DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,436 of 14,084

Given the delay, we will only receive the item together with the retail outlets here. Given that the retail prices here is close to iBasso online prices, it makes more sense to order from them than from iBasso.

My DHL shipment status is still showing 'Shipment Information Received'. Its been two days so most likely DHL has yet to pickup the DX90 from iBasso. 

Yeah for some reason their warehouse seems to be sending all orders going to Singapore as a batch including the retail orders. It might be the reason why the initial shipment from Fardar was held in Customs. The bulk shipment of "20USD soundcard" must sound suspect.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3,438 of 14,084

Oh damn this is good. 24/192 playback is certainly not an issue and this little player has brought new life into my HD595 that were just gathering dust. I wonder how it's going to sound with an amp, say, perhaps a PB2 with topkit? 
biggrin.gif

This DAP is just phenomenal, will post more impressions as I get more listening time!

Yes, the DX90 is a worthy upgrade from the DX50.  Everything seems to be a notch up from the DX50, especially the depth of the sound stage, which some people might have referred to as "layering".  A complex piece of music (say, Mahler's Third) is resolved admirably by the DX90, with various instruments well defined and placed.  By the way, I am listening to it with the PB2 (stock opams) and the DT880 (600 ohms).

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,439 of 14,084
any word on how soon the drivers will be out for the dac functionality? also how does the dx90 compare soundwise to any desktop/portable dacs you guys have? in particular the stick style dacs like the dragonfly, microstreamer, audioengine d3, meridian explorer, etc.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,440 of 14,084
This thread is really moving so fast. I see a few reporting issues with file scanning. Then a few trolling replies about rushed product release from iBasso.

Just for the record, other than the USB DAC function not yet working on PC, there is no new bugs or issues being reported. (Unless I missed anything) If you have a DX50 or followed the DX50 thread you should know by now that DX90 has been derived from DX50. So the UI look and feel should be the same. So is the quirkiness.

For the new guys who are not familiar with DX50 and just got DX90, please read through the DX50 FAQ. It will help you sort things out.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #3,442 of 14,084
I agree with this. As I posted earlier I feel the X5 and DX90 SQ are indeed on the same level but with different priorities in tuning. They are both a great step yo from their last models and provide SQ that should satisfy most audiophile.

People who love transparency and resolution with musicality will likely rate DX90 higher (like myself). People who prefer smoothness and a more relaxed and intimate delivery of sound may prefer X5. Ultimately the appearance (I prefer dx90), UI (prefer dx90), controls (dx90), built (X5), single vs dual card slots (X5), touch-screen vs wheel (dx90), size (dx90), usb dac (x5 for now) would all plays into which one is "better" subjectively. For me it is clearly dx90.

Informative post - thanks! Helps me get caught up on the merits of both of these great daps. Gotta say, I'm starting to get excited about the d90. I wish it had dual slots, but by the time I end up buying, the 128G cards will hopefully be down in price a bit..

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,443 of 14,084
  any word on how soon the drivers will be out for the dac functionality? also how does the dx90 compare soundwise to any desktop/portable dacs you guys have? in particular the stick style dacs like the dragonfly, microstreamer, audioengine d3, meridian explorer, etc.

I didn't have a really long time to compare, but I have the V1.** dragonfly and I found the X5 to be much better than that. Noticeably better sound stage and better detail. If the DX90 is compatible like others have said here, then I imagine it is better too. Will update when I get mine.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,445 of 14,084
  Has anyone tried the USB DAC function on a MacOS X yet?

It doesn't work on the Mac and may not as it is a special USB program written for a PC and is not the same as the regular USB standard that will work on mac without drivers. This per an email from iBasso. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,446 of 14,084
It doesn't work on the Mac and may not as it is a special USB program written for a PC and is not the same as the regular USB standard that will work on mac without drivers. This per an email from iBasso. 

Serious bummer for all of us Mac users who ordered the DX90.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #3,448 of 14,084
So that they can utilise it as a USB DAC/Pre with their computers and that means they can take advantage of the already good sound quality of the DX90 DAC/Pre and save money on getting another stand alone DAC/Pre. If you have a stand alone DAC/Pre then you might not need that feature but then again if the DX90 DAC/Pre sounds better than your current stand alone DAC/Pre then you might want to sell your current DAC/Pre to recover some money from your DX90 purchase. If DX90 DAC/Pre really sound as good or better than my Audio GD NFB11.32 with a single Sabre ES9018 chipset then I'm sure going to purchase the DX90 and sell my Audio GD 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back