DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,407 of 14,084
Hmm.. I have both the X5 and DX90 as of few hours ago... all I can say is don't be so sure the DX90 can't be better. It's noticeably more transparent/clear with better seperation/layering. The X5 is very good but the DX90 is just out of this world impressive. It will not put the X5 to shame, nothing really will, but it might sound 10% better, which is kind of cool. It might actually be even more, but I'm not sure as they're both kind of new to me and I want to keep comparing them.

For Concero owners, the DX90 sounds like the Concero + great clean amp. The DAC section is better than the Bifrost. I would imagine it would give the Concero HP a run for its money.

I agree with this. As I posted earlier I feel the X5 and DX90 SQ are indeed on the same level but with different priorities in tuning. They are both a great step yo from their last models and provide SQ that should satisfy most audiophile.

People who love transparency and resolution with musicality will likely rate DX90 higher (like myself). People who prefer smoothness and a more relaxed and intimate delivery of sound may prefer X5. Ultimately the appearance (I prefer dx90), UI (prefer dx90), controls (dx90), built (X5), single vs dual card slots (X5), touch-screen vs wheel (dx90), size (dx90), usb dac (x5 for now) would all plays into which one is "better" subjectively. For me it is clearly dx90.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3,408 of 14,084
I agree with this. As I posted earlier I feel the X5 and DX90 SQ are indeed on the same level but with different priorities in tuning. They are both a great step yo from their last models and provide SQ that should satisfy most audiophile.

People who love transparency and resolution with musicality will likely rate DX90 higher (like myself). People who prefer smoothness and a more relaxed and intimate delivery of sound may prefer X5. Ultimately the appearance (I prefer dx90), UI (prefer dx90), controls (dx90), built (X5), single vs dual card slots (X5), touch-screen vs wheel (dx90), size (dx90), usb dac (x5 for now) would all plays into which one is "better" subjectively. For me it is clearly dx90.

Thanks, I trust your judgement based on impressive list of iems  you have.  I also take the aspect you mentioned as high importance.

I'm looking forward to your comparison of DX90 with the AK240 and the HM-901

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #3,409 of 14,084
The majority of X5's out on the market, at least the early ones that you could only get on Ebay at first are Replicas. When I was considering buying one on Ebay I asked 3 different sellers and all their replies were the same. "They are Replicas". Am I saying they are all replicas now, NO but buyer beware, I would only buy from a reputable seller.

In fact X5 has been available from China for a few months now, and has a few iteration of firmware updates. DX90 is first available on 12-Apr (for us in Hong Kong) globally. Having said that your friendly reminder of eBay replicas still stands, as it would for buying anything from eBay for any product.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #3,410 of 14,084
You guinea pigs never learn  Ibasso always release daps with bugs on it and you keep buying it,and that makes them think they can get away with it.....I will not buy a dap from ibasso again until they sort their UI bugs out and stop treating us audiophile lovers like mugs..

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,411 of 14,084
The majority of X5's out on the market, at least the early ones that you could only get on Ebay at first are Replicas. When I was considering buying one on Ebay I asked 3 different sellers and all their replies were the same. "They are Replicas". Am I saying they are all replicas now, NO but buyer beware, I would only buy from a reputable seller.

Quote:
In fact X5 has been available from China for a few months now, and has a few iteration of firmware updates. DX90 is first available on 12-Apr (for us in Hong Kong) globally. Having said that your friendly reminder of eBay replicas still stands, as it would for buying anything from eBay for any product.

I agree 100%, I should have stated North America sales.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,412 of 14,084
Replicas - lol....

Anyone seen Trainspotting? "How can if be a crime if I used a  #%$^ "replica" - Bigby.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,413 of 14,084
You guinea pigs never learn  Ibasso always release daps with bugs on it and you keep buying it,and that makes them think they can get away with it.....I will not buy a dap from ibasso again until they sort their UI bugs out and stop treating us audiophile lovers like mugs..

Not sure if you are grumpy and blaming us buying "imperfect products" such that companies keep putting out said imperfect products, or if you are grumpy and blaming companies not releasing perfect products, or if you are just grumpy.... But hey thanks for letting us know :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,414 of 14,084
People started getting their official X5 units from US distributors last week. The only reason it took until yesterday to get mine was because I ordered it from B&H, which was stupid since they are across the country from me. Ibasso missed beating the X5 to the US market by at least a week. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3,415 of 14,084
  Replicas - lol....

Anyone seen Trainspotting? "How can if be a crime if I used a  #%$^ "replica" - Bigby.

No crime on the buyers end at all but a HUGE crime on the sellers end. Replicas are ALWAYS made with inferior parts and software. Not to mention trying to get Fiio to fix it under warranty should a problem with the device occur. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #3,416 of 14,084

Hmm.. I have both the X5 and DX90 as of few hours ago... all I can say is don't be so sure the DX90 can't be better. It's noticeably more transparent/clear with better seperation/layering. 

I hope you are right. 
Either way the last audiophile DAP I purchased was the Cowon J3 (which was decent in its day)  so I amazed by the improvements made. Also both Fiio and Ibasso managed to hit a nice price point vs quality. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #3,417 of 14,084
No crime on the buyers end at all but a HUGE crime on the sellers end. Replicas are ALWAYS made with inferior parts and software. Not to mention trying to get Fiio to fix it under warranty should a problem with the device occur. 

I was referring to the x5 being available in North America for more than 2 weeks. IBasso didn't rush the dx90 to be first on the market.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,420 of 14,084
I have so far had no problems what so ever with mine, everything wors fine and as expected except from usb dac functionality which I dont need anyway. My SR71-B is not going to see much use from now on, mostly on longer trips in car with many nights in one place where I might bring my HE-500. With JH13, Tzar350 and Signature Pro the build in amp is plenty good enough and at least as good if not better than SR71-B single ended. Balanced SR71-B is better but not by much except for HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back