DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #12,212 of 14,084
Those of you who listen DX90 on Angie, could you please comment - which gain do you use? I read in review that high gain sounds best, which is a bit counterintuitive since Angie are 17 Ohms with 117 dB sensitivity, which should be a LOW gain setting on DX90.

May 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #12,213 of 14,084
High gain has the warmest sound, that's why it's recommended, nothing to do with power matching etc. Or can get dx90 modded for neutral sounding gain 
wink.gif

May 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #12,214 of 14,084
  Those of you who listen DX90 on Angie, could you please comment - which gain do you use? I read in review that high gain sounds best, which is a bit counterintuitive since Angie are 17 Ohms with 117 dB sensitivity, which should be a LOW gain setting on DX90.

just use the gain you feel sounds best to you
wink.gif

also , how is the synergy between angie and DX90 ? i am interested in getting angie in the near future....

May 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #12,215 of 14,084
Actually LOW gain sounds good to me, which is inline with technical specs of the headphones and DX90, still do not understand how high sensitivity headphones can work well at higher gain settings, thus asked for personal experience.

also , how is the synergy between angie and DX90 ? i am interested in getting angie in the near future....

Angie are lovely with DX90, very resolving and else, enough said on many reviews.. I think synergy is great, however, I do get some feeling that it might be beneficial to upgrade to Sony ZX2, Angie have me thinking on this :)

May 8, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #12,217 of 14,084
Actually LOW gain sounds good to me, which is inline with technical specs of the headphones and DX90, still do not understand how high sensitivity headphones can work well at higher gain settings, thus asked for personal experience.

Angie are lovely with DX90, very resolving and else, enough said on many reviews.. I think synergy is great, however, I do get some feeling that it might be beneficial to upgrade to Sony ZX2, Angie have me thinking on this :)

The Angie sounds real nice on DX90. But running it balanced through AK100ii sounds even phenomenal.

May 8, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #12,218 of 14,084
do you get any sound dropouts?  my coax connection seems very touchy (I'm presuming on the hugo side), and wondering if i should be taking it back for fix/replacement

Never had a dropout, seems something faulty. Using it with X5 though.

May 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #12,220 of 14,084
  Has anyone compared DX90 to Sony ZX2 yet? 

Yes. Sadly, even my modded DX90j gets wiped out by the ZX2's performance, sonically and UI wise. It sounds cleaner and more effortless with a more natural decay and a very emotional sonic presentation coupled with amazing three-dimensional staging. The only drawback the ZX2 has is much reduced power output compared to the DX90 or other DAPs. It's very much designed for optimal usage with IEMs.

May 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #12,221 of 14,084
I really enjoy the ZX2, excellent sound but I do not agree that the DX90 is wiped out by it. They are both very musical and bring a little something different to the table of sound. I enjoy the music no less on the DX90 compared to the ZX2, like different venues for the same music being played. I can not say this about all the daps I own. Some do not hold up to either being too warm or lacking in details, poor bass foundation and so on. I think that it depends upon what you want to hear. To me, and IMO, neither of these daps do the music harm but have the capability of bringing the enjoyment of the sound to the listener and that is what it is all about. 

May 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #12,222 of 14,084
  I really enjoy the ZX2, excellent sound but I do not agree that the DX90 is wiped out by it. They are both very musical and bring a little something different to the table of sound. I enjoy the music no less on the DX90 compared to the ZX2, like different venues for the same music being played. I can not say this about all the daps I own. Some do not hold up to either being too warm or lacking in details, poor bass foundation and so on. I think that it depends upon what you want to hear. To me, and IMO, neither of these daps do the music harm but have the capability of bringing the enjoyment of the sound to the listener and that is what it is all about. 

To each his own, I do agree that the DX90 is pretty fantastic in its own right!

May 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #12,223 of 14,084
Nathan aka Shigzeo aka Mr. Ohm Image just published an article on rockboxing the DX90 on Headfonia

http://www.headfonia.com/godbless-you-mr-headwhacker-or-rockbox-loves-the-dx90/

May 8, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #12,224 of 14,084
  Nathan aka Shigzeo aka Mr. Ohm Image just published an article on rockboxing the DX90 on Headfonia

http://www.headfonia.com/godbless-you-mr-headwhacker-or-rockbox-loves-the-dx90/

nice review , but he says DX90 doesn't play gapless.

no offense , but i have perfect gapless with my FLAC files

saying that stock/lurker FWs don't have true gapless is not correct - plus it may send potential buyers away.

i use lurker's FW (2.1.5 , 2.1.8 , 2.2.0) and i had no gapless problems WHATSOEVER.

and i only have complete albums , not top-40 singles (and many albums there that need to be heard gapless)

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back