DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Oct 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #8,717 of 14,084
  What about a 128GB sd card? Which brand and type is recommended for the DX90-is 128GB Ultra Micro SDXC class 10 a good one? Is the sound sharp enough btw? I want it to sound brilliant on fast movements and not blurry and distant. Another thing-Has anyone succefully used the DX90 as a sound card for the PC?

Yes, with the latest DAC driver I use the 90 with Windows on my Mac computer. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #8,718 of 14,084
  You ask pretty much.
afaik the Sandisk 128gb micro is the only available memory card at the moment.
The sound won't change with a different sd card. There'll be only problems if the card is to  slow.

I asked if the sound is brilliant and sharp in general, And if it doesn't sound distant. I ask pretty much before wasting 400$ on something i may not like

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #8,720 of 14,084
I asked if the sound is brilliant and sharp in general, And if it doesn't sound distant. I ask pretty much before wasting 400$ on something i may not like

You really won't know if you like it until you hear it yourself

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8,721 of 14,084

Neither nor. It's not sharp or distant. Leans a hair toward the smooth side but clearly not distant. Nothing is perfect but the DX90 is VG by any measure.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #8,722 of 14,084
  I am not in the US, But i found it on eBay for the same price. What is the max sd support? Is it gapless and neutral? I saw someone who reviewd it saying that the sound quality isn't good

Technically it is 2tb but that has not come out to the market yet, currently I believe the biggest you can get is 128gbs. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #8,724 of 14,084
Hi guys, another newbie. I must admit I have been totally knocked out by the sound of this great device. I am also using one of the cheap HiFimeDIY USB DACs between my PC and my study HiFi, an old Rogers cadet tube Amp and Rogers LS3/5a speakers and that sounds great as well. Almost as good as Vinyl
wink_face.gif

I can highly recommend the 24/192 versions of the first 5 R.E.M. LPs. They sound totally different to the originals. Also Joy Division, Van Morrison and Fleetwood Mac. These can be found online.

I really want to use the DX90 as an inline USB DAC. It was the best value USB DAC I could find and being a DAP as well is an added bonus. I love it. But I can't get the new USB driver to work.

My PC is one of the Intel NUC boxes running Windows 8.1 64 bit and has 4 USB 3 ports (no USB 2).

I have followed musicheaven's very helpful instructions (I would never have worked that out for myself) and now I can see the Mango USB interface in device manager. But under 'Audio Inputs and outputs' it is listing a device called 'SPDIF interface(3 -U2 Asynch DAC' . When I go into Control Panel Sound I can't see the mango device to be able to select it, just the SPDIF device. I have also tried in Foobar2000 and again it doesn't see the mango as an audio device so I can't select it. There must be a way of telling Windows that it is an Audio Device but I can't find it. I don't think that is anything to do with USB 3. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I will try on an older PC tomorrow but I want to get it working on my fastest PC for obvious reasons.

Also does anyone know if this version of the driver contains the fix to let it work through a USB hub?

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #8,725 of 14,084
I have been a little dissatisfied with the line out of the DX90 into my valve amplifier into speakers. The bass sounds a little too boomy and just not as clean compared to listening to a CD player. Is this because line out is still slightly amped compared to the pure "DAC" output of the CD player? Do others have the same problem?

Anyway, I have decided to use the DX90 purely as a transport and feed its Co-axial output into a Rega DAC that I have snaffled off EBay and which I hope to receive early next week. I had thought about an Audiolab 8200CD player which has co-axial impute or the Mdac, but the reviews implied that both those although brilliant could be too sterile sounding. The Rega is always described as being musical but sometimes lacking imagery.

Looking forward to making more use of the DX90 in my home system through speakers and excited about trying out the Rega Dac. More to follow.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #8,726 of 14,084
  @GustavMahler

At some point, you have to read this forum...

What do you mean? I ask questions as i am supposed to in a forum
Another question that i didn't find answer for-Is it a microSD slot or a full size slot?

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #8,727 of 14,084
I have been a little dissatisfied with the line out of the DX90 into my valve amplifier into speakers. The bass sounds a little too boomy and just not as clean compared to listening to a CD player. Is this because line out is still slightly amped compared to the pure "DAC" output of the CD player? Do others have the same problem?

Anyway, I have decided to use the DX90 purely as a transport and feed its Co-axial output into a Rega DAC that I have snaffled off EBay and which I hope to receive early next week. I had thought about an Audiolab 8200CD player which has co-axial impute or the Mdac, but the reviews implied that both those although brilliant could be too sterile sounding. The Rega is always described as being musical but sometimes lacking imagery.

Looking forward to making more use of the DX90 in my home system through speakers and excited about trying out the Rega Dac. More to follow.

I'm liking the Audiolab 8200CD very much in my home rig both as a cd player and as a dac fed via foobar from an older netbook upgraded with a 2TB internal drive from both optical and usb and does not find it sterile at all. Have not tried to feed it from DX90

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #8,728 of 14,084
What do you mean? I ask questions as i am supposed to in a forum

All your questions have been answered many times through this thread but I understand that it is easier just asking them again rather than spending a bit of effort reading the thread

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #8,729 of 14,084
Hi, 

A question. Is there anyway to change the frequencies in the 8 band EQ?

Thx. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #8,730 of 14,084

Users who are viewing this thread

Back