DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,216 of 3,609
The TP was already expensive and the new price is nuts...but repeating it over 4 threads is just beating a dead horse...I think most people agree so let's agree to agree once and for all.

The DX50 cannot reasonably sound as good as the DX100, unless they wish it to replace the dx100 which does not seem likely. Otherwise if the DX50 sounds as good, is smaller, cheaper or even at the same price, what is the point of the DX100? As I see it, there are too, non exclusive options. Either it is a lower range player aiming to compete with the X3 and it will not sound as good as the DX100. Or the SQ will be close to that of the DX100, but only with iems.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,217 of 3,609
Like I said, it's usually not so much of a downgrade in SQ, but a downgrade in functions. The step down in SQ won't be so significant compared to the step down in features of the lower model across many different brands. My 2c
Quote:
The TP was already expensive and the new price is nuts...but repeating it over 4 threads is just beating a dead horse...I think most people agree so let's agree to agree once and for all.

The DX50 cannot reasonably sound as good as the DX100, unless they wish it to replace the dx100 which does not seem likely. Otherwise if the DX50 sounds as good, is smaller, cheaper or even at the same price, what is the point of the DX100? As I see it, there are too, non exclusive options. Either it is a lower range player aiming to compete with the X3 and it will not sound as good as the DX100. Or the SQ will be close to that of the DX100, but only with iems.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,218 of 3,609

It really isn't that hard to understand why iBasso would really want dx100 replaced and get dx50 to sound as close to dx100 as possible. Dx100 is already yesteryear with way less hype and wow than when we initially all bought it. Those in awe yesteryear had already bought it... not much new dx100 sales are to be made anymore for customers lookong at $800+ level DAPs now anymore. As an actual paying customer for all these 3 daps I would even venture to say AK120 and HM901 are both a class above dx100 for different reasons. AK100 for achieving similar sonic performance in a way nicer overall package. Hm901 for achieving better sound, expandability, longer battery life, plus more effective UI. Ibasso needs a new flagship and not clanging on last year's darling and hamper it's new star entrant. There is no cannabalisation of profits here. If anything, a dx50 with respectable performance and competitively priced against other brand's flagships, they gain more sales, more market share, or at least stellar reps and creds from competition.

I hope I make sense.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,219 of 3,609
Quote:
The TP was already expensive and the new price is nuts...but repeating it over 4 threads is just beating a dead horse...

Yeah, that is a fair point....lol.

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,221 of 3,609
Quote:
It really isn't that hard to understand why iBasso would really want dx100 replaced and get dx50 to sound as close to dx100 as possible. Dx100 is already yesteryear with way less hype and wow than when we initially all bought it. Those in awe yesteryear had already bought it... not much new dx100 sales are to be made anymore for customers lookong at $800+ level DAPs now anymore. As an actual paying customer for all these 3 daps I would even venture to say AK120 and HM901 are both a class above dx100 for different reasons. AK100 for achieving similar sonic performance in a way nicer overall package. Hm901 for achieving better sound, expandability, longer battery life, plus more effective UI. Ibasso needs a new flagship and not clanging on last year's darling and hamper it's new star entrant. There is no cannabalisation of profits here. If anything, a dx50 with respectable performance and competitively priced against other brand's flagships, they gain more sales, more market share, or at least stellar reps and creds from competition.

I hope I make sense.

Do they still make the hm901?

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,223 of 3,609
Jul 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,224 of 3,609
Quote:

I hope I make sense.

I think if it was the case, they would have called it DX200 :) Besides, I heard from the grapevine that iBasso explicitely told distributors that the DX50 would be lower range than DX100. It might be crap.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,227 of 3,609
No that's the 901 :)

Dang cheapo even skimmed me on the bubble wrap!!!!! Need a file a complaint.... but it does have battery tho so I guess we are even?

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #1,229 of 3,609
Quote:

I hope I make sense.

I see your point but I don't see it the same way.

I do not anticipate the DX50 sounding as good as the DX100. I think it'll be aimed at larger sales volume with  'very-good-performance-for-the-price'  , but the successor to the DX100 is more likely to stick with one or more high-end DAC chips. Apparently the ES9018-2M is not just lower power consumption but also significantly lower spec than the ES9018 desktop chip, so it remains to be seen if the ES9018-2M becomes the new darling of the audiophile DAP world or if it languishes in the shadow of it's desktop forebear. Whatever the case, the DX100 successor is likely to be a tasty piece of kit and I doubt iBasso would waste all the kudos they've built with the DX100 by putting out anything less than a statement DAP.

Even so, perhaps the bigger question with these DAPs is how willing each vendor is to compromise with regard to the trade-off of power-hunger of the amp section vs. sound quality & reactive-load-driving capability. iRiver have shown that they feel the DX100 and HM-901 are excessively power hungry.

It's all to play for, and the fact that different vendors have different design philosophies can only be a good thing for us DAP buyers.

Let's also not forget that iBasso are relatively small vendors and it does cost rather a lot in R & D to design a serious DAP, so whether they've managed to cover all their costs for the DX100 design effort (and magnesium casting production etc.), yet, is uncertain.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,230 of 3,609
Quote:

I see your point but I don't see it the same way.

I do not anticipate the DX50 sounding as good as the DX100. I think it'll be aimed at larger sales volume with  'very-good-performance-for-the-price'  , but the successor to the DX100 is more likely to stick with one or more high-end DAC chips. Apparently the ES9018-2M is not just lower power consumption but also significantly lower spec than the ES9018 desktop chip, so it remains to be seen if the ES9018-2M becomes the new darling of the audiophile DAP world or if it languishes in the shadow of it's desktop forebear. Whatever the case, the DX100 successor is likely to be a tasty piece of kit and I doubt iBasso would waste all the kudos they've built with the DX100 by putting out anything less than a statement DAP.

Even so, perhaps the bigger question with these DAPs is how willing each vendor is to compromise with regard to the trade-off of power-hunger of the amp section vs. sound quality & reactive-load-driving capability. iRiver have shown that they feel the DX100 and HM-901 are excessively power hungry.

It's all to play for, and the fact that different vendors have different design philosophies can only be a good thing for us DAP buyers.

Let's also not forget that iBasso are relatively small vendors and it does cost rather a lot in R & D to design a serious DAP, so whether they've managed to cover all their costs for the DX100 design effort (and magnesium casting production etc.), yet, is uncertain.

Good points, and in fact our thoughts aren't that different.  DX50 won't equal DX100 and from the model nomenclature it is already a given.  The point I had been trying to make is that contrary to many HFer's expectation, my speculation is that DX50 will be much closer to the DX100 than the X3 in terms of price and performance even both are single wm8740 based.

It will indeed be a challenge for iBasso to come up with their next flagship.  Ditching Android is a good sign.  I had taken jabs (mostly in jest) at Hifiman's 901 appearance and built issues in the past but having spent a month with it now I respect their team and the product.  It is not easy to make design decisions over form, sound, battery, and price under limited development resources these companies are facing.  Interesting juncture for these Chinese DAP makers.  Personally I still am not sure about iBasso's philosophies.  Fiio's James is clearly on the bang-for-buck mass market aspect and prioritizes entry products.  Hifiman's Fang is almost a egomaniac that believes and is determined to become "world's best" but prioritizing high-ends.  And these is also Colorfly, iHifi etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back