DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
May 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #423 of 3,609
Quote:
I've had very good luck with samsung batteries and their longevity.  Also happy to hear about the coax out...that keeps me interested.

Yes, Samsung makes good batteries. I have used different types of theirs for years. Apple computers use Samsungs in the MacBook pro and other models.

May 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #424 of 3,609
I think the removable battery is an excellent idea.

To many DAPs on the market are labeled as 'disposable' due to their hard wired sealed in batteries (Apple I'm looking at you). When I purchase something it's a great feeling to know the unit will have a long span because I've purchased with long term investment in mind. One thing I dislike when buying a DAP is I feel the product will only be good until the battery dies in 3-4 years, then what, throw it away? We can also juggle batteries on the go doing things this way.

I still would like to see decent run times though 10+ would be nice.

May 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #425 of 3,609
Quote:
I think the removable battery is an excellent idea.

To many DAPs on the market are labeled as 'disposable' due to their hard wired sealed in batteries (Apple I'm looking at you). When I purchase something it's a great feeling to know the unit will have a long span because I've purchased with long term investment in mind. One thing I dislike when buying a DAP is I feel the product will only be good until the battery dies in 3-4 years, then what, throw it away? We can also juggle batteries on the go doing things this way.

I still would like to see decent run times though 10+ would be nice.

10 plus hours on run time.

May 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #426 of 3,609
I think battery concerns are overblown by a small, yet vocal crowd. I have a battery in an 8 year old ipod nano that still runs for 5 hours. And the current battery in my 3 year old ipod classic runs for almost 40 hours. by the time it's degraded enough to run for only 10 hours, the thing will be ancient. Hard drive is more likely to fail first.

May 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #427 of 3,609
Quote:
I think battery concerns are overblown by a small, yet vocal crowd. I have a battery in an 8 year old ipod nano that still runs for 5 hours. And the current battery in my 3 year old ipod classic runs for almost 40 hours. by the time it's degraded enough to run for only 10 hours, the thing will be ancient. Hard drive is more likely to fail first.

Well I can understand the concern as batteries do die or go bad early and I have had it happen a few time. I can desolder batteries if that is how they are wired in but most people don't have that ability, which I also understand.

On batteries, I have a cell in a Leica light meter that is 30 years old and is still good but it is one of the wafers that had mercury in it. I also have, and this is unheard of, a carbon battery from the late 1940's that still has a charge and works in a tube tester! That is so hard to believe but it does.

May 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #428 of 3,609
Whatever happened to the desktop DAC due for launch in June 2012? Almost a year overdue now, and still no news...

May 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #429 of 3,609
Quote:
Whatever happened to the desktop DAC due for launch in June 2012? Almost a year overdue now, and still no news...

Most likely the DAPs are keeping them busy. There are a lot of desktop dacs on the market but IMO, not that many good DAPs. I would imagine it would come down the pike at some time. You could always email iBasso. 

Audio Formats Supported by the DX50: APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, ALAC, OGG, MP3
Weight: 150 grams. 

May 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #430 of 3,609
150g... very nice! It'll be a big device but it'll feel fairly solid. As long as it's lighter than my Lumia 920, I'll be happy :D.

May 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #431 of 3,609
Quote:
Most likely the DAPs are keeping them busy. There are a lot of desktop dacs on the market but IMO, not that many good DAPs. I would imagine it would come down the pike at some time. You could always email iBasso. 

Audio Formats Supported by the DX50: APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, ALAC, OGG, MP3
Weight: 150 grams. 

jamato8, this info is coming from iBasso itself?

May 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #433 of 3,609
If those specs are true this little DAP is sounding better and better by the minute. All that's left now is to find out chip specs and OS. Hopefully iBasso posts a video of the OS in action.

May 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #434 of 3,609
The DX50 is almost exactly the same size as my Rendition 1 amp! 

DX50: 26x64x100mm
Rendition 1: 24.5x65.2x106mm

http://socialcompare.com/en/widget/compare-sizes/ipad-vs-iphone4-vs-rendition-1-vs-dx50-1rc8u7er

It's a sign. 

Looking very much forward to reviews!

May 16, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #435 of 3,609
No word on price or ordering yet though?

With regards to battery I am still getting 11-12 hours reported on my rockboxed iriver h120 running it's original battery.  I've had and caned that thing since pretty much release! 

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back