DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #571 of 2,804
I also think that the DX 240 is very good. I just wanted to say that the DX 300 is definitely worth the 300 USD in additional costs. Perhaps, according to Ichos, especially for people who don't just listen to EDM. In any case, I think it's impressive like the DX312, for example. Reproduces jazz, rock or soul. But everyone has a different taste and each ear also hears differently. Anyway, I'm very happy that I have the DX312. I don't want to miss it anymore. But let's see for on the way, the DX 240 could also please me if a new AMP card with a 4.4 connection comes out.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #572 of 2,804
I have already mentioned that it is MKI.

I have not compared with the Amp 12 to keep it more balanced and fair for the DX240.

Anyway in order not to be misunderstood, I am not ditching the DX240.

DX240 is an excellent sounding player with great form factor and I am probably going to award it a five star rating.

The op asked about a sound comparison and yes for my tastes the DX300 is definitely better.
Why?
Because it sounds closer to reality, instruments have a more lifelike timbre and the whole presentation is more engaging, musical, analog.
It is not deniable.

If you listen to electronic music and such stuff don't bother , it doesn't matter.

So again, the DX240 is an excellent small form factor player.

I have already mentioned in my original post but people seem to read in haste.
Thank You very much for your review and impressions! That really helped me to make overall picture about sound qualities of these two dap's! In my country dx240 is for about 900-950€ and dx300 is for 1099€. All my headphones (Focal Clear, Audeze-X, HD650) have 4.4 and 3.5mm jacks, so if I go for dx240 i will need to purchase a good adapter for about 30-40€ and if there will be no faceplates for amp modules I'll have to buy them separately additional (for about 100€?). So the price difference between these two daps become very small overall :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #573 of 2,804
I have already mentioned in my original post but people seem to read in haste.

I think the reason for that is the way in which you worded your post and the order of the words in your post.

I am comparing sound and in my opinion it is not only 3% difference.
If you listen to electronic music and such stuff don't bother , it doesn't matter.

It would have been useful if you had mentioned the type of music your post was referencing and the type of music you prefer to listen to with the Dx300.

I agree with you that if your personal taste in music leans more towards classical/vocal types of music and you are looking for that
more engaging, musical, analog
Sound then the DX300 is better suited for this type of listening experience.

If however your music taste is more rock/edm/pop AND you preference's lean more towards cost, portability, design and weight, then the DX240 is the better option for you.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #575 of 2,804
Thank You very much for your review and impressions! That really helped me to make overall picture about sound qualities of these two dap's! In my country dx240 is for about 900-950€ and dx300 is for 1099€. All my headphones (Focal Clear, Audeze-X, HD650) have 4.4 and 3.5mm jacks, so if I go for dx240 i will need to purchase a good adapter for about 30-40€ and if there will be no faceplates for amp modules I'll have to buy them separately additional (for about 100€?). So the price difference between these two daps become very small overall :)

There is an eBay listing at the moment from a main iBasso distributor in Europe that is selling the DX240 including leather case and the 3 Amp plates for 812 Euros

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/audioheavenstore

I have just purchased one from them and it's currently on its way to me. I sold my original green one as I wanted a black one along with the leather case and Amp plates to be able to install the AMP 8 module. I will let you know when it arrives (currently scheduled for Monday) and once I have the AMP 8 installed, I will do a review using that AMP.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #576 of 2,804
I think the reason for that is the way in which you worded your post and the order of the words in your post.

It would have been useful if you had mentioned the type of music your post was referencing and the type of music you prefer to listen to with the Dx300.

I would agree with you that if your personal taste in music leans more towards classical/vocal types of music and you are looking for that

Sound then the DX300 is better suited for this type of listening experience.

If however your music taste is more rock/edm/pop AND you preference's lean more towards cost, portability, design and weight, then the DX240 is the better option for you.
Exactly what I have written in my original post, sorry thought for forgetting to mention the test playlist.
Regarding the wording, I was writing in haste and as English is not my native language I have not found the time to edit it.
I mentioned right from the beginning that this is a brief comparison for the original op who asked for one.
A better versed option will be available in the DX240 review.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #577 of 2,804
Nov 25, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #578 of 2,804
The DX300 vs DX240 is a difference between CS vs ESS house sound and they are certainly different.
If people can't tell the difference or don't care or listen to music where it doesn't matter or belong to the camp where all the DACs sound the same, then it is OK, just skip on such comparisons.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #579 of 2,804
Amp 8 with 4.4mm Pentaconn is already here and fits the DX240 with the Amp Plates.
Amp 8 isn't there already, it's still there. It was good, I mean it is from 2017 ??? I prefer to wait for a new version ala AMP 8 EX MKII. Especially in the AMP area, iBasso has grown when I hear the differences between Amp 11 and 12. But ok, it's all a matter of taste. But I promise myself a bit better sound from a new module with a 4.4 connection. Can of course also deceive me. In any case, then I don't need to buy all the front panels. Besides, I'm not in a hurry. If the right pants are chosen, the DX 312 also fits in well.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #580 of 2,804

I agree. Based on my listening and the A/B comparison of the DX240 vs DX300, There wasn't much difference between the 2 (DX300 was maybe 3% better) but thats using my ears and using my taste in music (EDM/ROCK/POP).

So for me (personally), the 3% difference in music quality wasn't a big deal.

What was a big deal for me (when choosing which route to take DX240 or DX300) was the stupid design choice on the DX300 for the volume/power knob and buttons.

The DX300 buttons and volume knob are horrendous when trying to use them in a case and when the DAP is in your pocket. The volume wheel constantly gets knocked on the Dx300 and turns off the DAP due to it's poor design. The buttons are almost unusable when in a case.

iBasso fixed these issues with the DX240 so for me (after A/B of both units) the DX240 wins hands down.

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #581 of 2,804
I agree. Based on my listening and the A/B comparison of the DX240 vs DX300, There wasn't much difference between the 2 (DX300 was maybe 3% better) but thats using my ears and using my taste in music (EDM/ROCK/POP).

So for me (personally), the 3% difference in music quality wasn't a big deal.

What was a big deal for me (when choosing which route to take DX240 or DX300) was the stupid design choice on the DX300 for the volume/power knob and buttons.

The DX300 buttons and volume knob are horrendous when trying to use them in a case and when the DAP is in your pocket. The volume wheel constantly gets knocked on the Dx300 and turns off the DAP due to it's poor design. The buttons are almost unusable when in a case.

iBasso fixed these issues with the DX240 so for me (after A/B of both units) the DX240 wins hands down.
Lol.
I respect your view.
the 240 is really a Compact Super Dap, almost the same weight as the 229...

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #582 of 2,804
Every view is respected and the end user is called to judge and decide according to needs and preferences.

For example, I don't use a DAP outside my home.
So I don't care about form factor, portability etc.
I care about the best possible sound (for my music) and power to drive full size headphones.
So I lean on DAP like DX300 or M17.
Of course while reviewing I have to think about what other people might like and not me.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #583 of 2,804
Every view is respected and the end user is called to judge and decide according to needs and preferences.

For example, I don't use a DAP outside my home.
So I don't care about form factor, portability etc.
I care about the best possible sound (for my music) and power to drive full size headphones.
So I lean on DAP like DX300 or M17.
Of course while reviewing I have to think about what other people might like and not me.

That is a KEY bit of information.

In other words, your using a DAP as a home DAC/AMP setup :xf_confused:

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #584 of 2,804
That is a KEY bit of information.

In other words, your using a DAP as a home DAC/AMP setup :xf_confused:
Yes, but is got nothing to do with the sound performance alone. 😉
And I was comparing sound performance alone and not overall performance.
That is what the OP asked.
For a regular sized DAP I would choose the DX240 or the M11 Plus with the first being even more portable with very good technical performance and sound.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #585 of 2,804
I were or i werent? lol

I think i just laid out the similarities and differences. Advantages and disadvantages.
I dont think i wrote I preferred one over the other overall. Each I prefer in different situations.
Their form and functions serve different aims with some commonality between them

Or i am reading too much into this - so ignore me. lol 😂

0E24B3D4-AEE5-42DA-9A88-3DE7B30C3394.jpeg
It was good enough to make me buy it, so..thanks..
Btw, do you think it's worth waiting for dedicated amp cards for this or should i get amp8..hmm
Advanced MP3 players in UK has both the dap and leather case+faceplates in stock so i ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back