DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Dec 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #121 of 14,084
I am also a disciple of the double microSD and minimal memory, just want to make sure they have enough to operate the player and firmware updates. I am definitively gunning for putting everything on the sd cards, it's so convenient and fast if you use a reader.

I am not using the internal storage of DX50. I keep everything on the SD card. It becomes a pain if you keep wiping the internal storage off every updates.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #122 of 14,084
That's the mentality that makes me nervous. It's like DX50 all over again if they rush it out the door and let us do the QA for them.

I already waited for the dust to settle a bit with DX50 before getting one. But even then it still gave me a few annoyances. I can only imagine the grief it cost to guys who were there from the start.

It depends if they have come to their senses about QA the player using the sample mass. If they could release the DX90 say by February 2014 to a select few beta testers for an intensive 3 to 4 weeks. Then they may have a chance but the orchestration of the testers is going to be a major challenge requiring ways to get in touch with them quickly and send the timely beta updates. Not an easy act to perform but really possible. If they release the dap like they did for the DX50, then it I would say, the results can go from acceptable to catastrophic release failure, that's only because they will be other products in the timeline release.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #123 of 14,084

That's the mentality that makes me nervous. It's like DX50 all over again if they rush it out the door and let us do the QA for them.

I already waited for the dust to settle a bit with DX50 before getting one. But even then it still gave me a few annoyances. I can only imagine the grief it cost to guys who were there from the start.

I understand your concern.

At the same time, though, I am happy to see both Fiio and iBasso being pragmatic by building a product range wherein each new model leverages the R&D of earlier models, whether that be hardware or firmware, or both. It can greatly speed-up design time, eventually increase reliability, and even reduce costs and thus final retail price.

Nothing is perfect, and nothing is ever certain, but, broadly-speaking, I think the above approach can be beneficial to both the vendor and the customer.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #124 of 14,084
Why is everybody asking for more space than 64GB? The DX50 reads up to 256GB with the right adapter, actually might as well read up to 2TB on the slot too... (used a Pro SD Card with no issues whatsoever, though i only put a few folders in, since it wasn't really mine...). We get what's available, and i don't think that's ibasso's fault.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #125 of 14,084
I just hope they don't screw up the UI like DX50 when they first release it , a few months after the release of DX90 , there'll be news of DX120 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #126 of 14,084
Both Fiio and iBasso are entering a segment in the audiophile market that's yet to be entered.
They have each opened the doors to the lower end market with X3 and DX50 respectively, so it is a natural progression to move into the middle segment of the market with X5 and DX90 as well. It's practically the same strategy used by mobile phone makers.

Both would move into the high end segment of the market when they've understood the current market wants. In this area, iBasso may have the upper hand with their experience with DX100. Fiio has the X7 in the works. Unfortunately, the overcrowded mix of Hifiman HM901, Tera Player, AK100, and AK120, is quite a tight fight despite each high end devices having different strengths.

Suspect we will see more mid and high end players with very different feature sets to cater to different audiophile needs.

What an exciting 2014 we're heading towards.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #127 of 14,084
Why is everybody asking for more space than 64GB? The DX50 reads up to 256GB with the right adapter, actually might as well read up to 2TB on the slot too... (used a Pro SD Card with no issues whatsoever, though i only put a few folders in, since it wasn't really mine...). We get what's available, and i don't think that's ibasso's fault.

OTG function is not the same than the DX50 external microSD, you scan as you play, kind a pain in the but if you ask me. The other integrates the tag database through scanning which is more along the line of standard dap functionality so having double microSD with integrated tag database is way more desirable.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #128 of 14,084
  I just hope they don't screw up the UI like DX50 when they first release it , a few months after the release of DX90 , there'll be news of DX120 
rolleyes.gif

There is certainly room for improvement on the DX-100 in the light of more recent developments. I've had mine for well over 18 months and love it to bits but is could be smaller, have a longer battery life, and a second slot and higher capacity would be very helpful.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #133 of 14,084
There is certainly room for improvement on the DX-100 in the light of more recent developments. I've had mine for well over 18 months and love it to bits but is could be smaller, have a longer battery life, and a second slot and higher capacity would be very helpful.

Yeah , the smaller the better , wouldn't like 'the better the dac , the bigger it is' . Something like the DX50 would be just fine .

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #134 of 14,084
I would accept a bigger size DAP if it has a balance amp in it...to complement that dual dac, using hirose 6pin phone out... but it would not be 500usd and probably half the battery life
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back