DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #3,467 of 14,084
  I'm not sure I get why everyone wants a USB DAC option with a DAP? 

It's about simplification. Why keep a separate DAC when you are at home sitting on your desk if your DAP is very well capable of doing the same function.

Ah, I see. Wouldn't it be easier just to change out SD cards? 

You don't want to keep buying SD Cards, you will never get to the same level of storage as desktop hard drives or NAS.

Given that DX90 has no effectively very limited internal storage and just a single micro SD slot, the USB DAC function is the easiest way of playing music files from your already massive music library sitting at home and still use your favorite media player.

I don't see any reason why new DAPs with USB interface not supporting this function.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #3,469 of 14,084
Yes, the DX90 is a worthy upgrade from the DX50.  Everything seems to be a notch up from the DX50, especially the depth of the sound stage, which some people might have referred to as "layering".  A complex piece of music (say, Mahler's Third) is resolved admirably by the DX90, with various instruments well defined and placed.  By the way, I am listening to it with the PB2 (stock opams) and the DT880 (600 ohms).

Does the PB2 add much compared to listening just to the Dx90?

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #3,470 of 14,084
A major strike against the DX90 for the Mac owners.
frown.gif

I don't really understand why they haven't thought about that while every other competitor can do it.

Yep this seriously sucks 
angry_face.gif
 Just cancelled my order because of this. Looks like I'll have to stick to my X5 for a little longer (and keep a close eye on the Calyx M
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #3,473 of 14,084
Sorry i traced the threads and is confused. Seems someone said the USB DAC works on PC but not Mac, others said the USB DAC does not work at all due to no driver. Can anyone confirm the USB DAC is working or not? On which platform?

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3,475 of 14,084

I don't see Windows as a more superior OS than Mac OS. To be honest, they are equivalent when you look at the general overview between the two. I'm a man of peace, not destruction. 
wink.gif

Equivilent?Mac OSX has the power of BSD under the hood, not equivilent at all. Of course you may prefer one to another.

Lets not get OT here. Back to the DX90 pls.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #3,478 of 14,084
Neither DX50 nor DX90 work as a usb dac as of this moment. Both have been promissed to do so at some point in the future and the option to do so is already in the settings menu on the DX90 but the driver for the computer has not been released yet. As to the Mac support question I have no idea, it has not been specifically addressed by iBasso what os's they will support other than the e-mail Jamato mentions

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #3,479 of 14,084
If this DAP is not USB Audio 2.0 compliant, linux users have less hope to get a driver 
redface.gif

I would like to play high res files at home on my ubuntu workstation and FLAC on the go. I'm waiting for confimations before ordering an X5 or DX90.

Edit : USB Audio 2.0 is natively supported in the kernel by OSX and Linux. Only Windows need a driver.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #3,480 of 14,084
Neither DX50 nor DX90 work as a usb dac as of this moment. Both have been promissed to do so at some point in the future and the option to do so is already in the settings menu on the DX90 but the driver for the computer has not been released yet. As to the Mac support question I have no idea, it has not been specifically addressed by iBasso what os's they will support other than the e-mail Jamato mentions

Thanks. Will keep observing on the beta testing results until the usb dac update has come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back