DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
May 10, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #346 of 1,441
which headphones do you enjoy most,with the 320max?
I haven't had much time with the unit but have tried it with the:

Meze Elite
ZMF Caldera
Sony MDR Z1R
Spirit Valkyria

I found the Meze Elite had the best synergy with the 320max. This surprised me because usually the Valkyria outshines all the others but the Elites are pure magic with the 320max.

May 10, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #347 of 1,441
I'll share an opinion that some will disagree with. I don't feel the 320max has enough power to do justice to the 1266 TC, let alone the Susvara. Sure, you can listen to music and turn it up loud with both headphones but you won't be hearing anything close to what they are capable of with a desktop amp. Pick any well powered $2k desktop amp and it will far outperform the DX320max with the 1266 and the Sus.

May 10, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #349 of 1,441
i agree,i have been mostly using meze elite with the 320max,the synergy is really nice,however, i find the treble to be a little(slightly)
too soft and not as engaging as my former cayin n8II
the cayin had a little more sparkle and brightness up top which helped the elites.
that being said,i do think the elites are excellent with most music on 320 max.
i spent all last night listening to my abyss 1266 tc with the 320max
the 1266tc is far more detailed and transparent and lively than elite,but the elite is far more smoother and musical and refined.
the 1266tc is very "raw" sounding with 320max...
im very curious about diana tc and 320max,as the diana tc is somewhat more refined sounding than 1266tc
another headphone of interest is the dca expanse? bloom audio states on their site that the expanse & arya are good matches?

May 10, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #350 of 1,441
I'll share an opinion that some will disagree with. I don't feel the 320max has enough power to do justice to the 1266 TC, let alone the Susvara. Sure, you can listen to music and turn it up loud with both headphones but you won't be hearing anything close to what they are capable of with a desktop amp. Pick any well powered $2k desktop amp and it will far outperform the DX320max with the 1266 and the Sus.
100% agree!
Desktop is the way to go,for sure
But its fun plugging in the 1266tc to the 320max to see its performance for a very capable portable,such as 320max

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #351 of 1,441
Oh, OK. There is even a price limit. :) Fortunately I have been around enough to avoid such discussions. Anyway... Expanse and Stealth pairings are superb. At gain 4, 12 o'clock (not even half the volume) I am getting very fun and clean rendering. Did the bass improve or is my brain burning in? Expanse and Stealth are my reference / endgame HPs. My reference piece:

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #352 of 1,441
So, I left it overnight and tried it in the morning and shortly compared the two. With Expanse, MAX is leaner in the mid bass meaning M17 has, for example, stronger kicks. But MAX sounds cleaner than M17 overall. I had it also confirmed from a second person.

Sounds like it will be great pairing with Utopia 2022. Can't wait mine to arrive.

May 10, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #353 of 1,441
No doubts about that, technically speaking, the 320Max is a powerhouse for portable and battery operated devices. However, to dream of it to be outdoing the real desktop systems for high demanding headphones is a bit much.

At least, desktop has very high voltage rails, which could be 6-7X stronger than the MaX and that is where it sets the differences. Though, it will not have the ability to be unplugged and get around.

I don’t even use my desktop system much anymore. Simply sitting comfortable at any given moments according to moods, then settle for a great phones that can be driven beautifully by 320MAX is a dream come true, and to me, that is my 800S

May 10, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #354 of 1,441
Having compared the M17 and the 320MAX, there really is no comparison. One is good and sounds very decent the other, the MAX is just a few steps (easily) up in sound quality. I have not heard anything that can compare to the 320MAX. Spatial cues, timbre, the sound of a well recorded piano, are all there.

I have also used the line out to the Cayin 300B MKII (with Duelund cast copper caps). The effortless delivery of sound, openness and dynamics comes through with aplomb. I am using some Very fine Ken-Rad 7193s in the Cayin along with either the Western Electric 300Bs or the Elrog ER300B. So either direct out to the SR3, Utopia or Expanse or out of the Cayin, the sound is non stop excellent.

Listening to INXS Let it Ride and literally got goosebumps all over my body, not just my arms. So vast and huge is the sound and transparent. I had to sit back in my chair and just listen. I have work to do so may have to take off the headphones. lol The sound borders on stuff I would not have imagined possible.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #355 of 1,441
Having compared the M17 and the 320MAX, there really is no comparison. One is good and sounds very decent the other, the MAX is just a few steps (easily) up in sound quality. I have not heard anything that can compare to the 320MAX. Spatial cues, timbre, the sound of a well recorded piano, are all there.

I have also used the line out to the Cayin 300B MKII (with Duelund cast copper caps). The effortless deliver of sound, openness and dynamics comes through with aplomb. I am using some Very fine Ken-Rad 7193s in the Cayin along with either the Western Electric 300Bs or the Elrog ER300B. So either direct out to the SR3, Utopia or Expanse or out of the Cayin, the sound is non stop excellent.

Listening to INXS Let it Ride and literally got goosebumps all over my body, not just my arms. So vast and huge is the sound and transparent. I had to sit back in my chair and just listen. I have work to do so may have to take off the headphones. lol But sound borders on stuff I would not have imagined possible.
Completely agreed about how the 320MAX can be comparable to 300B based desktop system. Together with the excellent tuning and voicing, I have no doubt that it is the perfections I have been seeking for all along. This is just too good to be true. However, when we speak about preferences rather than references, people can always say, their preferred system will outperform the 320MAX :)

May 10, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #356 of 1,441
No doubts about that, technically speaking, the 320Max is a powerhouse for portable and battery operated devices. However, to dream of it to be outdoing the real desktop systems for high demanding headphones is a bit much.

At least, desktop has very high voltage rails, which could be 6-7X stronger than the MaX and that is where it sets the differences. Though, it will not have the ability to be unplugged and get around.

I don’t even use my desktop system much anymore. Simply sitting comfortable at any given moments according to moods, then settle for a great phones that can be driven beautifully by 320MAX is a dream come true, and to me, that is my 800S
Are you eq’ing your hd800s with the 320max?

May 10, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #358 of 1,441
Cheers!! All I need to sit and chill while
Jamming my favorite library
052E5976-91AC-47BD-9ECB-B99CA9920F1C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back