DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4,156 of 14,084
OK, I've had my DX90 for a few days. I bought a cheap no name 128 micro SD card off of ebay...I know, I know. Big mistake! It had multiple read errors on my PC and was freezing in the player. I ordered a 64GB Transcend and have not had one issue with it. All my ALAC songs copied over to the card by drag and drop. They all show up fine on the player...sound awesome, no more EQ issue, and everything is running smooth. In short, don't get a cheap card or you may have numerous problems. I had four or five major problems, that appear to all be caused by the cheap micro SD card.

I'm really loving this player. So far, using it mostly with UE Triple-Fi, but will hopefully be using my full size cans soon as well.

Any hiss with the UE Triple-Fis?

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4,157 of 14,084

Thanks!.  Sounds good.  After I posted I went to youtube and found a video about using Scotch tape to remove dust, and it worked great.  I had no clue that most of the bubbles were dust rather than air.  Now the iBasso protector is looking good enough for me.

I am glad it worked out for you :)

On a side note, I just realized I can no longer go back to my old Pc's built in soundcard.... the music is not magical... damn you DX90 spoiling my ears 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,160 of 14,084
  I bought a cheap no name 128 micro SD card off of ebay...I know, I know. Big mistake! It had multiple read errors on my PC and was freezing in the player. I ordered a 64GB Transcend and have not had one issue with it. All my ALAC songs copied over to the card by drag and drop. They all show up fine on the player...sound awesome, no more EQ issue, and everything is running smooth. In short, don't get a cheap card or you may have numerous problems. I had four or five major problems, that appear to all be caused by the cheap micro SD card.

I can get a refund and send it back.
Nothing worse than transferring 128gb of music and not being able to use it.
Is there a chance it might work tho?
Or best, wait for the Sansa 128gb?

There is probably a chance it could work. The Ebay seller actually had positive reviews on the card. However, the same cards on Amazon all have like one to two star reviews. I was able to copy some songs to the cheap card, but after the first few folders with songs copied, the rest of the folders would copy, but no songs would be in them. And then, when I would put the card back into the computer, Windows would want to check it for errors. Having the card in the DX90, the card was freezing up or all of a sudden, wouldn't read anymore, and I would have to take it out and re-insert it.

That's just my experience. It's possible that the cheap ones may work too. Try it and see. I ended up sending mine back for a refund and bought a 64GB one to get me by til I can get the Sandisk 128GB for a better price.

CLUE: "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."  Or....ALL Chinese 128GB Micro Sd Cards on eBay are fake. especially the the 'no-name' blue and white packaged ones. The only legit 128GB maker so far is SanDisk (see Amazon).

Always test newly purchased SD cards (even SanDisk) with the following FREE memory tester app. If it doesn't pass: it's fake, no if ands or buts.

H2TESTW

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #4,162 of 14,084
Hello fellow head-fiers,
I was hoping for some help in determining if my problem can be fixed with an addition of something portable or if I am stuck with the sound signature of the DX90. I have been listening to a pair of Fostex TH600's on my gaming PC "without" an amp or dac and have been blown away by the full and deep bass along with the clarity, separation and soundstage of the other frequencies so naturally when my DX90 arrived I assumed that everything would pick up a notch or two but in fact to my ears it has degressed in the low frequencies. I will admit the clarity of the mids and highs has improved but the bass has really taken a turn for the worse. I listen to all types of music but where it lacks the most is in Reggae, Hip-Hop and Dub. I have tried playing with the different EQ settings and even tried my own custom setting but to no avail. I also found out that the EQ is kinda worthless cause no matter how high you raise any of the frequencies none of the presets sound as good as when the EQ is off. I have played with the different gain settings and that only seems to make the cans louder but does nothing to alter the actual sound signature. I have also tried my sennheiser CX300 II's with the DAP and they sound good but again the bass is lacking to my taste.So with that being said is there anything that I can add to it like another DAC or AMP that is portable and not too expensive that will give me the Bass that i am looking for or am I just going to have to find a different portable dap. Thank you in advance, Chris.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,163 of 14,084
  Hello fellow head-fiers,
I was hoping for some help in determining if my problem can be fixed with an addition of something portable or if I am stuck with the sound signature of the DX90. I have been listening to a pair of Fostex TH600's on my gaming PC "without" an amp or dac and have been blown away by the full and deep bass along with the clarity, separation and soundstage of the other frequencies so naturally when my DX90 arrived I assumed that everything would pick up a notch or two but in fact to my ears it has degressed in the low frequencies. I will admit the clarity of the mids and highs has improved but the bass has really taken a turn for the worse. I listen to all types of music but where it lacks the most is in Reggae, Hip-Hop and Dub. I have tried playing with the different EQ settings and even tried my own custom setting but to no avail. I also found out that the EQ is kinda worthless cause no matter how high you raise any of the frequencies none of the presets sound as good as when the EQ is off. I have played with the different gain settings and that only seems to make the cans louder but does nothing to alter the actual sound signature. I have also tried my sennheiser CX300 II's with the DAP and they sound good but again the bass is lacking to my taste.So with that being said is there anything that I can add to it like another DAC or AMP that is portable and not too expensive that will give me the Bass that i am looking for or am I just going to have to find a different portable dap. Thank you in advance, Chris.

Did you try the different gain settings by flicking the gain switch at the bottom of the DX90? See if any of that gives you desirable results. I suspect that what you feel is a 'lack' of bass might actually be a more well-controlled bass due to the additional power of the DX90's internal amp compared to just driving the headphones out of the headphone jack of your gaming PC without an external amp or dac. Cans tend to have more boomy bass when they are not driven with sufficient power, and when they are finally driven more appropriately, the bass might suddenly seem lacking, but it's actually more controlled and contributes to a more balanced overall frequency response. Just my thoughts from my observations when comparing some of my bassier phones without and with an amp. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #4,164 of 14,084
  Did you try the different gain settings by flicking the gain switch at the bottom of the DX90? See if any of that gives you desirable results. I suspect that what you feel is a 'lack' of bass might actually be a more well-controlled bass due to the additional power of the DX90's internal amp compared to just driving the headphones out of the headphone jack of your gaming PC without an external amp or dac. Cans tend to have more boomy bass when they are not driven with sufficient power, and when they are finally driven more appropriately, the bass might suddenly seem lacking, but it's actually more controlled and contributes to a more balanced overall frequency response. Just my thoughts from my observations when comparing some of my bassier phones without and with an amp. 
rolleyes.gif

Thank you for the response. I have tried all the different gain settings and that did nothing to alter the sound signature. I agree with you on the proper amp contributing to a balanced frequency but is there a way that I can provide more depth in the low frequency range by adding another component to the setup ?

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4,165 of 14,084
  Thank you for the response. I have tried all the different gain settings and that did nothing to alter the sound signature. I agree with you on the proper amp contributing to a balanced frequency but is there a way that I can provide more depth in the low frequency range by adding another component to the setup ?

You could perhaps try looking for some (portable) amps which include a 'bass boost' function or something similar. And among those which have such a function, some boost the sub-bass whereas some boost the mid-bass, so you also have to consider which kind of boost you prefer. One of the portable amps I know which has a 'bass boost' function is the FiiO E12. You can look it up on FiiO's website.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,166 of 14,084

Look for an amp with a bass boost (e.g. C5, arrow) . I don't know how big of a bass you are expecting because DX90 has a flat/neutral response. The EQ is subtractive, you can only decrease the level for each band the sliders represent.

Or maybe another DAP which can increase the bass bands by EQ makes more sense for you.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,167 of 14,084
  You could perhaps try looking for some (portable) amps which include a 'bass boost' function or something similar. And among those which have such a function, some boost the sub-bass whereas some boost the mid-bass, so you also have to consider which kind of boost you prefer. One of the portable amps I know which has a 'bass boost' function is the FiiO E12. You can look it up on FiiO's website.

Thank you very much ! That is what I was thinking just was not sure if it would make a difference.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #4,168 of 14,084
My DX90 headphone jack is dead, started with intermittently lost sound and drop dead this evening. ..........
.......By the way, I still have not got any response from iBasso.
confused_face.gif

I got reply from IBasso to sent back the DX90 and to email mail receipt scan, they consider this unit is DOA. New unit will be sent to me promptly.

A prompt service.
gs1000.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #4,169 of 14,084
  Thank you very much ! That is what I was thinking just was not sure if it would make a difference.

As you heard the bass in the beginning, it will come back as the unit burns in. That is why they furnished the burn-in resistor network. It takes a few hundred hours of use. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #4,170 of 14,084
As you heard the bass in the beginning, it will come back as the unit burns in. That is why they furnished the burn-in resistor network. It takes a few hundred hours of use. 

The bass he described as great was on his gaming pc's soundcard, he was never satisfied with the bass on the DX90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back