DX220 Thread for software requests.
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #362 of 418
Hello @Paul - iBasso - in reading some of the recent posts over in the main DX220 thread regarding navigating and searching for music on our beloved devices it motivated me to again post a short list of what I consider priority enhancements/improvements that would be beneficial for most owners and highly improve the ability to quickly find what we want to listen to and also make the Playlists capabilities better.

I would appreciate it if you/iBasso could acknowledge that these are being worked on or at least considered for a future FW update.

Of course, I realize there are other requests that have been made and understand that one person (me) shouldn't dictate what happens - but at least I am trying to be open and transparent so the next FW release isn't a mystery box surprise. Anyways, here is my list, for better or worse:
  1. Alphanumeric based jump forward/back to facilitate quickly navigating long lists of artists, songs, etc. Many other DAPs and most modern smartphones have this capability so it shouldn't be "reinventing the wheel".
  2. Scroll position retention when returning to a prior list instead of positioning view at the beginning/top of the listing. Sometimes it does remember the scroll position but most of the time it goes to the beginning/top which is frustrating to then have to scroll back down a long listing to get back where you were/want to be. Should retain scroll position across power off/on cycles as well.
  3. Under Artist menu please have the option to at least display by either Album or by Song. Currently in Mango Mode we only see Albums listed under any given Artist. In Android we see Albums with an option at the top for All Songs – but picking that does not display All Songs but instead starts playing them. From the current song display there is a pulldown at the top which shows all songs by the artist but that is a roundabout way of getting that list and again only in Android Mode...
  4. Playlist enhancements – would like the ability to name/rename playlists in Mango Mode like we can in Android Mode and define or change the order of play of songs within a playlist. Also, please display the Album that a song in the Playlist is from if possible on the second row after the Artist name separated with a / character. We can now import and export playlists between Android and Mango modes so that is greatly appreciated and avoids having to recreate information on both sides from scratch – would be nice to add an Import function from within the Playlist menus instead of having to navigate to the directory containing the Exported Playlist to then click on those files for the option to Import.
  5. I have given up on Search capability being integrated into Mango Mode based on several responses back from Paul – but if items 1 & 3 are incorporated then it will result in greatly improved navigation to find/listen to what we want quickly and with much less wasted scrolling above or below the desired target.
Please let me know if you need any other information or details.

Hope you, your family, and the iBasso team are staying safe and healthy given the COVID-19 situation.

Best Regards,
Tim

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #363 of 418
2. Scroll position retention when returning to a prior list instead of positioning view at the beginning/top of the listing. Sometimes it does remember the scroll position but most of the time it goes to the beginning/top which is frustrating to then have to scroll back down a long listing to get back where you were/want to be. Should retain scroll position across power off/on cycles as well.

In the past, the previous scroll position was not working under MangoOS, but this was fixed in a previous firmware.
If the problem still exists at another place, i suggest to be more concrete and describe when it exactly happens or how to reproduce the bug.
Also please add if you have the problem with Android or MangoOS.
During ON/OFF is a separate new feature request, i woudn't call this a bug.

You post is not very clear if you are talking about the same location where it sometimes happen and sometimes not, or if you mean just different other locations where it always happens.

Precise information how to reproduce a bug is very valueable for a developer,
otherwise it might not be found if the developer hasn't a clue how to reproduce it.

Feb 20, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #364 of 418
In the past, the previous scroll position was not working under MangoOS, but this was fixed in a previous firmware.
If the problem still exists at another place, i suggest to be more concrete and describe when it exactly happens or how to reproduce the bug.
Also please add if you have the problem with Android or MangoOS.
During ON/OFF is a separate new feature request, i woudn't call this a bug.

You post is not very clear if you are talking about the same location where it sometimes happen and sometimes not, or if you mean just different other locations where it always happens.

Precise information how to reproduce a bug is very valueable for a developer,
otherwise it might not be found if the developer hasn't a clue how to reproduce it.
I understand that I did not provide specific details on the scroll position retention issue - primarily because I did not sit down and document each and every case where it does not do what is expected which is to return the scroll position to the exact location where one entered from the previous listing. I primarily use Mango Mode, probably 95+% of the time, and find that scroll position is semi-retained.

For example going the Artist route - I have 15 albums by Rush. First have to scroll way down my listing of over 400 artists to get to Rush, then scroll down to Hold Your Fire album which is the 10th of the 15 and down a screen and a half, now select the song Tai Shan which is the 9th track and again required a scroll down - play the track. Okay, return to the track listing and position is remember (good), return a level - position not remember - back at the top of the album list, return a level - position is remembered and still at Rush (good). Select Rush again and the position is not remembered on the current album playing. Scroll down to Hold Your Fire, which is highlighted, and select - position of current playing song is not remembered - have to scroll down to Tai Shan. So sometimes the position is retained and sometimes not.

Album view works pretty well - positions retained for the most part. However, if there are more tracks then one screen worth and you scroll down - that position is not remembered. For example I scroll down hundreds of albums to get to The Best of Foghat, scroll down to play track 9 - Eight Days on the Road and select. Go back to track listing and position is remembered (good), go back to album level and position remembered (good), go back into The Best of Foghat album and position is not remembered of the currently playing track - have to scroll down to get to Eight Days on the Road which is highlighted and playing. So, working mostly as expected.

Directory view works the same as Album view - scroll position mostly retained except when going back to a currently playing song in a given directory which positions at the top of the listing instead of at the track playing.

All Music path - positioned retained except if you back out to top level My Music view then reenter All Music where current song playing is not in view/remembered but instead you are at the top of the listing.

Just spent some time in Android Mode and it looks like the behaviors are the same as noted above.

Hopefully this helps them figure it out - to make a gross oversimplification - reminds me of that childhood story of Hansel and Gretel and having a trail of pebbles to follow back and forth so you know where you came from and how to get home... For whatever that useless tidbit is worth!

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #365 of 418
Hi Tim,
that's a very good and detailled bug description and that is exactly what i mean.
With this the developers could reproduce the bug or what is missing in the flow and fix it.

I just hope that when life in China hopefully in the near future went back to normal, @Paul - iBasso would forward this description to the developers that it isn't lost.

Cheers
Christoph

Feb 20, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #366 of 418
Hi Tim,
that's a very good and detailled bug description and that is exactly what i mean.
With this the developers could reproduce the bug or what is missing in the flow and fix it.

I just hope that when life in China hopefully in the near future went back to normal, @Paul - iBasso would forward this description to the developers that it isn't lost.

Cheers
Christoph
Thanks Christoph - I am persistent if nothing else and definitely want to see the DX220 improved for all owners and these would also benefit future products, etc.

Agree that putting the COVID-19 tragedy in the rearview mirror can't happen soon enough.

Kind Regards,
Tim

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #367 of 418
Hello @Paul - iBasso - checking in to see if you and the iBasso team have had a chance to digest the requests above on this page, the follow-up information provided, and can provide any insights into incorporating/addressing these requests in a future FW update. Realizing, of course, that making sure everyone is safe and healthy is the first priority out there for sure.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tim

P.S. - thanks again for the help with getting a replacement battery coordinated with John for me!

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #368 of 418
Would be awesome to get the same gui for mango mode as mango app has in androind. With the same/similar theme and pictures next tobartist name when sorting through artist menu.

May 27, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #370 of 418
There is one quite important and very Hi-Fi feature that is missing: There is no option to set the display's colour temperature to 6500K.

Many people myself included care as much about display fidelity as audio fidelity and I assume this would be easy to fix.

May 27, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #371 of 418
Due to pandemic Covid19 crisis I have missed a lot of information regarding to DX220 max. Maybe this is a dumb question: is there any DX220max for sale yet since I don’t see on ibasso website? Thanks for help.

May 27, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #372 of 418
May 27, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #374 of 418
Hello @Paul - iBasso - hope all is well with you and the iBasso team - I imagine you are all very busy with the soon to be released DX220Max...

I am hoping that you and the team have had a chance to digest and consider the requests in this post above on this page: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/post-15474828 with the follow-up clarifications in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/post-15477318

Can we expect a FW update for the DX220 in the near future? Will any of these items be addressed/incorporated?

I would imagine that these changes will benefit the DX220Max as well depending on how similar it might be to the DX220.

Best Regards,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back