Dyanmic headphones vs. electrostats
May 17, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #16 of 27
With regard to amps that can drive electrostat headphones, is it true that electrostats need dedicated amps? Will the everyday amps, Gilmore, Emmeline, Headroom, etc., work with electrostat headphones?

May 17, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 27
No, they can't the principle on which both work is not even similar...

May 17, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 27
The Stax line is considerably more diverse than the lordly Omega II and its various amps.

Ampgalore, go look at this review of the Classic system. You don't have to sell your car to enjoy the benefits of electrostatics.

As far as the question of Stax bass and soundstage, I'd suggest you do a search and see what Stax owners have had to say. I don't find them to be lacking in either area.
lambda.gif

BW

May 17, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 27
Wow! That was a fantastic review! And looking at the pics, I had no idea the Stax amp can be so huge.

Alright, my mind is made up, for my next upgrade, instead of going for the CD3000, I am saving up for a stax system. Now what should I do with my dynamic headphone amps I just purchased? Amp liquidation sale to soon follow...

May 17, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Alright, my mind is made up, for my next upgrade, instead of going for the CD3000, I am saving up for a stax system. Now what should I do with my dynamic headphone amps I just purchased? Amp liquidation sale to soon follow...

Dont be so hasty in your decision.
wink.gif
There are a lot of people here that prefer dynamic headphones over the Stats. Just wait awhile, the dynamic lovers will surely give out their two cents on this issue
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
sorry if this is ultra-n00b, but what exactly are "dynamic" headphones? i've heard the term MANY times, but what does it actually mean, and what is it in compared to electrostatic?

'Dynamic' means 'magnetic'.

May 17, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I currently have the HD600 and ER4S. I would like my next upgrade to be a substantial upgrade instead of an incremental upgrade.

It all depends on your audio priorities and what kind of sound you prefer. Depending on what you're looking for it may be just an incremental upgrade. Know what you want in a headphone or other piece of equipment before you blow the dough.

May 17, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Wow! That was a fantastic review! And looking at the pics, I had no idea the Stax amp can be so huge.

It is probably worth doing it a bit at a time, otherwise you may get disappointed. As the Stax phones are all very detailed and revealing, I found that the source matters a lot to the sound. If you have lower quality sources you could be unsatisfied with the system sound quality after you get the Stax.

To get a sense of the Stax sound, you could find an used older model to try it out. Even the old mid-level product SR-34 carries the typical Stax sound: a very transparent and at-ease sound when driven properly. Often you can find one under $100, try it and compare it with the dynamic headphones and see how you like it before you dive into purchasing expensive versions.

Happy listening,
W

May 17, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

good answer, very wise choice.

I have a Stax system and I love it. I wrote a review on it as well, check it out if you haven't already.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71611

May 17, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 27
You'll likely not go wrong with a good Stax setup. Just make sure you listen to the system before you lay down the long green.

If it matters, I love my system, the best I've ever heard. However you'll never have the exact same setup as mine, so my opinion is probably worthless to you.

tongue.gif

May 17, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 27
I have an old pair of Stax Sigma's. The webbing outside of the insulation has fallen apart, but they are otherwise in good shape. I have a passive step-up transformer that hooks up to an amp with speaker wire. I have not used it in many years. Does anyone refurbish the webbing? Are there any inexpensive ampt that will work with it? Any thoughts appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back