DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Aug 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #7,936 of 14,084
  i totally forgot about the gain setting at all. speaking of which, is there a general guideline for what gain to use? earlier i was listening to it (without realizing) on low gain at about 198 and that seemed great. currently i'm using the zero audio tenores which have a 16ohm impedance and 102db/1mw sensitivity.

i listen to the dx90 straight out to k812's, low gain.  i tried the higher gain settings and found i lost separation on the higher settings.  my ears, my 'phones, of course.  i'd be interested in hearing others' experiences experimenting with the gain settings.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #7,937 of 14,084
Hi, i'm planning on buying the dx90. Can you guys suggest iems that are most suitable with it? My budget is anything under$400. I'd love to get iems with detachable cable and a low-profile fit so i can lie down on 1 side while listening to music.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #7,938 of 14,084
Hi, i'm planning on buying the dx90. Can you guys suggest iems that are most suitable with it? My budget is anything under$400. I'd love to get iems with detachable cable and a low-profile fit so i can lie down on 1 side while listening to music.

I am using Westone W40's that meet your requirements and can be found for around $400. There are also the W30's as well that are cheaper but the W40's have a better bottom end. They come with two cables (iDevice and straight) and totally fit within my ears. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #7,939 of 14,084
I am using Westone W40's that meet your requirements and can be found for around $400. There are also the W30's as well that are cheaper but the W40's have a better bottom end. They come with two cables (iDevice and straight) and totally fit within my ears. 

Just be aware that the cable on the Westones use a different plug to attach to the ear pieces than the one used by many of the other suppliers (a coax looking one as opposed to the two pin one)

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #7,943 of 14,084
On Amazon the W40 are only 40 pounds dearer than the 535.
yes, but the shure se535 is available on ebay in used condition and i can get it at 200 pounds, which is a pretty good deal.
By the way, i want a natural and musical sounding earphone, but with a good amount of detail. I'm sensitive to sibilance also. Something that sounds similar to the momentum over ear to be specific. Do you have any suggestion?

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #7,945 of 14,084
I'm new to IEMs so I was wondering as far as sound quality goes, would an entry level CIEM, such as the JH5 Pros give better sound quality than the Westone W40?

I really suggest you read reviews and see what you like. It doesn't really matter which is "better", it's what you like.

For me, I enjoy my 1964 ears v6 much more than my se535 ltd.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #7,946 of 14,084
yes, but the shure se535 is available on ebay in used condition and i can get it at 200 pounds, which is a pretty good deal.
By the way, i want a natural and musical sounding earphone, but with a good amount of detail. I'm sensitive to sibilance also. Something that sounds similar to the momentum over ear to be specific. Do you have any suggestion?

I'm new to IEMs so I was wondering as far as sound quality goes, would an entry level CIEM, such as the JH5 Pros give better sound quality than the Westone W40?

I really suggest you read reviews and see what you like. It doesn't really matter which is "better", it's what you like.

For me, I enjoy my 1964 ears v6 much more than my se535 ltd.

Yeah I agree with bobby12, it's not matter of which is "better" is which is suitable for you
I have the 535ltd it's vocal shine brightly whereas the high is lack
Tested few times with W40 high is clearly upper hand to 535ltd
I'm not sure about the 1964 Ears V6 but for the price of a CIEM I think they are really worth it, I might get it in the future
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,947 of 14,084
How do you guys think about audio technica ath im03? Or shure se535?
Westone in the UK is very expensive.

Not familiar with the ATH but the se535 is bigger than the W series and for me they would not meet your laying down requirement.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #7,948 of 14,084
I received my new audio gear this week, the DX90 and the AKG K702, and am no longer worried about whether the DX90 is powerful enough to drive the 702s. I think it drives them quite well. The main complaint I read about the 702s is the lack of a strong low end, but I feel like the 702s and DX90 paired together have just enough low end for my tastes.  I will admit I don't really have anything to compare them to since I haven't been able to run the 702 through another amp, but I soon plan to try it out on a friend's amp and will determine whether it's enough of a difference to invest in an external amp for it.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #7,949 of 14,084
Okay after seeing the current price on the dx90 (Amazon $359 prostudio sound & music, which is an authorized dealer (btw when did iBasso start authorized dealers?))which makes it almost the same price as the 5, I decided to hop back on the bandwagon and try out the new firmware.

I also ordered a new set of cables for my 13fp's from Noble (it is the improved Magnus) the price? How about an extraordinary $40 US shipped, if anyone remember Heir sells the Magnus for 150 IIRC. 110 dollars less for an improved cable. Scroll to the bottom of this link.

Now the wait for both to come in, prime makes the wait a lot less for the dx90.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,950 of 14,084
In Denmark there has been an authorized iBasso reseller for near 5 years now but due to mark up, taxes and having to comply with Danish warranty rules their prices are more than twice of buying directly from iBasso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back