DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,351 of 14,084

No does anyone use these in their cars? Are these good options for that application or should I be looking for a different product?

I frequenty use DAPs in my car.  I would strongly advise against using any DAP with touchscreen controls (like the iBasso DX50/DX90) as a car player.  A DAP controlled with a touch screen gives no tactile feedback and therefore requires that you look at the screen when you operate most of its functions.  Trust me, you don't want to be fiddling with a touch screen and staring at the DAP screen when you're trying to drive.  It's as dangerous as texting while driving, it not worse. 

In my experience, the best DAP for use in the car is still the Sansa Clip+ running Rockbox.  Note that the Clip+ has a button layout that is slightly better than the layout on the (otherwise very similar) Clip Zip.  It's hard to explain, but the Clip+ buttons are just slightly better laid out, and just that much easier to manipulate with one hand without having to look at them.  The only downside of the Clip+ is its tiny screen.  You do have to take your eyes off the road for a few seconds to look at the screen if you're scrolling through folders to choose an album/song, and the Clip's tiny 1" screen is not ideal.  I would suggest using one of the simpler Rockbox themes, and a thick bold font (Nimbus is great).  The fact that the Clip+ only costs $30 doesn't hurt either. 

Note that I'm not trying to take anything away from the DX50 here.  I'm listening to mine right now with IEMs and it truly sounds wonderful once you install Rockbox on it, but I would never, ever use it in the car again.  I tried it once when I first got it and let's just say I'm lucky to be alive. 

I also have a FiiO X3.  While the X3 does not have touchscreen controls, its button layout is very non-intuitive.  It's not bad for use in the car, but the button controls take some getting used to.  The major advantages of the X3 are its large display screen with big easy to read fonts.  The X3 also has a line out, but be aware that its high 1.7V output can overload many car AUX inputs. 

I also spent many years using an iPod Video (aka Classic) running Rockbox as a car player.  The Classic doesn't make a bad car DAP, as the screen is a good size and easy to read.  I just got fed up with the annoying LOD connectors which often broke, and the fact that it didn't have an SD card slot.  Also, I realized that the control buttons on the Clip+ actually give better tactile feedback than the iPod's clickwheel.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,352 of 14,084
^ DX90 has buttons you know. I always have my DX50 inside a bag and just reach in to control it. The buttons are big enough to find the correct buttons I need to press without looking at it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,354 of 14,084
Thanks for all the info JJ

I'd be OK just hitting play and letting it run through the songs/playlist. You bring up some great point though. I wonder if having a dedicated unit for the car and not the car would make any sense... I would think the Sansa's audio quality doesn't match up with some of these more expensive units right?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #1,355 of 14,084
Quote:

So you are telling me you can say your opinion and I do not? That is why I stated my use case. That is why DX90 exist. So does other DAPs (that's choice). If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Yeah it does not make sense to me. Whether you agree or not are or not it does not matter to me. As I mentioned before storage (or lack of) is an inconvenience that has a remedy (except if you got a Sony or Apple). Hardware design affecting SQ is not as easy to work around with later on, especially in the same package as DX90. 

Did I say anywhere you can't disagree with what I say around here?

Not at all - disagreement is fine, different opinions are fine. That's why they make different products, after all.   My issue with your quoted post earlier was that it came across as dismissive of other people's viewpoints. 

Moving on from that, and referring to your and Soren's comment about designing a product being difficult, I dont buy that argument - for an established company with a reasonably comprehensive product line, it shouldnt be such a big issue.  Or put another way, I'd be very worried about dealing with a company that struggled to put implement such basic design changes.    I think it is more likely that iBasso just decided to update their player with relatively minimal impact on their housing and assembly processes - which is fine.

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,356 of 14,084
The world does not owe anybody the perfect dap (perhaps the perfect cup of coffee, though). All of this hand-wringing is nothing more than a silly first-world problem if you really think about it. I'm really excited about the new Cowon player, though - yet another reason to hold off on buying a dap
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #1,357 of 14,084
  Thanks for all the info JJ

I'd be OK just hitting play and letting it run through the songs/playlist. You bring up some great point though. I wonder if having a dedicated unit for the car and not the car would make any sense... I would think the Sansa's audio quality doesn't match up with some of these more expensive units right?

If you're willing to restrict yourself to playing songs in sequence in one folder, you might be able to get by, but the temptation to switch to another folder while driving will always be there - and that could lead to disaster. 

A car interior is far from the perfect listening environment.  The performance of the Clip+/Rockbox probably far exceeds the performance any factory sound system on the market.  And don't let the price of the Clip+ fool you.  Running Rockbox, it can outperform many players 10x its price.

You could use a high end player like a DX50/DX90 at home and leave the Clip+ in the car.  In fact, you could simply pop the microSD card with all your music on it out of the DX90, then pop it into the Clip+ once you're in the car. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,358 of 14,084

Not at all - disagreement is fine, different opinions are fine. That's why they make different products, after all.   My issue with your quoted post earlier was that it came across as dismissive of other people's viewpoints. 

Moving on from that, and referring to your and Soren's comment about designing a product being difficult, I dont buy that argument - for an established company with a reasonably comprehensive product line, it shouldnt be such a big issue.  Or put another way, I'd be very worried about dealing with a company that struggled to put implement such basic design changes.    I think it is more likely that iBasso just decided to update their player with relatively minimal impact on their housing and assembly processes - which is fine.

This is exactly what DX90 is about. An upgrade of DAC/Amp section without spending much time/resource on a new case, layout and minimal retooling of the assembly line. This way they can push out a new product rather quickly leveraging on what is already available/experienced with DX50.

In about a year they change the gut of DX50 and stuck in there something that could possibly reach the level of DX100. I don't see them struggling on the design front. No, they are not a big company as you might think. I'm just saying they have their priorities set which of course I happen to agree. Speaking of big names, Apple does the same thing, incremental upgrades, but they stick to their core design objectives. Those who don't agree gets a to choose any adroid/windows phone they see fit for their use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back