DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #5,206 of 14,084

I feel with the latest DAPs the SQ difference will be very subtle and only by nitpicking will you get any difference. Perhaps it's time to turn my attention to headphone mods where the difference will no doubt be substantial either positive or negative.
L3000.gif

That's actually my next step, I already reached the maximum I can get through my phones, mods for them isn't gonna bring much so I am going to have to swallow the incoming costs of new pairs. You are right though the DX90 as such is a very good player with its current architecture and setup so to squeeze a few drops of SQ we'll have to move to the next audiophile step, that means better phones, more money, a thinner wallet and hopefully a grinner smile on one's face when achieved. :)

The slow roll-off has been so much talked about on the DX50 thread and I know that it would have improved the soundstage, in fact I though the 1.2.3beta was released with the slow roll-off on, just to get it removed when rolling the final update but no options to select it like this upgrade.

This is what ESS advertised on their DAC literature:

OVERSAMPLING FILTER: Fast/Slow roll-off (PCM), it's very similar to the features provided by the WS8740 DAC.

May 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #5,207 of 14,084
Actually I haven't even had a chance to listen to the new firmware so I'm not making a judgement on that.

I just don't like the idea of changing something as subjective as a sound sig with every bug fix/ UI improvement.

That must be your first DX?? dap, same deal with the DX50, you might have to stay at that firmware level forever as the next ones will most likely affect the sound like its DX50 brother.
wink.gif

May 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,208 of 14,084

That's actually my next step, I already reached the maximum I can get through my phones, mods for them isn't gonna bring much so I am going to have to swallow the incoming costs of new pairs. You are right though the DX90 as such is a very good player with its current architecture and setup so to squeeze a few drops of SQ we'll have to move to the next audiophile step, that means better phones, more money, a thinner wallet and hopefully a grinner smile on one's face when achieved. :)

The slow roll-off has been so much talked about on the DX50 thread and I know that it would have improved the soundstage, in fact I though the 1.2.3beta was released with the slow roll-off on, just to get it removed when rolling the final update but no options to select it like this upgrade.

This is what ESS advertised on their DAC literature:

OVERSAMPLING FILTER: Fast/Slow roll-off (PCM), it's very similar to the features provided by the WS8740 DAC.

I think the DOC is working on adding the features of the latest DX90 FW to DX50. It's definitely worth a try then. I can't seem to find if there is a similar option in RB though.

May 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,209 of 14,084
Scrolling, sensitivity is really improved, together with quicker response of the physical buttons. Though I have never encountered the 2 second drops on each track yet on the new FW I hope it's truly resolved. Too bad the USB DAC is only avaiable for 32-bit Windows. I hope iBasso make it available on Macs as well. Then DX90 is my perfect DAP.

May 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #5,210 of 14,084
All the UI changes are great. But the sq with fw 2.0.5 really has become dull and flat. So I changed back to fw 2.0.0 and (like others) wrote an e-mail to iBasso and asked them to keep all the great UI changes but with the great sq of fw.2.0.0. Let's hope they'll listen to our request.  

May 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #5,211 of 14,084
  All the UI changes are great. But the sq with fw 2.0.5 really has become dull and flat. So I changed back to fw 2.0.0 and (like others) wrote an e-mail to iBasso and asked them to keep all the great UI changes but with the great sq of fw.2.0.0. Let's hope they'll listen to our request.  

Did you try the slow roll off option in the New Digital filter menu? It defaults on sharp roll-off  and is somewhat flat as you mentioned.

May 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,212 of 14,084
There is so much truth about don't learn from the past and you are bound to commit the same mistakes. We have done that with the DX50 and it has never worked. I am not sure those guys have much control over the firmware sound signature, at least that is what they told us but by all means if you feel you can get them to do it go ahead.

I think the DOC is working on adding the features of the latest DX90 FW to DX50. It's definitely worth a try then. I can't seem to find if there is a similar option in RB though.

I'd be very surprised it exists, it is a hardware based feature controllable through the firmware interface. It would require that they know about the ESS filter programming API.

May 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #5,214 of 14,084

Did you try the slow roll off option in the New Digital filter menu? It defaults on sharp roll-off  and is somewhat flat as you mentioned.

Yes I tried. But (at least to my ears) there's no noticeable change. After putiing it back to fw. 2.0.0 all the sparkling sounds are there, but not with fw.2.0.5. But the UI changes they made in 2.0.5 are great so my compliments to iBasso for that effort. 

May 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #5,216 of 14,084
Can't help to be cynical, iBasso has always put out a forward firmware change just to have people back out of if and wait for the next release, so it's more one step forward, one step back then forward again, really feels like a good waltz.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back