DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
May 12, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #706 of 10,338
Speaking from someone that actually owns m17, dx312, and a topping a30/d30 stack I can confirm that in fact the m17 is neck and neck with my desktop stack.

I'm beginning to think I really need to try this from a "returnable" source (although would be a fortune to ship) and see how it fares with my equipment...as about the only place i would be using it is home and car. Should be very similar sound to the Sabre 9038Pro of my Oppo 205. Also love just the fact alone that so much space there is an unheard-of-for-DAP 6 1/4" jack directly on it for directly accommodating my Pio SE-Master1 cans.

As the reviews come in for the DX320, there will no doubt be M17 comparisons. I do have top-tier streaming capability with Qobuz as well as nearly 100% local DSD files...so I'm going to look at them them very carefully.

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #707 of 10,338
I was quite happy to hear that Ibasso will be updating the dx300 to android 11. Could add 2 more years potentially before the player goes obsolete with my streaming services (Apple Music and Qobuz).

No worry for this scenario at all. I have Android 8 on my LG V30s and these apps run better on that than than the newer OS. For instance on my phone, for whatever reason DSD native playback (a major feature for me) is disabled if you go over Android 9. A10 and above it converts DSD to PCM which is completely against the whole format purpose....so I've fought tooth and nail (package disabler anyone?) to keep my carrier V40 on 9.

You will be done with the DAP well before the apps stop working on it.

I wouldn't say "no worry for this scenario..." just "very little worry". The issue isn't going to be if the apps age out, generally with Android you could just go find an APK of the last version that worked and you'll be fine. That's what keeps some of the older players running Android 5.1 operational, but.... The scenario that could happen is say that someone cracks Tidal's (or Apple's or Qobuz's, etc) DRM and makes it possible to stream with out a valid account or export MQA encoded files onto the disk with no encryption. That's when they could update to work around the flaw and block any lower version from connecting to their service. If the newer version of the app isn't compatible with the older OS that's when they break.
That said, the only positive of the state of OEM update policies on Android is that it's reasonable to expect that a relatively current device will not get updated to a version of Android beyond what it shipped with so software vendors need to keep support for versions of Android older than what we might consider "current" in order to keep customers with last year's phones happy.

May 12, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #708 of 10,338
M17 needs to be mounted on a fan cooled stand and plugged into a wall outlet to see the power advantage it has over a DX320 and I don’t want to be moving around my house with a brick in hand. I am also not a fan of ESS sound signature, though I do like the ESS presentation with a warm sounding IEM.
Not true. Never need the fan or dc jack for power it's an added bonus. But i hope the new ibasso can beat it in audio quality.

May 12, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #709 of 10,338
Someone asked about the pressure needed to power on or off on the volume wheel. It is a little more on the DX320. The wheel doesn't have the clicks like the DX300.

May 12, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #712 of 10,338
Not true. Never need the fan or dc jack for power it's an added bonus. But i hope the new ibasso can beat it in audio quality.

Can the Enhanced Headphone mode work on battery-only power on the M17?

I never knew Enhanced mode can be enabled on battery power.

May 12, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #715 of 10,338
May 12, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #718 of 10,338
You'll find that even an average priced desktop amp is better. A serious power source is big, capacitors take space and so on. If you could have a desktop sound from a "portable" device no manufacturer would make desktop sized amps. It's not like FiiO discovered the secret of miniaturisation and nobody else can do that.

I have a DX220 and two desktop amps, Burson Soloist 3X and Cayin HA-6A. Both are in a different league compared to the DX220. And I don't mean output power, even though both have a lot more power. I don't deny M17 might sound better than DX220 (on battery, while plugged-in it even loses the clean power delivery of a battery), but I am 100% it doesn't get anywhere near a desktop amp.
Voltage swings is everything!! Not to mention that battery has dynamic transient responses limitations. The M17 Eventhough having external PSU mode, is still using the same LDO as it was for battery. Though it isn’t bad as a portable platform. The voltage swing is only 23V max! Any desktop amps are all running 40+ swing normally.
8E3A0A29-47B1-4D91-9BD7-F142E82F3D32.jpeg

IMO, you better be off with something that has true line out and a true desktop amp as you are tethering anyways

May 12, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #719 of 10,338
Because of battery dynamic transient responds, both Dx300/320 are using Dual Battery systems . So that each battery is responding to either Analog or digital alone. This trims down the load if you were to use only 1 single battery pack

Quoted: The transient response is considered as a reaction to an applied load variation that typically corresponds to normal operating conditions

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back