, and my Dynahi has been powering them now for about 20 minutes. Wow!!! The Dynahi is certainly a powerful amp. I have the Alps blue right now between 1 and 2 o'clock (somewhere near 0.6 of max volume), the little Atoms are singing powerfully in my apartment, pure class A sound in my speakers for the first time!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At that volume setting of the pot (about 1 o'clock) I'm measuring 83-87 dB at about 10 feet from the speakers, playing different songs from Tool's Lateralus. Sounding really great!

2. kramer5150
    Does the S/N performance drop pushing 8 ohm loads?

3. rsaavedra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Does the S/N performance drop pushing 8 ohm loads?

Not really sure, I can't tell, but it sounds really very nice. Maybe Dr. Gilmore can make a statement about that. I can say that pausing the player and sending the volume to Max I hear absolutely no hiss or shhhh noise whatsoever having my ears right next to the speakers; really clean sound.

Right now listening to Jane Monheit, excellent!

4. rsaavedra
    One other thing, recently I improved the heatsinking in my Dynahi, but even putting that aside, it seems to me the Dynahi gets less hot driving the speakers than driving the headphones. [​IMG] Not an issue at all, but pretty interesting.

5. rsaavedra
    With respect to driving 8 ohms, I just searched Gilmore's original post about the Dynahi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...27&postcount=1

He indicates there that it can certainly drive anything >8 ohms. I remember that a number of times he indicated the Dynahi could drive speakers comfortably, and that's why I tried to listen to speakers with it. I'm not aware of whether there is any trade-off in SQ or S/N ratio when approaching such low impedance loads, and by listening to it with speakers I would tend to say there is no such compromise.

6. cotdt
    It's been measured by amb I think, and the results for 8 ohms were very good. If the heat isn't an issue, maybe you can even try 4 ohm speakers. For speakers, why don't you use a Dynamight instead? It will have more power...

It's a very good amp! Very universal as well!

7. n_maher Contributor
    Couple of points:

1. According to amb's measurement the only measurement to really suffer as a result of the dynahi driving 8omh loads was stereo crosstalk. See his extensive measurements here.

2. If you drive your speakers for long periods of time I would watch the power supply temp more than the amp. I would not expect that driving them at moderate volumes would present much of a problem but it's still worth monitoring.

I can't wait to add the speaker outputs to my β22!

8. rsaavedra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    2. If you drive your speakers for long periods of time I would watch the power supply temp more than the amp. I would not expect that driving them at moderate volumes would present much of a problem but it's still worth monitoring.

Power supply seems similarly warm as always when driving headphones. This is after more than an hour playing continuously driving the Atoms. And that is at volumes slightly above moderate levels, they are playing loud really.

Will check Amb's thread, didn't know about it. Thanks cotdt and n_maher.

Edit: that Dynahi build by Amb is awesome!

9. rsaavedra
    Right now playing Perfect Cicle's The Package, at 3 o'clock volume. This is LOUD people. And Wow, the bass from the little Atom's... Man! (there should be some room gain for the bass from my apartment, but still)

10. rsaavedra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I can't wait to add the speaker outputs to my β22!

Hmm now I'm seriously thinking whether I should add speaker outputs to my Dynahi box. Didn't plan room for it though, maybe I'll just use this cable and one of the headphone outs for speaker use.

But one other thing I'm certainly going to do now, a switchbox for speaker wires. Two inputs, just one output, 12 speaker posts in total on the little box, and two switches, one per channel. Will use it to be able to drive my front speakers (Paradigm Titans) either with my Marantz A/V receiver for Home Theater, or with my Dynahi for a purist stereo system [​IMG]

11. Thelonious Monk
    i will keep this in mind if i ever get into DIY amps. you should hit kg up in pm and ask him about potential problems, because it wouldn't be nice to ruin nice Paradigms.

12. rsaavedra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    i will keep this in mind if i ever get into DIY amps. you should hit kg up in pm and ask him about potential problems, because it wouldn't be nice to ruin nice Paradigms.

Will do tell him about this, thanks Thelonious. In fact I'll email him now.

Don't think there would be problems with the speakers though. After a pause of about an hour, the Atoms have been singing for about another hour now. Playing "Brothers in Arms" right now. But you never know, so I'll check with KG just in case.

13. amb
    While the Dynahi amp itself should have little trouble driving speakers, the Dynahi power supply will be a current bottleneck. Be careful not to blow out your OPA541s even though it has current limiting. This is especially true for low efficiency speakers with low-ish impedance.

14. Balisarda
    I can't express how much I admire you DIYers! You and AMB building those amps, fiddling with the wiring, modding, upgrading, diagnosing, repairing. Gosh! I wouldn't even know where to start!

15. rsaavedra
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    While the Dynahi amp itself should have little trouble driving speakers, the Dynahi power supply will be a current bottleneck. Be careful not to blow out your OPA541s even though it has current limiting. This is especially true for low efficiency speakers with low-ish impedance.

Ah but one thing Amb, my Dynahi is powered by Condor power supplies. Not sure if they have that same component you mentioned, or if they have a similar limitation though. But to the touch mine seems to warm up driving speakers pretty much like when driving headphones. Here's a couple of pics of my Dynahi's power supplies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a view of the Condors from the top (an old pic, my current enclosure didn't need that aluminum angle holding them together) :
    [​IMG]

The model is Condor HC28-2-A+, rated for 2 Amps each. Here's the spec sheet, in case it helps. That pdf includes all of Condor's linear models including that one.

Page 1 of 4
2 3 4
Next

Last