DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 18, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #526 of 2,804
Does anyone know where you buy the faceplates to adapt AMP 8 for the DX240?

Like to know this too. My amps are itching to play :persevere:

img3944.jpg

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #527 of 2,804
To add some color to his reviews which I have followed for some time...

He likes DX220Max > DX300Max
His main DAP was (is?) Cayin R01
He likes RS6 > R8SS
He likes RS6 > Shanling M8
He thinks RS6 competes with DX300, not DX240 (240 is over 100g lighter than RS6)

Food for thought :sweat_smile:
Not any food I want to feed on. :^)

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #528 of 2,804
To add some color to his reviews which I have followed for some time...

He likes DX220Max > DX300Max
His main DAP was (is?) Cayin R01
He likes RS6 > R8SS
He likes RS6 > Shanling M8
He thinks RS6 competes with DX300, not DX240 (240 is over 100g lighter than RS6)

Food for thought :sweat_smile:

Yup, I got that from the translation as well, thanks. I guess Dethonray is more of a low key newer Chinese brand that only a few people know so I guess I am not expecting to see that in that comparison, but its good to see the $400 more expensive RS6 be considered a higher ranking, by the price it should be. But is it $400 better sounding is the real question? I've heard the RS6 takes ALOT of tweaking due to the many options in the player. Also around the same price range are the older AK SE100 and the Caiyin N6ii. it's a very competitive price point.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #530 of 2,804
No, I don’t know what reviewers you are reading. I do understand that even reading reviews, you will gravitate toward your most biased points , be it “prices, form, features”. However, IMO, the Dx160 is greatly different than DX220.

Let’s just say, they both share the same power supply design (which they don’t) because they both use 1 battery pack. So they are both DAP as a DAP. The Dx160 has a lot of differences in sound signatures, for example an ESS VS Cirrus as I mentioned above. The Dx160 is warmer than Dx220, and the treble sparkling are not as well retrieved as Dx220.

Yes, the Dx160 is a lot of bang for the buck, but if you are telling me that Dx160 is so great that it is the equivalent of Dx220, then no…it isn’t. I would and I did, always grab Dx220 whenever I could.

Now, I grab both 3MaxTi and Dx300 equally.

The differences between DAP is very small, and could be said to be negligible. It depends on a person point of view. For example

1/ Person A is a desktop user, and to him, moving from a cheap Schiit amplifier to a GSX amplifier is an upgrade. He could easily deem that Dx220 isn’t as much different to DX160. Because he never considered portability as a feature, and never cared enough about the little output power by a DAP enough to justify it. Then he is right in his own view

2/ Person B is a person who is all about on the go with portability in mind. Eventhough he is using the same headphones as A. He can easily deem that the Dx220 is a lot better than Dx160. Then B is also right in his own view.

Both are right, and neither is wrong. Just because the facts of DAP to DAP is not as much different than Desktop Vs Desktop, and that is a fact. Also, let alone when you compare the differences between DAP-DAP VS DAP-Desktop in perceivable upgradability

That is why there are so much confusing in this hobby, and that is where technical aspect will come to mind. You judge it from it technical prowess, the THD, the power output, the DAC chips…etc…because everything counts…because money is money. But once you just don’t care about all of it, and only personal preferences matter, then there is only 1 choice “listen to them each one by yourself, and pick your best option, then share with us”

Anyways, it is always good to have options
Definitely. I could have gotten the DX220 or M11Pro but i got the Dx160 instead because it wasn't too far off what the other two offered but was much much more portable.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #532 of 2,804
This is me joining the party. Got the DX240 a couple of days back. Still taking it through its paces but first impressions are solid! Looking forward to trying DX240 + AMP8 too, especially with my headphones collection. For now, I've been listening to Porcupine Tree's recently released 'Harridan' on loop, which is their first track in 12 years. Great production with Gavin Harrison killing it on drums. Love the guitar and drum tones too. Prog lovers should definitely check it out!

I've mainly been using DX240 with Tanchjim Prism (which I'm currently finishing the review for) and Softears RS10. Good combos!

iBasso DX240.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #533 of 2,804
This is me joining the party. Got the DX240 a couple of days back. Still taking it through its paces but first impressions are solid! Looking forward to trying DX240 + AMP8 too, especially with my headphones collection. For now, I've been listening to Porcupine Tree's recently released 'Harridan' on loop, which is their first track in 12 years. Great production with killer drumming and production. Prog lovers should definitely check it out!

I've mainly been using DX240 with Tanchjim Prism (which I'm currently finishing the review for) and Softears RS10. Good combos!

iBasso DX240.jpeg

do you have any quick fire impressions to share about its overall tonality and presentation?

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #534 of 2,804
do you have any quick fire impressions to share about its overall tonality and presentation?

I haven't spent a lot of time with it, so these are my very first impressions for you. They might change over time once I try it with all my favourite IEMs and headphones properly, so take 'em lightly for now. Haha. :)

I've only used it with stock AMP1 MK3. My last reference was HiBy R6 2020 and compared to that, the first thing I noticed was that DX240 has a clearer, more open and slightly wider and deeper soundstage. What particularly stood out to me was that it has a very clean and clear sounding centre image with very good separation - left to right as well as along the depth. It is more resolving of the two. Treble is richer and more detailed and it has a blacker background too.

I'll post more impressions whenever I can.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you're particularly interested in a pair-up with an IEM or headphone I have.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #535 of 2,804
I haven't spent a lot of time with it, so these are my very first impressions for you. They might change over time once I try it with all my favourite IEMs and headphones properly, so take 'em lightly for now. Haha. :)

I've only used it with stock AMP1 MK3. My last reference was HiBy R6 2020 and compared to that, the first thing I noticed is that DX240 has a clearer, more open and slightly wider and deeper soundstage. What particularly stood out to me was that it has a very clean and clear sounding centre image with very good separation - left to right as well as along the depth. It is more resolving of the two. Treble is richer and more detailed and it has a blacker background too.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you're particularly interested in pair-ups with an IEM or headphone I have.

Thanks! Would you say overall the tonality leans towards neutral / bright? What about any emphasis on IEM FR? For example, I found the HIBY RS6 to have quite a mid range emphasis and push it forward compared to the bass and treble, relatively speaking.

Appreciate it.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #536 of 2,804
Thanks! Would you say overall the tonality leans towards neutral / bright? What about any emphasis on IEM FR? For example, I found the HIBY RS6 to have quite a mid range emphasis and push it forward compared to the bass and treble, relatively speaking.

Appreciate it.
RS6 or R6 2020?

For now, I've tried DX240 with Softears RS10, Moondrop Blessing2, S8 and Tanchjim Prism and to me it sounds neutral with very good resolution and separation. I don't hear it emphasising any frequency range particularly.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #538 of 2,804
This is me joining the party. Got the DX240 a couple of days back. Still taking it through its paces but first impressions are solid! Looking forward to trying DX240 + AMP8 too, especially with my headphones collection. For now, I've been listening to Porcupine Tree's recently released 'Harridan' on loop, which is their first track in 12 years. Great production with Gavin Harrison killing it on drums. Love the guitar and drum tones too. Prog lovers should definitely check it out!

iBasso DX240.jpeg

Great taste in music. Where it's possible to get the faceplates and the leather case?

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #539 of 2,804

I've only used it with stock AMP1 MK3. My last reference was HiBy R6 2020 and compared to that, the first thing I noticed was that DX240 has a clearer, more open and slightly wider and deeper soundstage. What particularly stood out to me was that it has a very clean and clear sounding centre image with very good separation - left to right as well as along the depth. It is more resolving of the two. Treble is richer and more detailed and it has a blacker background too.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you're particularly interested in a pair-up with an IEM or headphone I have.
From my experience with iBasso (i had 4 iBasso daps), i would say that the staging and the separation is their specialty. Always very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back