DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 3, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #3,661 of 10,324
Lol I don't know about that.

Anyone with DX320 can confirm my finding ? Try install GoFigure from Chord. Can you tell sound difference ?

Play the same music via Mango Player before and after install.
So what are you thinking, that the app may be adding some DSP that colors the sound?

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,663 of 10,324
Yes. My finding is other audio app you install have effect on overall SQ on DAP.
Even though all the bigger music player apps (Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, Mango, Fiio, etc...) are bit-perfect, they do indeed sound different to each other due to different algorithms used in their programming. You are most likely correct about the app you are talking about because it sounds like it "grabs" whatever app you are using at that time (or something to that nature).

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #3,664 of 10,324
Even though all the bigger music player apps (Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, Mango, Fiio, etc...) are bit-perfect, they do indeed sound different to each other due to different algorithms used in their programming. You are most likely correct about the app you are talking about because it sounds like it "grabs" whatever app you are using at that time (or something to that nature).
So what the difference you hear after install GoFigure ?

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,665 of 10,324
So what the difference you hear after install GoFigure ?
I did not install it. Reading the reviews, it appears to crash a lot, and I don't really want that on my system. Plus, I have no real use for this software. :) What are you using it for (if you don't mind me asking)? Streaming from your DX to your Chord poly streaming device wirelessly?

In the settings it looks like you can turn on bit-perfect. If you are hearing differences, this might be what you are hearing. Software bit-perfect option is DSP, so it will color the sound slightly.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3,666 of 10,324
I did not install it. Reading the reviews, it appears to crash a lot, and I don't really want that on my system. Plus, I have no real use for this software. :) What are you using it for (if you don't mind me asking)? Streaming from your DX to your Chord poly streaming device wirelessly?

In the settings it looks like you can turn on bit-perfect. If you are hearing differences, this might be what you are hearing. Software bit-perfect option is DSP, so it will color the sound slightly.
Ironically, yes!

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,667 of 10,324
I kinda want to return mine ?!? I didn’t know the dx320 had so many issues

Personally, I hear zero difference with the 11.2 stock amp card on the latest firmware. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, my ears simply don't notice it.

My only real issue is with the AMP13 card not being properly being shielded enough to get a crackling noise while using WiFi. Fortunately most streaming services allow you to download music so you can play offline.

Initially I was hopeful that iBasso could fix it via a firmware update but if it's not shielded properly, I see no way that software could fix this issue. Maybe mitigate it, but it will always be there to some degree.

iBasso had to have caught this in testing. There is no way it wasn't caught. My best guess is they couldn't properly shield it for some reason but that is speculation.

Outside that I have zero regrets purchasing the DX320 although I might end up selling the AMP13, I find myself mostly using the stock 11.2 amp card more and more.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #3,668 of 10,324
And add to that the EMI/RFI issue with Amp 13, where DX320‘s own WiFi reportedly causes crackling. Would be a major road block for me, though for sure not for others.
Initially I was hopeful that iBasso could fix it via a firmware update but if it's not shielded properly, I see no way that a software update could fix this issue. Maybe mitigate it, but it will always be there to some degree.

iBasso had to have caught this in testing. There is no way it wasn't caught. My best guess is they couldn't properly shield it for some reason but that is speculation. I personally would have preferred they delayed it IF there was a way to shield it properly.

Outside that I have zero regrets purchasing the DX320 although I might end up selling the AMP13, I find myself mostly using the stock 11.2 amp card more and more. I personally don't hear any difference in firmware but I also have not gone back to the OG firmware after updating.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,669 of 10,324
Personally, I hear zero difference with the 11.2 stock amp card on the latest firmware. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, my ears simply don't notice it.

My only real issue is with the AMP13 card not being properly being shielded enough to get a crackling noise while using WiFi. Fortunately most streaming services allow you to download music so you can play offline.

Initially I was hopeful that iBasso could fix it via a firmware update but if it's not shielded properly, I see no way that software could fix this issue. Maybe mitigate it, but it will always be there to some degree.

iBasso had to have caught this in testing. There is no way it wasn't caught. My best guess is they couldn't properly shield it for some reason but that is speculation.

Outside that I have zero regrets purchasing the DX320 although I might end up selling the AMP13, I find myself mostly using the stock 11.2 amp card more and more.
Shielding takes room. I doubt there is any. People wanted a tube amp and they got it. There is only so much room. Having worked with tubes for many years, starting in the late 1960s, these are issues and sometimes they can be corrected and sometimes not. What the AMP13 does, IMO, is great. AK has the same issue. Sometimes there isn't room unless you produce a brick.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,670 of 10,324
Shielding takes room. I doubt there is any. People wanted a tube amp and they got it. There is only so much room. Having worked with tubes for many years, starting in the late 1960s, these are issues and sometimes they can be corrected and sometimes not. What the AMP13 does, IMO, is great. AK has the same issue. Sometimes there isn't room unless you produce a brick.
Thanks for the info. I was unaware that AK DAPs have the same issue, at least to some degree as I've never personally heard an AK DAP before.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,671 of 10,324
I’m guessing the n8ii doesn’t have this problem ?

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #3,672 of 10,324
No the N8ii does not - not one report that I've see at least
My buddy bought a AK SP2000T 'recently' and he knew about the crackling so that was his target to check if it did
But it doesn't so I suppose AK worked on that issue

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #3,673 of 10,324
Not that I remember but I don't stream much. But it is big enough for shielding. Also you want room to cool and shielding can interfere with that.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,674 of 10,324
No the N8ii does not - not one report that I've see at least
My buddy bought a AK SP2000T 'recently' and he knew about the crackling so that was his target to check if it did
But it doesn't so I suppose AK worked on that issue
It seems some have it and some don't.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,675 of 10,324
It seems some have it and some don't.
Apparently or better yes it did
But it was a DAP I was looking to get so followed it all pretty closely and - but I might be wrong - it where the first released models having the crackling
I didn't see any issue posted anymore in a long time talking about people who bought a new SP2000T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back