DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 2, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #4,441 of 14,084

Just quickly did some calculations using an excel sheet from http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

Please correct me if my maths/use of specifications are wrong (DT880 600ohm + DX90 on High gain)

Seems like at maximum power from DX90, we can acheive 107dBSPL on the DT880 600ohm?

That is correct if we assumed @ 600Ohm load the DX90 has constant voltage of 2.8V which iBasso rated as maximum output V at 32 Ohm load.

Still that is the maximum level (theoretical) you can get for DT880. If you are used to listening at very low volume level maybe that will be ok but it will definitely not enough for music with high dynamic range like classical or some acoustics. Soft passages might not be audible and pop/rock music might sound anemic.

I have a Beyerdynamic T1 which @ 102 dB/W plays very loud for most of the music I tried. My volume range starts from 240 all the way to 255. I usually listen at a slightly louder than usual volume (at least compared to a few of my friends listening to the same tracks). However, for classical music, it stays at 255. Which for me is just enough.

You can shoot a mail to iBasso just to confirm the max voltage/power DX90 can put out for a 600 Ohm load.

Just received my dt880. I'm using it on high gain and 190-220 volume levels.. And I find that's loud enough.. Wouldn't 240-255 cause some hearing dmg no?

It seems like line out at 220 is also good enough in terms of volume.

Finding that Dt880 is really unforgiving to poor records.. Put that together with dx90's separation and clarity.. Some of the tracks I got.. Let's just say they won't be listened to regularly.. Have to say the dt880 live up to the credits people have given it in classical music, quite magical.

May 2, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #4,442 of 14,084
Just received my dt880. I'm using it on high gain and 190-220 volume levels.. And I find that's loud enough.. Wouldn't 240-255 cause some hearing dmg no?

Finding that Dt880 is really unforgiving to poor records.. Put that together with dx90's separation and clarity.. Some of the tracks I got.. Let's just say they won't be listened to regularly.. Have to say the dt880 live up to the credits people have given it in classical music, quite magical.

All good then, like I said I do listen at higher than usual volume.

May 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,444 of 14,084
Mine is real tight also. I took a really thin knife edge and very carefully got it between the body and the back and opened it about 1/8 of an inch. At least you know it won't come off when you don't want it to. :^) The edge could mar the back though so another way is to use some velcro to the back and on another surface and use that to open it by pulling it open towards the end and then lifting it off.  

It's the other way around for me. I got no problem taking the backplate off. I just pressed on the backplate with my thumb firmly but not very hard and it slide off easily wih a firm push. However, when putting it back on, it won't go all the way and stuck at 1/8 inch of a gap. No matter how hard I push with my thumb it won't budge. I had to push it aginst the wall to completely shut it close. I tried it the 2nd time and it's the same. I examine the edges of the plate and compared it to my DX50 but I can't see any noticeable difference.

Maybe it's just too tight by a hair.

There is a different between the DX50 n dx90 back. There is a layer of tape near the bottom part which make the Dx90 back plate tighter

May 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #4,447 of 14,084
Can anybody point out a definitely better battery that can be used with its original back cover?

HERE is one that has served me well in both my DX50 and DX90.

May 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #4,448 of 14,084
Just to inform you all what iBasso wrote to me today:

"Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We have addressed the scan bug.  A new DX90 firmware will be releaesd around May 15th.
Also, the first version Windows USB-DAC driver will be released before May 15th.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

Let's wait & see...

May 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,449 of 14,084
Just to inform you all what iBasso wrote to me today:

"Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We have addressed the scan bug.  A new DX90 firmware will be releaesd around May 15th.
Also, the first version Windows USB-DAC driver will be released before May 15th.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

Let's wait & see...

Thanks for that! Yeah, let's wait and see...

Philip, it's great that you received your new DT-880/600-ohm cans before the weekend and seem to be impressed. You definitely got a good deal. :) I'm sure that they are a step up from my 250-ohm version and probably don't require the crazy EQ adjustments that I did, LOL. Enjoy!

May 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4,450 of 14,084
As it doesn't ship to Turkey, anybody to buy and send me that http://www.ebay.com/itm/170923067188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Will pay him / her in advance.

May 2, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4,451 of 14,084
Thanks for that! Yeah, let's wait and see...
Philip, it's great that you received your new DT-880/600-ohm cans before the weekend and seem to be impressed. You definitely got a good deal.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure that they are a step up from my 250-ohm version and probably don't require the crazy EQ adjustments that I did, LOL. Enjoy!

Hey bbfoto!

Thank you again for the kind PMs :) 

Yes, I am running the DT880 600ohms with EQ off and I think its decent!
But I start to hear some static like noise at the beginning of some recordings, in addition to hearing the pedalling sound of piano pieces... 
putting dx90 with dt880 600 ohm together = no chance on missing problems in mastering.. (I am pretty sure it's not defective headphones since it only come up on certain tracks, and the noise is consistent and identical all the time) :)

I can't wait till the DX90 and DT880 burn in more as I use them more.. (btw, top of the world from carpenters sounds so amazing with this setup...)

May 2, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #4,452 of 14,084
  Out of my curiosity, since the ES9018K2M native DSD decoding, why iBasso did not implement it on DX90.
It's a hardware limitation or it is on future firmware upgrade road map.

It requires addition hardware, that the DX90 doesn't have. So the DX90 will convert DSD to PCM 24/88. Still sounds very good to my ears. I can play the DSD as DoP from my MacBook Pro to the Hugo or DSD converted and coax out by the DX90. I don't hear much difference. Will listen and compare more though as I want DSD to be supreme played out natively, which DoP ends up being. Will be getting more DSD in the very near future to listen and compare to. 

---------------------------

I started using the 3250mA battery HiFlight has recommended. At first it was going down pretty fast and I thought, "this isn't any better". Then I realized I was using the coax out and I had left the burn in adapter in so it was driving both. Now with the adapter out, the battery bars have stayed the same for some time. Will get a better feel for how long the battery last after a few charges but looking good so far. Had it doing double duty while on hi resolution so it is also doing more work with higher res as well. 

May 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4,453 of 14,084

Hey bbfoto!

Thank you again for the kind PMs :) 

Yes, I am running the DT880 600ohms with EQ off and I think its decent!
But I start to hear some static like noise at the beginning of some recordings, in addition to hearing the pedalling sound of piano pieces... 
putting dx90 with dt880 600 ohm together = no chance on missing problems in mastering.. (I am pretty sure it's not defective headphones since it only come up on certain tracks, and the noise is consistent and identical all the time) :)

I can't wait till the DX90 and DT880 burn in more as I use them more.. (btw, top of the world from carpenters sounds so amazing with this setup...)

Hey Philip, no problem. :)

So this static sound...is this when you play files that you have Rip'd from your CDs, or are these downloaded files (from a commercial, reputable source)?  Or does it seem to be static that is being produced by the DX90?  ...possibly when you play a certain file type and bit rate/bit depth?  Or are you just noticing the "tape hiss" that is more noticeable at the beginning of some recordings due to the detail retrieval of the DT-880's?

I'm interested as I have not had a problem with the playback on any of my files, no matter what file format or bit rate & bit depth, even .dsf (DSD) files.  I've had some "static" noise in CD rips that had errors due to scratched discs, read errors, etc, but since you always hear it at the beginning of your tracks, it doesn't seem like that would be the problem?  Hope you figure it out and it isn't too annoying.

Oh...thanks for the tip on the Carpenter's track...I'll check it out!  As always, I will recommend the Steph Johnson Trio "Nature Girl" album (my avatar)...beautifully recorded and amazing talent IMHO.

Thanks again.

BB

May 2, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #4,454 of 14,084

Hey Philip, no problem. :)

So this static sound...is this when you play files that you have Rip'd from your CDs, or are these downloaded files (from a commercial, reputable source)?  Or does it seem to be static that is being produced by the DX90?  ...possibly when you play a certain file type and bit rate/bit depth?  Or are you just noticing the "tape hiss" that is more noticeable at the beginning of some recordings due to the detail retrieval of the DT-880's?

I'm interested as I have not had a problem with the playback on any of my files, no matter what file format or bit rate & bit depth, even .dsf (DSD) files.  I've had some "static" noise in CD rips that had errors due to scratched discs, read errors, etc, but since you always hear it at the beginning of your tracks, it doesn't seem like that would be the problem?  Hope you figure it out and it isn't too annoying.

Oh...thanks for the tip on the Carpenter's track...I'll check it out!  As always, I will recommend the Steph Johnson Trio "Nature Girl" album (my avatar)...beautifully recorded and amazing talent IMHO.

Thanks again.

BB

Downloaded files from relatively reputable source (I think)!
The static isn't from the DX90 because there were not really any noticeable static from my K545.

It is definitely a little "crumble" static sound rather than tape hiss

(EDIT: but in some, there were some tape hiss/crackly noise for sure, but they sound different to the specific crumble sound eg. in Academy of St. Martin in the Field playing some Handel pieces, quite a bit of tape hiss/crackly noise, presumably difficult to avoid in this type of orchestral recording)

Most of my music are 16bit 44.1khz ALAC, with a rare few 24bit 96khz..

I am now sort of assuming that it is the DT880 600ohm picking up more details from the not so perfect original files? 
Could you get noise if headphones are not properly powered by the source? (ie. in this case, the DX90)

May 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,455 of 14,084
So mine has a good amount of time on it now and it seemed to turn a corner last night. More texture and lost some minor glass it had. It does take a while to become what it can be. I hope it only continues to get better from here as it hasn't been a linear progression. This is a unit that you should really give some time to before coming to a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back