DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #604 of 2,804
I had already suspected a few pages beforehand that the DX 300 would do a bit better in terms of sound. The high technical effort has to make itself noticeable somewhere. There is nothing to be said about the basic price, the DX 300 is not twice as expensive only 300 USD. We don't need to talk about Mobilataet clearly, the points go to the DX 240. That was a comparison with the DX 300 Amp 11 MK I or MKII? I don't like MK I at all because of the screaming upper mids. MKI can only be used with Dorado 2020 and to a limited extent with the Focal Celestee. It's just plain cruel with Mest MKII. With AMP 12 it looks much better, of course, because the mids have been taken back a bit. How extreme is the difference between DX 312 and DX 240 ???
I'm guessing that MK I was the amp that shipped with the 300 when it first came out? Shortly after the release of the 300 is when I had one in my possession for 2 or 3 days. I'm assuming it had amp11 MKI. I wasn't much of a fan of it either (versus the 220). Never heard amp 11 MKII or amp 12.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #605 of 2,804
Yes. The first ones with 11 MK I and then with MKII. Then definitely listen with amp 12. From what I hear he's a lot better. As good as everyone who has Den DX 300 and Amp 12 is of this opinion. It's perfect for me and goes very well with many IEMs and headphones. And most importantly, it drives all common headphones up to 300 ohms without any major problems. The AMP 11 MK II is also said to have a tendency to scream in the midrange with some IEMs. But I've never heard it myself.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #606 of 2,804
Unfortunately, I can't listen to the 300 with Amp 12. It was a friends DAP. I doubt that he bought amp 12 but even if he did, he's not local to me any longer so I don't have access to the player. I wasn't a fan of the 300's ergonomics anyway so I'd pass on the 300 even if I favored the sonics.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #607 of 2,804
Yeah my amp11.2 definitely has screaming upper mids with the xelentos. Everything else is is great- great soundstage width (one of the widest i have ever experienced, tube-like warmth, mellow hights). The amp12 solves all of the issues due to the laid back mids. Amp12 has just a tiny bit narrower stage but is way deeper and creates fantastic holography- very coherent sound with perfect bass and more brilliance on hights. Combined with NOS filter, the stage is filled completely- no missing parts, the sounds resonate and bounce off the walls. It sounds life-like. Standing on the balcony and listening to a Hans Zimmer concert in Prague, I am losing the impression of listening to the headphones and become the direct recipient of the performance. Awesome experience.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #608 of 2,804
Unfortunately, I can't listen to the 300 with Amp 12. It was a friends DAP. I doubt that he bought amp 12 but even if he did, he's not local to me any longer so I don't have access to the player. I wasn't a fan of the 300's ergonomics anyway so I'd pass on the 300 even if I favored the sonics.
So portability matters allot to you. Makes sense to get the 240

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #609 of 2,804
Let the fun begin :L3000:

img3963.jpg

img3964.jpg
8EX, 9, and 8

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #611 of 2,804
I really need a clear review for dx240 against dx300 for SQ comparison. My local dealer has the last units of dx300 and I need to hurry with my decision...need to to know which one has better sound quality overall... :)
Ground control to @twister6. Kindly help the guy out! :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #612 of 2,804
That 9 isn't going in for sure :slight_frown:

Indeed 9 won't fit as is. But you can remove the tube module since it is connected via ribbon cable (@Whitigir will have a fit about it, lol). You can pull the module outboard and insert the board. I don't think the firmware recognized it so it didn't play anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think iBasso has done a nice job with Amp1 Mk3. Amp8 improved the bass bringing more thickness, and Amp8EX shifts the bass more towards subbass to improve speed/clarity, just as it did with DX220.

I want to understand the treble of this device relative to DX300/DX300Max... With this song (@aaf evo 's test track), after 2:20~ there are series of high pitched electronic sweeps. These sweeps comes through with distinct electronic sound in DX300Max, at near piercing levels. With DX240, this is very smooth and sounds different. Maybe someone with 300/3Max can compare with 240 and let me know.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #613 of 2,804
Indeed 9 won't fit as is. But you can remove the tube module since it is connected via ribbon cable (@Whitigir will have a fit about it, lol). You can pull the module outboard and insert the board. I don't think the firmware recognized it so it didn't play anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think iBasso has done a nice job with Amp1 Mk3. Amp8 improved the bass bringing more thickness, and Amp8EX shifts the bass more towards subbass to improve speed/clarity, just as it did with DX220.

I want to understand the treble of this device relative to DX300/DX300Max... With this song (@aaf evo 's test track), after 2:20~ there are series of high pitched electronic sweeps. These sweeps comes through with distinct electronic sound in DX300Max, at near piercing levels. With DX240, this is very smooth and sounds different. Maybe someone with 300/3Max can compare with 240 and let me know.

I always known the tubes is via Ribbon cables. It is typical for Nutubes, and I don’t mind that, because it is essentials for Nutubes

Did you succeed in installing the whole Amp9 without the chassis ? And it didn’t work ?

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #614 of 2,804
I always known the tubes is via Ribbon cables. It is typical for Nutubes, and I don’t mind that, because it is essentials for Nutubes

Did you succeed in installing the whole Amp9 without the chassis ? And it didn’t work ?
Ah ok.. 9 is a no-go as is. Tubes don't light up. Firmware or other config needed.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #615 of 2,804

Tried it on the dx312/Xelentos->UAPP/Tidal. It wasnt piercing but sharp and quite dimensional. Not smoothed out but not harsh as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back