DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #6,331 of 14,084
geagle, Thanks a lot for the info! I was refraining from asking this for a long time, anyhow your description was very accurate and informative.

PS. Opening it wasn't as difficult as putting it back properly. It still sticks out a little at the top :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #6,332 of 14,084
Yep, getting it to close properly is near impossible

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #6,333 of 14,084
  Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for quite a while and decided to finally register and post. Thanks to all for the wonderful advice given in this very long but very helpful thread. I've purchased the DX90 and I'm delighted with it.

I have a question regarding an IEM pairing with the DX90. I have three on my short list:

1) Grado GR10
2) NuForce Primo 8
3) Westone W40

I'd like to purchase an IEM for wear while on the go with the DX90. My main headphones are currently the Grado RS-1i, and I love the Grado sound. I listen to about 80% classical music and 20% classic rock/folk/etc. My budget for this item is about US$500 or so, but I'd be willing to go a little higher for something truly earth-shattering.

I've always used over-ear headphones and I've never purchased an IEM, so this will be a new experience for me. Thanks in advance for your help!  :)

Difficult to go wrong there. I'm not a W40 fan but it's a personal sig preference and do think it's a quality competitive device. If you get the GR10, they need strenuous run in. Others to consider are the Noble 4 or a custom like the JH5.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,334 of 14,084
  Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for quite a while and decided to finally register and post. Thanks to all for the wonderful advice given in this very long but very helpful thread. I've purchased the DX90 and I'm delighted with it.

I have a question regarding an IEM pairing with the DX90. I have three on my short list:

1) Grado GR10
2) NuForce Primo 8
3) Westone W40

I'd like to purchase an IEM for wear while on the go with the DX90. My main headphones are currently the Grado RS-1i, and I love the Grado sound. I listen to about 80% classical music and 20% classic rock/folk/etc. My budget for this item is about US$500 or so, but I'd be willing to go a little higher for something truly earth-shattering.

I've always used over-ear headphones and I've never purchased an IEM, so this will be a new experience for me. Thanks in advance for your help!  :)

I'm also looking for a good universal IEM with the DX90 since I sold my SE535's (didn't like the synergy with he DX50) earlier...

Other options in the same price category are:
DN2000
JVC FX850
Earsonics SM64

I also used the DX90 most of the time with full size cans. Mostly the Grado PS500 and sometimes with the GS1000. But a few days ago I bought/received a LCD2 from a fellow headfi-er & now there's no way back...with the BH2 inbetween & the EQ on with some extra hights added it sounds like nothing I ever heard before...everything is there!

For IEM's it's probably gonna be the Dunu's or the Earsonics for me...still in doubt, but I'm not in a hurry.

Goodluck with making your right choice!
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6,335 of 14,084

Difficult to go wrong there. I'm not a W40 fan but it's a personal sig preference and do think it's a quality competitive device. If you get the GR10, they need strenuous run in. Others to consider are the Noble 4 or a custom like the JH5.

i just pulled the trigger on W40s after going round in circles for a week on forums.. There are no places to try them out near me... What did you dislike about them? 

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #6,336 of 14,084
Just got a new Samsung OEM battery, made in Korea. Swapped out the stock Pisen battery and what a surprise! Noticed an immediate difference (using IE800's btw). The Pisen sounded bass-heavy and muddy compared to the Samsung. The sound opened up with the Samsung - maybe almost too bright, but that may have been simply due to the contrast with the Pisen. I want to play with this some more and also do some comparisons with the Anker batteries that I have as well. I was very skeptical of any effect of different batteries on SQ before trying this, but the difference was more than subtle. Who would've guessed!

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #6,341 of 14,084
Just got a new Samsung OEM battery, made in Korea. Swapped out the stock Pisen battery and what a surprise! Noticed an immediate difference (using IE800's btw). The Pisen sounded bass-heavy and muddy compared to the Samsung. The sound opened up with the Samsung - maybe almost too bright, but that may have been simply due to the contrast with the Pisen. I want to play with this some more and also do some comparisons with the Anker batteries that I have as well. I was very skeptical of any effect of different batteries on SQ before trying this, but the difference was more than subtle. Who would've guessed!

Sounds perfect to me. I've always said the player leans warm.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #6,343 of 14,084
All a matter of taste, I suppose, I love the sound of W40 with DX90! :)

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6,345 of 14,084
Hey guys, has anyone tried using the USB OTG of this player to connect to a dedicated portable amp and does it work?

OTG is for connecting a USB storage device. An external amp you connect via line out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back