DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,177 of 3,609
Quote:
what are the biggest complaint about DX100? I only started this hobby recently... is it the battery life?

I present to you - the biggest issues for lee730:
Quote:

Battery life, quirky UI, Wifi issues, load times, popping when powering on and off the unit, the unit gets hot when in your pocket. If you can get past these issues then you may really enjoy the DX100s sound. The UI has improved from what I've read since I sold my unit. Portability and battery life were my bigger reasons for selling it. Although the DX100 would fully charge from a complete drain in 2 hours time. So that did really mitigate that issue honestly.

For me, however:

Battery life: Non-issue. I use mine at a desk, hooked up to the $6 charger I bought from Ibasso. Some use their DX100 for trans-continental flights where 7-9 hours of playback is not enough. I don't. 
Wifi: I think mine is broken again. I really don't care as I never use that feature. Some bought the DX100 with plans to use it for streaming audio. Boy, were they in for a nasty surprise! Personally, I only use it for flac playback.
Quirky UI? Took me a whole of 25 seconds to find my way around the UI and I've been using it ever since. Heaps better than other TOTL daps like the HM-801, Colorfly C4 etc. Extremely slow and ugly compared to TOTL Android phones. Pretty damn fine for a dap.

See? This is why the DX100 is an AWESOME dap to me and a useless, overpriced piece of junk for others. When reading reviews, be sure to consider how you will actually be using any given device and read the review in that perspective. Example: Reviews of the LCD2 v2 tells me they might be right up my alley. Trying them on at a local meet confirmed this. Brilliant headphones. Expensive? Sure, but they sound the part. Yet to me, they are worthless as I listen almost exclusively at the office, rendering open headphones rather useless - not to mention the fact that they get warm and heavy over time. If you need a DAP for running or for streaming Pandora, the DX100 will be a damn poor choice. Need a fine music source at your desk, independent from your computer? DX100 is what you need. If we look at the DX50 as an iPod-killer, things aren't looking too good. If we look at it as a baby DX100 at 1/3 the price, I think Ibasso absolutely nailed it, judging by pictures and specs. 

Horses for courses, gentlmen.

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2,178 of 3,609
Quote:
I present to you - the biggest issues for lee730:

For me, however:

Battery life: Non-issue. I use mine at a desk, hooked up to the $6 charger I bought from Ibasso. Some use their DX100 for trans-continental flights where 7-9 hours of playback is not enough. I don't. 
Wifi: I think mine is broken again. I really don't care as I never use that feature. Some bought the DX100 with plans to use it for streaming audio. Boy, were they in for a nasty surprise! Personally, I only use it for flac playback.
Quirky UI? Took me a whole of 25 seconds to find my way around the UI and I've been using it ever since. Heaps better than other TOTL daps like the HM-801, Colorfly C4 etc. Extremely slow and ugly compared to TOTL Android phones. Pretty damn fine for a dap.

See? This is why the DX100 is an AWESOME dap to me and a useless, overpriced piece of junk for others. When reading reviews, be sure to consider how you will actually be using any given device and read the review in that perspective. Example: Reviews of the LCD2 v2 tells me they might be right up my alley. Trying them on at a local meet confirmed this. Brilliant headphones. Expensive? Sure, but they sound the part. Yet to me, they are worthless as I listen almost exclusively at the office, rendering open headphones rather useless - not to mention the fact that they get warm and heavy over time. If you need a DAP for running or for streaming Pandora, the DX100 will be a damn poor choice. Need a fine music source at your desk, independent from your computer? DX100 is what you need. If we look at the DX50 as an iPod-killer, things aren't looking too good. If we look at it as a baby DX100 at 1/3 the price, I think Ibasso absolutely nailed it, judging by pictures and specs. 

+1. This. All depends on what you need, how you gonna use it.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,179 of 3,609

This is so true. I can get past most issue Lee listed except for the unresponsive UI. It is easy to use and look nice even, with big screen to boot, but just very frustrating when it doesn't respond to my taps. It was bad enough for me to switch to the AK100 fully knowing I'd not be satisfied with the sound.

The plan was to get an International to pair with it until I trade up to AK120. But I still do miss the 9018's clarity and ended up getting the HM901 also.

Hoping DX50 to give us really good sound and snappy UI so that I can trade my AK120 to help fund a good desktop dac or amp....

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #2,181 of 3,609
Less than 3 hours if we're talking GMT+8, but i doubt they're doing a midnight release. I'll have to regularly refresh ibasso's dx50 page 
beyersmile.png

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,187 of 3,609
LOL You should all chillax! Have a drink, listen to some music - there's no need to freak out and waste your time refreshing pages and checking back if it's out every 2 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back